Suspension settings - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Suspension settings

I'm a casual rider that doesn't race or scrape pegs in the twisties. I weigh around 240lbs and ride solo. I don't want to spend money on upgrading the suspension unless I have to.

I have a 2015 I bought as a new leftover last year. The only thing I've done to the suspension is mess with the rear springload adjuster a little.

What settings would you recommend for the stock suspension for me? I'm a total newb at this this stuff so please try to put your suggestions in layman's terms that I can understand. TIA

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 PM

Find a reputable shop that can help you set the suspension sag with you on board. That's key. A friend can do it for you as well but you may need two friends to hold the bike up while you sit on it and someone measures the sag. From there, increase rebound damping on the rear and front until you find the right setting of comfort and control. It won't take you long to fine tune the damping. A little goes a long way when it comes to damping adjustments.

Personally for me, I weigh 185 with gear. I have the springs set at factory setting. Then I actually turned DOWN the damping a both F & R from stock setting by 1/4 turn. That's it. It still feels taut to me yet more compliant. I ride fast in the twisties, but I also ride a lot on less than perfect pavement so I want that compliance built in. The N1k suspension is already taut right out of the showroom so it's probably easier to make it too stiff than it is to make it compliant and still maintain control.
post #3 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
Find a reputable shop that can help you set the suspension sag with you on board. That's key. A friend can do it for you as well but you may need two friends to hold the bike up while you sit on it and someone measures the sag. From there, increase rebound damping on the rear and front until you find the right setting of comfort and control. It won't take you long to fine tune the damping. A little goes a long way when it comes to damping adjustments.

Personally for me, I weigh 185 with gear. I have the springs set at factory setting. Then I actually turned DOWN the damping a both F & R from stock setting by 1/4 turn. That's it. It still feels taut to me yet more compliant. I ride fast in the twisties, but I also ride a lot on less than perfect pavement so I want that compliance built in. The N1k suspension is already taut right out of the showroom so it's probably easier to make it too stiff than it is to make it compliant and still maintain control.
Thanks. I will look for a good shop.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Found a shop willing to do it but they're saying the only way I'd notice any real difference is if they completely rework the current shocks with new springs, etc. Said they'd hate for me to pay an hour or two of labor and not really notice any difference. Does that sound right to you? It doesn't have to be perfect for me.

post #5 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
Found a shop willing to do it but they're saying the only way I'd notice any real difference is if they completely rework the current shocks with new springs, etc. Said they'd hate for me to pay an hour or two of labor and not really notice any difference. Does that sound right to you? It doesn't have to be perfect for me.
At 240lbs on a bike designed for a rider like 160-180lbs, they are not wrong. To get a good sag number you're going to have to run a lot of spring preload and that is going to make for a very harsh ride. Then you'll need to really add a lot of rebound damping, almost closing the circuit. If you upgrade the springs to get a good sag number, there definitely won't be enough rebound damping in the fork or shock to optimally control it.
rcannon409 likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #6 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrmeltr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post

At 240lbs on a bike designed for a rider like 160-180lbs, they are not wrong. To get a good sag number you're going to have to run a lot of spring preload and that is going to make for a very harsh ride. Then you'll need to really add a lot of rebound damping, almost closing the circuit. If you upgrade the springs to get a good sag number, there definitely won't be enough rebound damping in the fork or shock to optimally control it.
Ok. They'll be getting me an estimate in the next day or two and we'll go from there. Thanks

post #7 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Just called Traxxion Dynamics and realized they're only about 160 miles away. They said we could schedule an appt and they could rework my stock suspension and have me done the same day. Will be calling Dan soon and getting estimates.

post #8 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 05:14 PM

Chowda, for less than ten bucks why not join Dave Moss Tuning for a month and watch his videos on topics such as yours? Dave is vastly experienced and he even does individual Remote Tuning sessions with his subscribers. He is not a racer or trackday-only guy, but helps street riders too. You may find that throwing more money at your motorcycle is unnecessary. I think you'd enjoy the process.
agurudev likes this.
post #9 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
Chowda, for less than ten bucks why not join Dave Moss Tuning for a month and watch his videos on topics such as yours? Dave is vastly experienced and he even does individual Remote Tuning sessions with his subscribers. He is not a racer or trackday-only guy, but helps street riders too. You may find that throwing more money at your motorcycle is unnecessary. I think you'd enjoy the process.
Rick this is great advice for someone within a reasonable weight range of the stock spring rate and damping. At 225lbs I got my bike as good as it well get, which is still not very good compared to bikes I've owned with a suspension sprung and valved for my weight.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #10 of 36 Old 10-21-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Would it be reasonable to send the rear to be reworked and adjust the fronts as-is possibly adding different fluid without having them resprung? Seems to me that the rear would take the majority of abuse due to my weight being over the rear shock and not leaned over the front suspension.

Last edited by Chowda; 10-21-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page