Dunlop SportMax RoadSmart III's - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Dunlop SportMax RoadSmart III's

Well, it was time for new rubber for the '18 N1K.

I never liked these stock shoes. They would slide on me when I got leaned pretty far over, even at low speed. I never had an issue with turn in, as many have complained of here. So, I went with the 190/50 stock size for rear. I got the warning about riding easy for the first 100 miles, and I disregarded it. These Dunlop RSIII were just amazing right out of the lot. It was 100 degrees though, so warm up time was nil. I noticed change of direction was much quicker. It almost caught me off guard! I say that, because, anyone reading these forums with a new N1K, change the stock tires and maintain stock sizes before you switch size tires. Different manufacturer of tires have difference profiles even with the same size tire. I glad I didn't change based off others experience instead of my seat of the pants experience. As far a the speedometer accuracy, I haven't tested it with a GPS, and don't care. i can't stare and the speedo and ride safely, and spiritedly at the same time.

I rode about 53 miles, and took the bike to an empty school parking lot, with grass growing through the cracks of the asphalt. I leaned the bike to the edges of the tires, at about 20 mph, and no slipping at all. Brand new tires! The new and worn Bridgestones never inspired confidence. I had 6k on them when I had them changed. The front was cupped out, and the rear was squared. The rear tire also was losing all of the air pressure in a few days.
OCLandspeeder and agurudev like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM

I love the RS3's on my '18. Feels like a sport tire.

I did not have any grip issues with the stock S20 tires on mine. Just the steering anomaly of needing constant bar pressure to maintain an arc through a turn. My S20 front lasted 2,500 miles before the sides wore down and triangulated the tire. The rear had plenty of tread. I also went with the RS3 with rear size 190/55. Loved the handling transformation to 100% neutral. Speedo accurate now to within 1.5 mph of true speed. Did not affect ABS/TC function.

Glad you like your RS3's as I do mine.
nucleus likes this.
post #3 of 46 Old 07-22-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
I love the RS3's on my '18. Feels like a sport tire.

I did not have any grip issues with the stock S20 tires on mine. Just the steering anomaly of needing constant bar pressure to maintain an arc through a turn. My S20 front lasted 2,500 miles before the sides wore down and triangulated the tire. The rear had plenty of tread. I also went with the RS3 with rear size 190/55. Loved the handling transformation to 100% neutral. Speedo accurate now to within 1.5 mph of true speed. Did not affect ABS/TC function.

Glad you like your RS3's as I do mine.
Out of curiosity, how off was your speedo before the rear tire switch?
nucleus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 AM

My speedo was off about 4 mph before. I use a GPS to verify. Now it's within LESS than 1.5 mph.

On Sunday I was riding with my friend on his Triumph 675R. My speedo was reading 84 mph and his speedo was reading 88 mph! We were on comms so we were able to compare in real time. So my true speed was probably 83 mph.
Darthanubis likes this.
post #5 of 46 Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Another vote for the Roadsmart 3. I will run the Q3 Plus on the occasion when they have a rebate. The RS3 provides enough grip in the dry for very spirited riding. I honestly prefer the superfluous grip of the Q3 Plus but hate having to get a new rear tire every 1600 ~ 1800 miles. I find the RS3 to be the most "sporty" of the sport touring tires I have tried so far.
Darthanubis likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #6 of 46 Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 AM

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...art-iii-tires/

I found this article from some time ago. However, my personal findings after 4 sets of RS3's on my VFR800, and now on my '18 N1k, reflect what RideApart said about the tire. It does indeed last a long time. I routinely got 6k miles out of mine, which to me is a "long time". That's to the wear bars.

RideApart also mentioned how the RS3's maintain its handling feel all the way near the end of their lives. I would agree with that finding. My RS3's on my VFR800 never developed that resistance to turning and low speed chopper flop so common when a front tire has worn down near its wear bars. The downside to this is, if I were complacent and didn't visually check the tire's condition, I would neglect to replace when they should be replaced.

As for Dunlop's claim that the RS3 is as close to a sport tire that one can get on a sport-touring tire, I would also agree with that statement. I've had sport tires on my VFR800 and CBR600rr before, and I honestly cannot tell the difference between those and the RS3 at street speeds. Mind you, I haul ass in the twisties enough that I can get to the edge of the rear tires (not the front). So I do push it enough although still short of track pace. The RS3's do not increase steering effort for me to notice either.

So as far as I'm concerned the RS3's are probably close to the Holy Grail of performance tires for aggressive street riders that still need long distance and wet weather capability.

One last thing: The true size of the Dunlop RS3's, and also their Q3's, pushed the limits of 190/55. Some brands will size their rear tires to within a 10% variance. So I've seen some measurements in mm wherein a 190/55 is approaching the overall diameter of a 200/55. I've also seen a 190/55 measurement in mm that is closer to a "larger" 180/55 in overall diameter. I can't remember the website where these are published I just remember seeing them. So visually compare the 190/55 Q3/RS3 and to another brand and you may see the Dunlops are just a bit bigger overall. I don't think it contributes much to handling, but it may contribute to that additional life. Plus the bigger diameter, however small, adds a bit of spice to the looks of the N1k's rear end!
Darthanubis likes this.
post #7 of 46 Old 07-24-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I don't think anyone considers 6k miles, long lasting on a motorcycle tire. The RS3 is expected to get at least 12-16k.

I took the BT20's off at 6k, and was no where near the wear bars. The front was scalloped, and the rear squared, with slow leak, but plenty meat left.
post #8 of 46 Old 07-24-2019, 06:53 PM

I consider at or very near the wear bars as time to replace. But yes you can still ride on them. I just can't tolerate shit-steering feel for too long.
post #9 of 46 Old 07-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...art-iii-tires/

So as far as I'm concerned the RS3's are probably close to the Holy Grail of performance tires for aggressive street riders that still need long distance and wet weather capability.

This sort of reflects my thoughts on the RS3 as well. For me it is an ST tire that is biased toward the sport side of the equation. I usually get about 1600 miles out of a rear sport tire while the RS3 provides all the dry grip I need for sane but spirited riding and lasts almost three times as long. I usually dispose of my tires once they reach the wear bars. I might go a little beyond that if I know the road will be dry.
Darthanubis likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #10 of 46 Old 07-25-2019, 08:18 PM

I wonder how the new Pirelli AGT 2 is? Someone needs to buy a set so we can find out. I know everyone loved the original. No way do they update it and make it worse...right?..maybe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page