Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2012 NK1 Full exhaust system with ivan's flash flash. Still loving it.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't come up with anything so sorry if this has been brought up before. I'm wondering what times to expect in the 1/4 mile? This calculator is saying that at 7 00 lbs and 125 hp with a perfect run I could get 10.38 @ 130 MpH is this realistic with stock bike with slip ons?http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not quite a Ninja but my 2011 z1000 best run with PCv and slip on's and quickshifter with a very ordinary pilot (me) did 11.08 over the 1/4:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had vmax and this calculator said that at 800 lbs and 120 hp I should be able to get I think 11.30 but my best was 11.60 so by this I was thinking that I might be able to get around 10.50 or so but maybe not from what your saying. Thats disappointing. When I go to the drag strip I'll post my times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I said it has a lot to do with the pilot so there's a fair chance you could do sub 11's no problem. Be interested to see what you can do.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I researched 10.60-10.80 times for the stock 14. Normally you add about .3-.5 for a non-pro rider.

I looked at this way... a bike that the rags get 11 seconds or slower is pretty slow to me. Once you are on a 9-10 second bike *unless its an s1000rr its going to be a lot about rider and conditions. s1000rr is a cheater :) (and yeah I wish I was a younger version of myself so I could ride it without needing pt)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for the info. Now I have something to shoot for. US 131 drag strip is having a test and tune this weekend but if I go over 120mph with out full leathers they kick you off the track. I need to find a good and cheap two peace suit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you can get low 11's you are kicking ***... the rags have all day for their 130lb rider get those times.

Anytime you are on a 10 sec capable bike rolling down the road and have a 'speed contest' its really about who jumps first. Our torque and gearing can hijack superbikes who are not paying attention.. they will reel you in... but they need to work for it LOL.

For drags I would probably consider a longer wheel base bike like a zx14 or a busa. But let us know how it goes! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Time slips from yesterday's birthday present from my wife.
Turned out to be racer appreciation day so it only cost her 20.00 to get in for both of us as the tech card was free.
I guess track was cold or had already had an issue and they were heating it up and dragging the launch pads when I first pulled into staging after tech inspection. Then had two different cars leak oil on the track. Oh Damn that sucked. Set there from 1:30 till 3:30. Uhhhggg!
First pass felt OK but after getting the slip was disappointed with the 11.02. I'll look at the video tomorrow and see how ugly it really was.
Second pass went good, cut a better light, down from a .171 to a .107 and the launch felt good. Sucked I hit the rev limiter in third though but still pulled out a 10.80. Would have liked that one to have been clean.
They DQed all three of the other bikes that were there for different reasons then so I thought I was going to run my last pass alone or against a car.
Then some little two stroke mini rail job with wheelie bars pulled up and I thought cool. What I didn't realize and they didn't tell me was he ran a pro tree instead of a street tree and I looked like I was asleep on the line. Then on top of that the little thing took off like it was shot out of a cannon. I thought crap I got suckered here and lost 20 bucks. All of a sudden I started catching him, and then flew by. Turned out his air shifter wasn't hooked up. I won all three races YES! Left 40 dollars richer not counting gas and time. Might make a carrier out of this huh? LOL NOT!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Don't laugh at me to hard, at least I wasn't DQed for lack of gear and the front tire was just on the ground. Think this was the second pass.

Attachments

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
Nice work! Did you have to do anything crazy, or unusual to be able to run? That's a time to be proud of...,,well done.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Nice work! Did you have to do anything crazy, or unusual to be able to run? That's a time to be proud of...,,well done.
Nothing I thought was strange. NHRA Rules.
Leather jacket, leather pants, leather gloves, over the ankle "boots" ( meaning defined heel ), chain gaurd, self retracting throttle ( he did check out the go cruise but I didn't have to remove it), oh and front breaks.
The last caught me off gaurd, I said really and he said you just wouldn't believe what some people put there faith in. That is sad but funny too.
I asked about the kill teether and was told they allowed factory kill switch to suffice as long as I didn't run less then a 10. I had some 3M heavy duty velcro and a red pen lanyard from work ready if needed there.
The bike has more in it, just wish I knew and trusted someone who could really ride, I'd like to know what it would do with someone that's good on it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thats pretty sweet! Can be a lot of fun to go out and do a test and tune or a bracket night, especially if you can wrangle some friends into going.

Reactions: Avintage69

·
Registered
11,272 Posts
As far as someone whos good, most everyone whos had the bike at a 1/4 track has come back with times in the 11 area....so, finding soemoen better might not be as easy as you think.

Manracing was a very good rider, and he was right at 11. Then again, he was heavier than average at @ 225lbs.

·
Administrator
411 Posts
I did a 10.9 in Brainerd in the summer. I would imagine with the traction/wheelie control, you could do a pretty good amount better than that just because you're not stressed out about wheelie-ing over backwards. If you slapped a wheelie bar on one, short-term, I bet just about anyone could do mid-10s easily. Being quite torquey, and short wheelbase makes launching it pretty tricky!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That's pretty cool! Never been much of a hard launcher, so I probably wouldn't break 11s. I have launch control on my Ape; you can supposedly take off at 10k rpm but there is no way in hell I'd ever try that LOL

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Thats pretty sweet! Can be a lot of fun to go out and do a test and tune or a bracket night, especially if you can wrangle some friends into going.
Three guys I work with all have V rods or a variant of and It was short notice but none could make it. their always talking about who is the fastest though so I hope with a little planning next year I can talk them into it.

Reactions: scubasteve711

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
As far as someone whos good, most everyone whos had the bike at a 1/4 track has come back with times in the 11 area....so, finding soemoen better might not be as easy as you think.

Manracing was a very good rider, and he was right at 11. Then again, he was heavier than average at @ 225lbs.
You are more than likely right and for a novice feel I did OK. Its just that need to know or possibility of what if that is tickling my curiosity and made me say it.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
I did a 10.9 in Brainerd in the summer. I would imagine with the traction/wheelie control, you could do a pretty good amount better than that just because you're not stressed out about wheelie-ing over backwards. If you slapped a wheelie bar on one, short-term, I bet just about anyone could do mid-10s easily. Being quite torquey, and short wheelbase makes launching it pretty tricky!
I had hopes of getting in more passes there, till what I felt was a solid run with the TC on and then switching it off and seeing if there was a difference. Didn't work out that way though so was still hearing the dreaded BAAP BAAP BAAP as I lifted the tire in second. Only lifted it once in first and that's when I was caught off guard with the pro tree, I've kind of been practicing those first gear launch's against these SS riders around here though so I should have it down.

Reactions: adm2204

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
That's pretty cool! Never been much of a hard launcher, so I probably wouldn't break 11s. I have launch control on my Ape; you can supposedly take off at 10k rpm but there is no way in hell I'd ever try that LOL
Don't think I have enough man hood anymore ether to launch a bike at 10K. :crying:

Reactions: Northern Ninja

·
Registered
316 Posts
get a ratchet strap for the front end and get that front end lowered down. helps a ton with launch :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts