Aftermarket Axles - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Axles

I am replacing the wheels (CoreMote V-Tack) and tires (Michelin Road 5) on a 2018 and am surprised at the heft of both the rear and front axles. Does anyone know of aftermarket replacements?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 08:16 PM

You can have anything made, but it would be very difficult to find a worse spot on the motorcycle to save weight. You will sometimes see titanium axles, off-road, but you still save only about half the weight. Not bad, but even a slip on exhaust will save 10-15 lbs.There are too many other areas to save weight from (exhaust , battery, grab rails.....) before you ever get near the axles.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 PM

I would love a set of black OZ wheels on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 09:19 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto2o View Post
I would love a set of black OZ wheels on mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Z1...53.m1438.l2649
post #5 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 PM

Back when TZ-750s were common in racing, privateers ordered up a batch of titanium axles in an effort to close the gap on Kenny Roberts' factory OW-31 (how'd that go, guys?). It was a brief (and expensive!) experiment, as the faster guys noticed a loss of steering precision. Yep, a Ti axle will be less stiff than a steel part with the same dimensions.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
Back when TZ-750s were common in racing, privateers ordered up a batch of titanium axles in an effort to close the gap on Kenny Roberts' factory OW-31 (how'd that go, guys?). It was a brief (and expensive!) experiment, as the faster guys noticed a loss of steering precision. Yep, a Ti axle will be less stiff than a steel part with the same dimensions.

You could argue that the diameter of the axles back then made the material change noticeable whereas today's bigger diameter (and hollow) axles, the stiffness likely wouldn't be a noticeable factor.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-02-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
You can have anything made, but it would be very difficult to find a worse spot on the motorcycle to save weight. You will sometimes see titanium axles, off-road, but you still save only about half the weight. Not bad, but even a slip on exhaust will save 10-15 lbs.There are too many other areas to save weight from (exhaust , battery, grab rails.....) before you ever get near the axles.

Axles are unsprung weight so while a lightweight axle may not affect your power/weight ratio much, the handling can only be improved.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-02-2019, 11:10 AM

It would be a great thing for unsprung weight, but no one is really building them, and there's not much of a savings, anyway... The stock axle really is not "heavy". Although they are steel, they are hollow. It's not like the old days when they were solid. If it really does qualify as heavy, there's not a lot that can be done about it.. Its more like wishing for Santa at this point.

Here's an ad for a titanium axle for a ktm dirt bike, and it'd a decent overall view as to why few ever change the part for titanium. I don't know how this axle compares to our stock front axle. The axle is 219.00 and saves a whole 3.2 ounces . It's hard to know for sure, but this figure might also include an aluminum hex bolt to hold the axle in place.
8.4 ounces for the stock axle, 5.2oz for the titanium piece.

The rear axle appeared to be more worthwhile. It is about 6 ounces lighter than stock steel.

https://www.ktm-parts.com/TI-AXLE42.html
post #9 of 10 Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 AM

If you were to replicate that steel axle in titanium it would result in a weight savings of a bit over 40%. The bad news is Ti's stiffness is about half of steel's. Imagine riding fast on a bumpy road, how much wheel deflection would you need before the discs start knocking the brake pads back? Personally, I love titanium when parts and structures are optimized for its use.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Thats what I wonder about. The way we have to do it is substitute ti for steel, and thats not really the right way to do it. I wonder how much we could save, or what the advantage might be if the axle was designed around the idea of using titanium, knowing what its properties are, and being able to take advantage of that?

Anyone whos ever used titanium bolts would not be excited for a ti axle. Unless you use anit-sieze, and service the joint on a regular basis, the bolts become one with the assembly and are a complete pain in the ass to remove.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page