Suspension options - Page 4 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM

I went back and looked through my Traxxion e mail invoices.

My awesome thought, back in 2013, was to upgrade the rear shock. I did the 350.00 spring and valve. At that point, my dumb ass decides to finish the 2013 season and upgrade the fork in the off season.

I lasted 2 days and 77 miles. The bike was a mess. The shock was just right. No need to change a thing, but the fork was a disaster. Way worse than a stock bike.

Maybe a person could do fork first? I call Traxxion and talked about ak20's. Yes, he can build them and for a lot more, I can get the real penske shock, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 PM

Hi all, just a heads up - Im selling my Traxxion AK-20's (see for sale section) as Im trading my bike soon. Significantly less than what you would pay to Traxxion directly.
post #33 of 38 Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 PM

Swapping out only the rear shock on a '92 VFR-750F turned that thing into one of the worst handling motorcycles I ever rode. From the slightly dopey but manageable stock bike to something with a taste for blood. Tank-slappers, front tire pushing, high speed weaves, just demonic. I could tell the front to rear spring balance was WAY off, it felt like the axis of chassis rotation was about three-quarters of the way back on the bike. The bike wasn't inspiring enough to keep (as you might expect with a '92 ZX-7R also in the garage!) and dial in. An AFM racer took it out for a hard ride and came back laughing. Out the door she went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 07-12-2019, 10:32 AM

It does sound crazy, but bad/bad was way better than bad/good. I wish there was a halfway reasonable, 500 dollar fix, but i think its one of those things where its all in, or nothing.
post #35 of 38 Old 07-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Just this past week I had dan at traxxion build me up a set of cartridges and I’m not disappointed let me just make that clear. He’s always by the phone to help out and just a great guy and wealth of knowledge as well
rcannon409 likes this.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-13-2019, 07:33 PM

That's who I worked with, too, and he's excellent. They need two or three Dans.

What are you doing about your shock, or did you bet both?
post #37 of 38 Old 07-13-2019, 11:17 PM

I haven’t decided yet. This week I got the akrapovic dual head pipes and sc project gp slip ons. I’m tapped out till next week haha. I talked to dan about the differences between the Penske and the Ohlins stx46. He said they are essentially the same and the Ohlins is cheaper and he’s also a dealer for them and will beat any price you find. Seems like a no brainer
post #38 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 AM

As long as the Ohlins has length adjust, hell yes. I've found that feature to be a really nice way to dial in handling response, for lack of a better description. Well worth paying extra for , if you had to. But, I think Ohlins has a better system for their reservoir.

There's a certain spec, or performance they set these shocks up for. I dont mean to act like you dont know this...I dont mean that, at all. I had a dyno readout for both my modified stock shock and my penske shock. There were slight differences, but they were the same within a 2-5% window....and 5% would really be stretching the truth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page