Suspension options - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Suspension options

I know some of you have upgraded your suspensions, definitely looking to upgrade mine as well. Just not sure what to get. I'd love to get ohlins (love the look), yes, I'm shallow. Plus I know they are good. Just not sure if they have any that fit. I think the stx 46 fit, anyone confirm? I believe Nitron and Penske are my other options as well. Anything I'm missing? Nitron I'm not familiar with, but from my limited knowledge all three are excellent performers, just preference?

For front, just cartridges correct? Any suggestions for these?

Coming from modding cars, my last modded car was a BMW M6, the prices are shocking in a good way. My exhaust cost as much as my bike, so my budget will go a lot further. So not too concerned about the costs, but don't want to waste money foolishly obviously.

I found a shop to do my tuning and headers, but wondering if anyone here has any shops they can rec in south Florida? Anywhere from Miami to Palm Beach would work. TIA.

Forgot to add, I weigh 245#'s, so I'm not a small guy, if that matters.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 10:21 PM

I know there area lot of choices. Traxxion Dynamics sells Penske and has a ton of experience on this specific bike. There are several different price points you can choose from as well. At 245, you will find this to be very worthwhile, no matter what you choose. Their service was good, but like a place that employs 3 but needs 5 sort of thing. Norton has cool stuff for our bikes, too. Penske sort of leaves you out there with what to do with the remote reservoir. Its workable, but I wished they had a better bracket. I ended up with ak20 cartridges and their double shock.

If you are going with custom suspension, there is nothing magical about any specific brand. They all use quality materials as the base product, and it will only be as good as the person who is setting it up for you. Dont pay custom prices for something shipped to you in factory packaging. Its expensive. Make them set it for you.

I'm sure you'll call the same places I did. Make sure you stress NINJA 1000...NOT THE ZX10R.
skootin likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM

I agree with RC. I'd be sure to call Traxxion Dynamics for their range of Penske shocks specifically recommended for the Ninja 1000 as well as their excellent AK-20 fork cartridges kit. And best of all, they will set-up the suspension for preload, compression and rebound according to your weight and riding style. It is like a baseline setting and you can stiffen/relax the tune later as you gain experience with how the bike rides. If you go the whole hog, your bike's handling will be transformed.
rcannon409 and skootin like this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 10:06 AM

I'm not sure how many years I went without high end suspension on my streetbikes...close to 50, I suppose. At that point, I had revalved my dirt bikes, but never a streetbike. Penske/Traxxion was the most experienced with this ninja, so I went that way. Prior to doing so, I looked for a local option. This avoids shipping, and it would be nice to have a local person....just because.

I order my stuff, on Friday. The following Monday I am looking at one of the message boards and I see that Nitron Shocks announces their USA headquarters will be set up 25 miles from my house. It just figures. Anyway, the shock was an easy bolt on item. The fork cartridges were easy to install as well. You keep your original fork cap, and throw everything else in the trash. Bikram is correct on set up. You could do nothing and be very satisfied with what they send. If you have to ship your forks, those padded rifle bases work great. Wal mart has them.
skootin likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:16 AM

I was interested in downtime. I did this in the middle of riding season. I worked with a guy named Dan, at Traxxion, and he was awesome. They also have a military discount. I told him my dad was "Captain Crunch" . He laughed, and I got a discount. Not the military discount, but a decent one, anyway..... The ak 20 cartridges were an expensive way to eliminate downtime, as was the replacement shock. The money? I don't know..by now I would have spent it on something else, right?

I would have liked to try their lower cost fork option. If you send in the fork, they can re-valve and re spring it, for much less money than a full cartridge. This interests me because the initial work I had them do was on a stock shock. I bought a spare and sent it in. For 350, they revalved and re sprung it. It worked very well. So well that my friend Jay offered me full value for it. That started the lightbulb in my brain. I knew I could save a few dollars if I bought a shock AND fork cartridges. So, I sold the rebuilt shock and ordered everything.

This article was pretty good. His comments about the rear suspension are not correct. His spools were hitting the muffler, but its still good info. I do believe his Ninja was the first they ever did. Check out the modified stock shock. He has pictures.

http://www.cyclepathic.com/ninja1000...suspension.htm
skootin likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:10 PM

I was going to post a link to this thread" Lots of good information here. The one member, "Exp Matters" had a shock that was to die for. "Bitubo" brand, and it looked .....I dont think i've seen anything that looked better.

https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/fo...k-options.html

The Penske shock is nice because its very simple. Assuming you have a bottle of Nitrogen, or Argon (all the cool kids charge the shock with Argon) we could rebuild it in my garage, with no special tools needed.

I think this is his bike, and the picture is in here, somewhere. Index of /~Fre/z1000sx

This is the information thread: https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/fo...k-options.html
skootin likes this.

Last edited by rcannon409; 10-17-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Damn, that shock looks sick!!! I want!!! Going to check those threads out. I'm a sucker for aesthetics.

rcannon409 likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:30 PM

Nitron R2

rcannon409 and skootin like this.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I was reading about your experience with the Nitron. I checked websites, still not listed for our years. IIRC, 2013 was the year you purchased? Beautiful setup as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in