Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have taken apart my 2011 Ninja 1000 motor because of a trans issue. I have discovered that in certain gears it engages two sets of gears at once. I think it might be a bent shifter fork. But i have heard it could be other things. Now for the question. I am in the market for a new transmission; and i know that the n1000 transmission is geared lower than a zx10. I have done some snooping and discovered that the 05 zx10 transmission is so similar to the n1k. DOES THE ZX10 TRANS FIT IN A NINJA 1000????

·
Registered
55 Posts
The ZX10r and the Ninja 1000 have nothing to do with each other, two completely different bike without any relation to eachother.

The Ninja 1000 is "loosely" based off the old ZX9 motor, but they still share virtually no parts. The only bike that has an identical transmission to the Ninja 1000 is the 2010 to 2016 Z1000. Also the Versys 1000 has a transmission that would technically fits, but the gear ratio are completely different than that of the Ninja 1000 and Z1000

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
The ZX10r and the Ninja 1000 have nothing to do with each other, two completely different bike without any relation to eachother.

The Ninja 1000 is "loosely" based off the old ZX9 motor, but they still share virtually no parts. The only bike that has an identical transmission to the Ninja 1000 is the 2010 to 2016 Z1000. Also the Versys 1000 has a transmission that would technically fits, but the gear ratio are completely different than that of the Ninja 1000 and Z1000
I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. The N1K is a standard with fairings. And when it comes to standards, Japanese manufacturers typically use a power plant from a prior generation liter bike and tune it down (lower compression ratio, cams with a shorter duration and lower lift, etc.). That being said, to say there's no relationship between the two is something I can't agree with. And before I go any further, I'm aware that the ZX-10R displaces 998 ccs (76mm bore x 55mm stroke) while N1K displaces 1,043 ccs (77mm bore x 56mm stroke). So if the N1K is using a powerplant from a prior generation liter bike (which I believe it is), both the bore and stroke obviously changed.

As for the tranny, I would encourage the OP to buy the one he's looking at and see if it mounts up (and if it doesn't, sell it). If the ZX-10R tranny is local, he could always take the N1K tranny with him and see if at least the mounting points line up (for his sake, I hope they do). As for the gearing, maybe it won't be so bad. And there's always the option of swapping sprockets (and even rear tire). I've seen people do all sorts of stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
The clutch we use is more related to a zx6 as oposed go the zx10. Like Ungarish said, this engine is more in the family line of the old zx9. Not the zx10. If you were looking for a different transmission, you would be better off looking for a zx9, versus 1000 and possibly even the z900 family.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The ZX10R is a tall geared, close ratio transmission for racing. Me, I was thinking a wide ratio transmission that's evenly spaced so you get more, usable gears would be best, like the Versys 1000 has. The Ninja 1000 has plenty of mid-range torque to pull wide gears.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I still say he ought to try it. An (obviously used 16 year) old tranny from a ZX-10R can't be that expensive (and if it won't mount up or work otherwise, sell it).

A lot of Standards use a number of parts from a prior generation liter bike. The wheels would be another example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I still say he ought to try it. An (obviously used 16 year) old tranny from a ZX-10R can't be that expensive (and if it won't mount up or work otherwise, sell it).

A lot of Standards use a number of parts from a prior generation liter bike. The wheels would be another example.
Why go out on a complete limb and buy something that which with very minimal research can be proven to be incompatible. All you have to do is cross reference the part number for something that should generally be interchangeable, like an input/output shaft thrust washer or a gear journal and quickly find out that the shaft diameters are different between the bikes. In fact if you look a searchable microfiche, you'll quickly realize other than generic nuts, bolts and washers, there is pretty much nothing interchangeable between a zx10r of any year and the N1000/V1000/Z1000 platforms. Other than sharing the "Ninja" nomenclature for marketing purposes, they there is no relation between the two bikes.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I totally get what you're saying but just because the part numbers aren't the same, doesn't necessarily mean it can't work. I once saw a guy drop a Hemi V-8 into a Jeep Wrangler and he made it work with I believe was the Wragler's stock tranny. I realize that's not the same thing but you'd be surprised how far a little ingenuity and elbow grease will go.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
I know when I did my slipper clutch swap, our clutch had way more in common with a 1998 zx6 than it did with a zx10. The zx10 clutch was larger diameter, by about 5mm.

The japanese dont make efforts to use the same parts on each bike. That's not a priority , even though it sounds like it should be, Even parts that sound like a no brainer. Wheels, tires, axles. Parts that have so little meaning it shouldn't matter. Forks, shocks. Even brake calipers.

Even if it would, the gear ratios are closer together than we have , stock. That's not an advantage on an engine known for low end and midrange power.

If you want to try and swap parts, you have to stay within the engines family. Even then, things change and things get updated. A good rule to use is to look at the side covers. If they look the same and share the same bolt pattern, it's sometimes possible. If they dont, theres no way parts will swap. A transmission possible the ninja 1000, the 2010 and newer z 1000, and the z900 series. The versys, too. Actually, if you could do a versys 1000 transmission swap, that would be an upgrade.

Also, his transmission... his bad one, likley has 2 bad gears and maybe one damaged shift fork. It would be less money to fix that than to buy a used transmission.

Also, here is guaranteed to fit for 300.00. How much can be saved here on a repair that is all about labor?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
OK, here's what I found out: On 1,000 cc Standards, although Japanese manufacturers typically use an engine from a prior generation superbike and detune it, that's not the case with the N1K (nor did Kawasaki increase the bore and stroke by 1mm in addition to detuning it). I was mistaken.

Up until 2009, Kawasaki used a 953 cc engine in the Z1K. It was in 2010 that they developed an all new 1,043 cc engine for the Z1K and it is this engine that Kawasaki used for the first N1K in 2011. That being said, I think it's unlikely a tranny from any ZX-10R will mount up to the N1K's engine (but, of course, the only way to know for sure is by trying it).

I also found out the '11 N1K's tranny is geared as follows:

1st 2.600 (39/15)
2nd 1.950 (39/20)
3rd 1.600 (24/15)
4th 1.389 (25/18)
5th 1.238 (26/21)
6th 1.136 (25/22)

And although I couldn't find gearing information on an '04-'05 ZX-10R, the '21 is geared as follows:

1st 2.600 (39/15)
2nd 2.158 (41/19)
3rd 1.882 (32/17)
4th 1.650 (33/20)
5th 1.476 (31/21)
6th 1.304 (30/23)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know when I did my slipper clutch swap, our clutch had way more in common with a 1998 zx6 than it did with a zx10. The zx10 clutch was larger diameter, by about 5mm.

The japanese dont make efforts to use the same parts on each bike. That's not a priority , even though it sounds like it should be, Even parts that sound like a no brainer. Wheels, tires, axles. Parts that have so little meaning it shouldn't matter. Forks, shocks. Even brake calipers.

Even if it would, the gear ratios are closer together than we have , stock. That's not an advantage on an engine known for low end and midrange power.

If you want to try and swap parts, you have to stay within the engines family. Even then, things change and things get updated. A good rule to use is to look at the side covers. If they look the same and share the same bolt pattern, it's sometimes possible. If they dont, theres no way parts will swap. A transmission possible the ninja 1000, the 2010 and newer z 1000, and the z900 series. The versys, too. Actually, if you could do a versys 1000 transmission swap, that would be an upgrade.

Also, his transmission... his bad one, likley has 2 bad gears and maybe one damaged shift fork. It would be less money to fix that than to buy a used transmission.

Also, here is guaranteed to fit for 300.00. How much can be saved here on a repair that is all about labor?

RC, when the 4th gear went on my transmission, I did the math on the cost to have every part affected replaced. By that I mean also the 3 shift forks and even the shift drum (in case the tracks were rounded), along with all the single use items gaskets, seals, crush washer and stretch bolts, and it all that worked out to be around $350 total in parts from PartZilla. I in the end I wound up buying a complete new (used) 6k mile 2013 engine for $450 off a wrecker and installing that instead, but I still am planning on rebuilding my original engine so that the engine number on my title matches. If anyone is interested I can document it.

If the seller of that eBay transmission can provide pictures that none of those dogs are rounded then that's an OK deal, but if you're going through the trouble of splitting the case already, might as well buy all new parts including shift forks and drum for around the same amount. That is unless your issue is not just rounded dogs, but rather an exploded gear cog that chowdered the entire transmission, in which case yeah you're not going to fix it for $300 in new parts...

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
You know, "Kawasaki all new 1043 cc " should be listed as " Kawasaki all .....well, quite a bit of new, 1043". Really, how do you define "all new"? When I bought new exhaust header gaskets, my ninja shared the same part number as the 1974 kz900.

When our late friend, Jay, had the head modified on his 2011 ninja, APE did the head work. The cams they used were zx9 as were the oversized valves. The cams were a drop in thing......so, the head might not be identical to a zx9, but it's related. We also have the balance shaft that the zx9 had. The 10 doesnt have that.

Wsbk, those ratios are interesting. We complain about the ninja being close ratio.....in fact, kawasaki changed 4th and 5th gear for 2014. They are wider apart than the earlier bikes. What spec is yours from? 11-13 or 14 and newer? The change was barely anything, but there is a small difference.

Wsbk, another question. What zx10 did you compare to? The 2011-2021 engine is a new-ish design. Our engine looks more related to the 2004-2010 if we are looking for a relationship.

Anyway, the zx10 is geared like a ninja 1000 that was only able to use gears 1-4. That's part of the reason they make poor street bikes.

I know many racing rules prevent a 7 or 8 speed transmission, but why do we only have 6 gears. The engine might be a little wider, but why not 7 or 8 gears? There was a 7 speed dirt bike, in the 70's, but otherwise, no one really used more than 6 gears.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know many racing rules prevent a 7 or 8 speed transmission, but why do we only have 6 gears. The engine might be a little wider, but why not 7 or 8 gears? There was a 7 speed dirt bike, in the 70's, but otherwise, no one really used more than 6 gears.
When I first got the bike, I was constantly trying to shift the bike into an imaginary 7th gear, and I think that's what fckd my 4th gear up. Here's my theory why; I think the repeated pressure on the shift fork from trying to shift into "7th" gear eventually is what wore (more like ground) down the shift forks and eventually got thin enough to not be able to fully engage the dog under light footed shifts, leading to the constant false neutrals issue, and eventually the popping out of gear issue that wrote off the gearbox. Just a theory, will confirm when I have the old motor apart and see how burned or ground down the shift forks really are. I have a feeling they are not going to look pretty.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
This is where I got the '11 N1K gearing info:

This is where I looked for gearing info on the '04-'05 ZX-10R:

And this is where I got the '21 ZX-10R gearing info:

Toward the end of this article: The History of the Kawasaki Z introduction

You'll see where it says what you see below. I also read somewhere else that the 1,043 powerplant was all-new for 2010 but can't remember where (if I find it, I'll post it):

2010 Kawasaki Z1000 – Original Engine and Chassis to Create the Ultimate Z

To take the Super-Naked concept even further and made the 3rd iteration Z1000 even more fun to ride, Kawasaki’s engineers discarded the earlier method of using an existing superbike platform and instead started from scractch. They designed an all-new 1,043 cc engine tuned for hard-hitting low- and mid-range torque. Even the sound from the airbox and intake ducts during acceleration was used to enhance the ride feel. The chassis features a new aluminium twin-tube frame for responsive handling and light weight. Another interesting feature is the Horizontal Back-link rear suspension that contributes to mass centralisation and improved manoeuvrability. A low-profile front cowl and high tank are complemented by specially designed wheels and stylish front fork guards, giving the latest Z1000 a powerful, dynamic form.
The new Kawasaki Z1000 caused quite a stir. This unique naked bike design was a completely new approach adding on design cues from the Kawasaki’s past. The engine offers enormous power from the bottom end and the throaty intake sound makes the every rider addicted after a short time.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
If someone said this, in an article that was talking about Kawasaki, the rest of the article isnt worth reading. This is someone who reported info from a press release and never understood the facts, or the history behind the bike.

"Kawasaki’s engineers discarded the earlier method of using an existing superbike platform and instead started from scractch. "

kawasaki never did this. The ninja 900 was never a superbike in the way a gsxr, cbr, or r1 was. The original did use a big-bore zx9 motor, but to say that was "superbike based" isnt very accurate. The fz1 did. It had a pretty close relationship to the r1....its poor low end and midrange power will prove that.

[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Here's another article that describes the 1,043 as all-new. Furthermore, it indicates the ('03-'09) 953 cc engine was based on the ZX-9R:

Although this article doesn't state the 1,043 was an all new powerplant, it does state that the 953 was a modified version of the ZX-9R's 899 cc engine:

Assuming the 1,043 is all-new, some people might wonder why Kawasaki developed it. My theory is because although Standards don't sell in large numbers in the USA, they're popular in other parts of the world (primarily Europe). Also, I think, at the time, there was a trend towards Super Standards (the BMW S1000R, KTM 1290 Super Duke, and Aprilia Tuono would be some examples).

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
57x, I didnt remember that. They sure as hell did. The formula extreme class should still be here. The bikes were amazing. They were modified without so many rules. If we go back that far, the zx9 engine wasnt too different than the zx7, was it? There were zx7 to zx9 engine swaps that were not that involved.

It might have been a uk magazine, but back in 2010 I remember talk about that 2010 z1000 being a "platform" . That didnt make a lot of sense until the 2011 Ninja 1000 (z1000sx) and Versys 1000 (2012?) Although we didnt see the Versys until later.....really, the z900 series is part of this platform, too.

They also talked about emissions and they said this updated engine was built with the upcoming euro 3, 4 emissions standards in mind.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The 03 Z1000 was a ZX9R engine that was converted to fuel injection and changed from downflow to crossflow. I put many ZX9R parts in my old 05 Z1000 engine including cams when I had it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.