Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rebuild - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Johnmark101

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-02-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rebuild

Had my suspension rebuilt by Traxxion last week and finally had the opportunity to take the bike for a ride on some of my favorite local roads.

I looked at doing the AK-20s and a Penske verses just doing a rebuild with new springs and valves. The rebuild was half the price and sounded like it would get me what I want so that is what I decided to do. I discussed what I wanted and how I use the bike with their suspension tech and left the bike in his hands. They rebuilt the front forks with new 1.0 Omni springs and new Axxion valves. The rear shock was rebuilt with a Hyperco 7x550 and new Axxion valves. There were other new bits, (seals, buffer kit, nitrogen port etc) and they polished the forks but rather than go into too many details here is my first ride impression.

For what it is worth, I am 6'1" and 182 pounds in shorts and a tee shirt. Running Dunlop Roadsmart 2 tires with 33 / 37 for tire pressures.

The ride is definitely firm but not to the point of being harsh. Bump absorption is a little better over pavement imperfections and expansion joints at bridges but not as much as I had hoped it would be. After checking my mirrors I grabbed the brakes a few times and was pleased that the front of the bike does not dive nearly as much under hard braking. Front end feels very stable under hard braking. When just riding the bike at legal speeds on unchallenging roads the bike feels little different other than more taut. Made it to my one of my favorite twisty roads and started off easy. Right away, the first thing I noticed is how much better the bike finishes the turns. Gassing it out of the corner the bike holds line and lean angle with much less effort and the rear end did not feel like it was moving around at all, even over bumpy turns. The bike really feels planted through the corner and the rear is much more stable. After a bit I picked up the pace a little to test the front end on corner entry. Improved feeling and confidence in the front end of the bike and goes where I want with ease. Started to push the pace to the point where the stock suspension would begin to reveal it's limitations and the bike just handled beautifully, with less effort. It seemed the more the pace increased, the more the new suspension paid off. Very confidence inspiring. Put some DOT race tires on it and it would be track day ready!!

I am definitely happy with the results and feel it was money well spent. However, my impression is that the biggest improvement may be the rear shock. For someone not wanting to spend a lot of money, just getting the rear shock done first and seeing if that gives you what you want before doing the forks might be a good idea. Getting the forks done was almost two thirds of the total cost, which was 1200 dollars with Traxxion taking the bike and doing all the work.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.....ECU reflashed by Ivan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2017, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the detailed feedback, John. I'm glad you went in for the suspension work to Traxxion because I find them to be honest in their work and advice. Their communication is clear in setting out what to expect of the dollar you spend, whether you opt for a rebuild or the full upgrade. I found their baseline settings to be perfect and so far I haven't altered those. I will mess around with that in time but at the moment I'm just soaking in the amazing transformation in every aspect of the riding experience.

From your excellent description of the difference you feel in real-world riding I can see that the rebuild is great in the handling department and in the confidence to push the bike through the twisty stuff. Perhaps the full kit gives a better ride in terms of just gliding over road imperfections (goodbye tramlining) and lending a plushness to the ride as opposed to a more firm ride.

Whether one opts for a rebuild or the full kit, Traxxion delivers your money's worth. I find this to be the best upgrade I have done to my bike.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #3 of 5 Old 04-03-2017, 08:02 AM

John, nice report. Well written, and you made some great observations.

I did try what you are suggesting, or questioning. My first move, regarding suspension, was to have that rear shock done. Traxxion did the same to mine, and I tried not doing anything with the forks. Yes, I ended up buying a Penske shock, but that was mostly because a friend wanted my modified traxxion shock.

You did not mention what year your bike was. Its possible your stock forks were better than mine if yours was a 14 or newer machine.

Mine, being a 2012, had the original forks, and the modified shock. I ran like that for about two weeks. It really was not acceptable. The front end felt like it was bouncing off everything, while the rear offered really good performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 AM

Johnny, one other thing..

Traxxion told me they could make the reworked stock shock, or reworked stock fork internals, match the Penske/ak 20 parts, on a suspension dyno.

I then asked , "If that's true, then what does the extra 1200.00 buy?" And I do suspect I spent an extra 1200.00 vs what you did, if not more.

Dan told me the extra cost buys comfort. He said if all else was equal, the more expensive parts offer added comfort.

All in all, I think you made a better choice than I did. I don't regret "upgrading", but I do believe my bike would have handled as well, and been just as good with the more budget friendly set up. Maybe not quite as much comfort, but I never bought my ninja as the comfort bike, anyway.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Johnny, one other thing..

Traxxion told me they could make the reworked stock shock, or reworked stock fork internals, match the Penske/ak 20 parts, on a suspension dyno.

I then asked , "If that's true, then what does the extra 1200.00 buy?" And I do suspect I spent an extra 1200.00 vs what you did, if not more.

Dan told me the extra cost buys comfort. He said if all else was equal, the more expensive parts offer added comfort.

All in all, I think you made a better choice than I did. I don't regret "upgrading", but I do believe my bike would have handled as well, and been just as good with the more budget friendly set up. Maybe not quite as much comfort, but I never bought my ninja as the comfort bike, anyway.
You are right......the AK20 / Penske set up was another 1200 bucks and exactly double the price of the rebuild. Would have loved to have gone that route but I am a bit of a tightwad and the bike is a 2013 so I did not want to put a lot more money into it. Already did Ivan's mods so I know I have a lot of money in the bike that I will never get back.

The improvement in handling, especially at a spirited pace, is amazing. It feels so planted and finishes the corners so much better! I will admit that I am a little disappointed that bump absorption when touring is not more improved as that was one of the things I was hoping for, but the focus was definitely on handling. They checked setting with me on the bike and it feels like they nailed it, but I may try some small tweaks to the compression damping up front and see what happens.

The bike feels so much more agile that I am tempted to switch back to Q3's just to take full advantage, tire mileage be damned!
rcannon409 and scuga like this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.....ECU reflashed by Ivan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page