Ouch - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 12-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lag 4 View Post
The tire cost is a shocker alright but isn't that to do with these soft sticky hyper-sport tires that wear out in no time,,. There are longer wearing options!!

I'm of the impression that bikes don't last as long as cars either,,. Most cars these days will go 100 thousand with out a lot, just look at some of the warranties!!
Yea, but you can buy a couple of bikes for the price of one car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 12-22-2017, 03:38 PM

Yes true enough and in a way were comparing apples to oranges,,. A inline four producing over 140HP with hyper-sport tires isn't exactly a fair comparison for an entry level economy car,,.

If you run a 300 Versys with long wear tires you can easily commute, get incredible gas mileage and probable much lower maintenance costs for a fraction of the cost of our bikes,,. What you cant do is go 0 to 60 in 3 secs or go 250 kph,,.
Ishikawa likes this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear

Last edited by Lag 4; 12-22-2017 at 03:40 PM.
post #13 of 26 Old 12-22-2017, 05:08 PM

The motorcycle commute thing has always interested me. In my life, which is sure to be ending soon, I've had exactly 3 weeks where I could use my motorcycle to get to, and from work.

It was awesome and I do wish it were possible, at least once per week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 Old 12-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
The motorcycle commute thing has always interested me. In my life, which is sure to be ending soon, I've had exactly 3 weeks where I could use my motorcycle to get to, and from work.

It was awesome and I do wish it were possible, at least once per week.
I'm on my 10th year now of full time commuting. Wouldn't have it any other way.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-22-2017, 05:43 PM

I loved it , except for the day when i burned my ass the gel seat.

I seriously had to pull over and find wet rags to cool it down.,,,which really is not possible since that tell us just about what they use to make long lasting hot packs.

Went back to the stock seat, and the ass was much better.
post #16 of 26 Old 12-23-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15n1k View Post
what tires are you running? and what kind of mileage are you seeing?

I have a set of angel gt's I need to get mounted on my 1000.

I'd hate to do the calculation on my track bike, I stick to how many days vs mileage. Set of supercorsas track side aren't cheap.
Of course, as we all know, the stock tires are crap and I only got 2500-3000 on them. I've burned through two sets of Michelin Pilots which might've gotten 5000 miles on each set, and now I'm trying Q3s. I hope they at least get me through the winter.

I haven't figured out everything to the nitty gritty details like some of you have, but it costs me roughly $2K/yr for tires and insurance. Then there's oil changes, gas, and all the other maintenance stuff. At least in my case, a portion of it is deductible because I have to ride a motorcycle "on a frequent and routine basis" in order to keep my RiderCoach certification. Well, how are you going to do that? Buy a bike, rent a bike, borrow a bike, or steal a bike. Well, the only rentals around here are Harleys (not my preference, and I'd have to go to Arkansas for that), no one with a bike like I would want will let me borrow it, and I'm not willing to accept the risks and consequences associated with the criminal path. So that leaves ownership. Darn.
rcannon409 likes this.

2017 NINJA 300(0) ABS KRT ("Sheldon")
2015 green N1K (Is there any other color?? Much-loved and missed...)
2013 VW Beetle TDI 6spd convertible ("Bug")

Someday I hope to be the rider that my bike deserves.

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

post #17 of 26 Old 12-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Lori, that tax deductible part...YES!!!! Well done.

That idea of having a Verssy 300, for a commute, sounds amazing. I even have a section of unfinished road that I could use and eliminate 50% of the traffic. I just need a job that would allow for such.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-23-2017, 01:15 PM

The reason I mentioned the 300 Versys was at a slow ride course put on by one of the dealers this past summer one of the instructors showed up with a demo all new 2017 version and Ill tell you , could that guy ever run circles around the rest of us with that thing,,. Its actually tall enough for a full sized person to be comfortable on,,. He would actually conduct his lecture in front of a group of people while on the bike doing tight lock to lock figure eights while we stood with our mouths open not hearing a word he was saying,,.

Not necessarily anyone's dream bike but in certain environments it would be the cats meow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Lori, that tax deductible part...YES!!!! Well done.

That idea of having a Verssy 300, for a commute, sounds amazing. I even have a section of unfinished road that I could use and eliminate 50% of the traffic. I just need a job that would allow for such.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #19 of 26 Old 12-24-2017, 12:04 PM

I would never commute on a motorcycle, I don't like the odds. It's a lot of gear to get on and off for 30-45mins of riding, shitty riding at that, and I don't ride unless I am in full leathers. I ride a motorcycle to get away from it all, not immerse myself in it.

However, I did have a Husaberg FS570 Supermoto for a while and I "commuted" on that, but those are bad motorcycles. I was already using boulevards and sidewalks to get around traffic in a matter of days after owning one, and within a few weeks I actually started considering doing stairs for shortcuts. I won't even start on the topic of wheelies...........

I commute on this...........takes less time, I can jump over shit, and I get fitter (or less fatter) at the same time. Granted they cost about the same as a 400cc sportbike of a DRZ

guambra2001 likes this.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-24-2017, 02:53 PM

Your 570? That's the one with the crazy engine configuration, right?

That bike was 20 years ahead of its time, and that engine was a work of art. What was it like to live with? It appeared to be easy to work on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page