Golden Spike 150th - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-11-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Golden Spike 150th

May 10th, 2019 is the 150th anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad's completion, when the tracks from east and west met near Promontory, Utah.

For this event, Union Pacific is restoring Big Boy 4-8-8-4 #4014 which will operate under steam from Cheyenne, WY to Ogden, UT. Seeing this monster in action will be a real spectacle, to say the least! U.P. will also send 4-8-4 #844 to the festivities.

Union Pacific steam schedule and itineraries: https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

See also: www.spike150.org

Style points for pictures of your Ninja 1000 with the Big Boy passing by!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0898B7F0-6F6A-45DE-B09F-CC5B4BA090B5.jpeg (117.3 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 AM

This is Awesome... The Ogden station is 5 minutes from my work. I will get some photos for sure.
Rickifumi likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Have you guys ever driven out to the monument, itself? Maybe my expectations were too high.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-12-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Since Union Pacific's main line no longer passes by the Golden Spike Nat'l monument the latter would NOT be the place to see these monsters in action! If you can, check them out at the station in Ogden AND watch them underway somewhere else. Be wary of over-enthusiastic railfans on the roads...if they don't care about their own safety guess how much they care about yours? Don't let that scare you off, heck you might even join that queue of lunatics yourself.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 PM

My dad worked for Up for 30 some years. We rode dirtbikes out in the west desert. Back then, safety and rules were not like today. My dads friends would be switching at Dugway, Aragonite, and Marblehead mine. There were several occasions when my brother and I were allowed to operate the engines, kick cars, and basically play railroad.....one of those things where everyone would fired, but back then......
Rickifumi likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

The video below does NOT show the Big Boy, but it DOES feature an arrival by the also-impressive 844. Sound quality is really good, too. Enjoy!

trialsguy likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Some period footage of the Big Boy 4-8-8-4 at work:

trialsguy likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 PM

I watched one of those shows where they were rebuilding an old steam engine and it was fascinating. There was no such thing as spare parts. Everything had to be hand made and hand fitted. The amount of money and work make this thing a must see.

I'll probably try to see it in Evanston wyo. They have been rebuilding the train station, in Evanston, and its right across the street from where I work.
Rickifumi likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
Some period footage of the Big Boy 4-8-8-4 at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akvLweWOd0g
Is that 4-8-8-4 the same as the locomotive that they have at the Henry Ford Museum? https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...lide=gs-187634

That thing is so big, at over a million pounds, that it is hard to take a picture of it. The museum has a facility where you can watch several locomotive being restored.
Rickifumi likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Henry Ford has an Allegheny-class locomotive, of the 2-6-6-6 wheel arrangement. It is several feet shorter than Big Boy and similar in weight at just over 600 tons. Big Boy was also capable of greater tractive effort.

The Allegheny was produced by Lima Locomotive Works in Ohio, and Big Boy by American Locomotive Works (Alco) in Schenectady, NY. They are super impressive machines by any standard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page