Dunlop SportMax RoadSmart III's - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 Old 07-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I wonder how the new Pirelli AGT 2 is? Someone needs to buy a set so we can find out. I know everyone loved the original. No way do they update it and make it worse...right?..maybe.

I loved the originals, I used up 7 sets in 40,000 miles. I'm going to change to the Dunlop's because Pirelli was bought out by the Chinese Military, I'm not sending them $350 every 6 months...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 Old 07-26-2019, 11:42 AM

Are you joking? The Chinese Military?

I know Pirelli got bought by a Chinese company, which is most likely state-owned. Is that company run by the Chinese PLA? I guess the question is, which Chinese company is NOT state owned!

OK I looked it up. Pirelli is owned by the global, state run and owned ChemChina. They've been buying up large chemical companies around the world.

Interesting to note:
Pirelli Angel GT's are made in Germany
Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's made in China (the ones I got a few years ago were)
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 are made in Japan (their Q3's may be made in USA not sure)
The Bridgestones I've had, BT016, S20, S21, all made in Japan
Darthanubis likes this.

Last edited by OCLandspeeder; 07-26-2019 at 11:48 AM.
post #13 of 46 Old 07-26-2019, 12:12 PM

All this talk about tires guys and wondering about any of you that have an opinion on the Michelin Road 5s. Before I traded up to my 1000, I had a Ninja 650, got over 11,000k out of them, then this spring had Road 5s put on them and I found them to be incredibly better tires than the stock tires. I noticed they haven't been mentioned here, so maybe the ones you guys are citing are just better tires than the 5s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Raven View Post
All this talk about tires guys and wondering about any of you that have an opinion on the Michelin Road 5s. Before I traded up to my 1000, I had a Ninja 650, got over 11,000k out of them, then this spring had Road 5s put on them and I found them to be incredibly better tires than the stock tires. I noticed they haven't been mentioned here, so maybe the ones you guys are citing are just better tires than the 5s.
I've been a Michelin Pilot Road fan since the dawn of the series. They worked great on my VFRs and on my Ninja 1ks. Ninja's caused the front to wear strangly, causing cupping fairly early on. and the front wears quicker than the rear. I still got great mileage from them and they're great in the wet.
Enter Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 3s. They finally got me to try them with a few good reviews and killer rebate deal. I'm now on my second set. The front is wearing a bit faster than the PR5s did and it also has a bit of strange wear at the sides but I like them maybe even a bit better than the Road 5s. The performance in the rain is good, the handling characteristics are about the same but I notice that the Dunlops offer a slightly softer ride. I run the same pressures but the road vibrations and little impacts are muted. I think the PR5s have stiffer sidewalls. Some have said that the RS3s have a sportier profile. I'm not sure. I do know that NEW RS3s certainly have a sportier profile/feel than PR5s with 14,200 miles on them.

I just changed to a new set at 6k miles so I don't know how long they will last. (Headed to AK this weekend and wanted to start the 7k mile trip with fresh tires.) I've kept the take-offs and will be putting them back on later and I'll do a longevity report when I wear out a pair.
With either tire be sure to go with the /55 profile rear for nice neutral handling on your N1k.
Ninja Raven likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #15 of 46 Old 08-01-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
Interesting to note:
Pirelli Angel GT's are made in Germany
Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's made in China (the ones I got a few years ago were)
Dunlop Roadsmart 3 are made in Japan (their Q3's may be made in USA not sure)
The Bridgestones I've had, BT016, S20, S21, all made in Japan
Most of my Angle GT's have been made in Germany, but I remember a set or two made in Spain. I've heard a few reports of Angle GT II's being made in China. I'm not concerned with where the plant is, but where the profit goes.

P.S.
My Dunlop Q3's (on my Ninja 400) are made in the US.
post #16 of 46 Old 08-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Confirmed with two friends, the Dunlop Q3+ made in the USA.

Pirelli is owned by that Chinese Chemical Company ChemChina. ChemChina is one of the largest state owned conglomerates in the world. I'm normally pretty agnostic where something is made as long as the people making it is not an enemy of my country. I routinely use Shinko 705's (made in Korea) on my DR650.

I will admit though I prefer my tires to come from friendlier countries.
post #17 of 46 Old 08-02-2019, 03:12 PM

Guess this reaffirms my choice of trying out roadsmarts or pilot roads next time I need to replace my tires...

2013 White Ninja 1000
Ivan's Reflash | BMC Filter | Akra Full Exhuast
Koso Heated Grips | Baldwin Custom Seats
CustomLED Integrated Taillight | SW Motech Sliders | Givi Top Case
post #18 of 46 Old 08-20-2019, 10:41 AM

Well... i was bummed to learn that they reinvented my favorite tire ever. Extra bummed to read that Pirelli Angel GT 2 is moving to China. Not bummed for political reasons, simply for my perception of quality.

I'll order a set or two of the original Angel GTs and wait for posts about the new ones.
post #19 of 46 Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Trump will slap tarrifs on them when they hit China

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #20 of 46 Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Just switched to the switched to the RS3 after several sets of pilot powers
Been using the 55 on the rear for some time now and find the profile on RS3 a bit flatter but seem fine and hoping to get better mileage out of the Dunlop's,,. I haven't done any sustained higher speed riding yet?

One thing I noticed was the front tire took about 15 of the wts and I don't recall seeing more then 5 on any previous tire,,. The back tire has 4 wts,,.

How normal is this,,. Do you think I got an bad balance or bad tire,,. Opinions please, I think I should call these guys and have a second look,,.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page