Custom 3D Printed Parts - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-29-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Custom 3D Printed Parts

I decided to lump everything into one For Sale thread. I think that will be easier to catalog everything. If you haven't seen it here is my ideas/design progress thread: 3D Printed Parts.

All parts developed on a 2011. Fitment on later model years will be updated when available. All parts are ABS plastic in either white or grey color if unfinished.

• All prices listed are for base design shipped to in continental US. International shipping and possibly HI, AK will be extra.
  • Payment through PayPal only.
  • Pricing for custom designs will be negotiated when ordered. Estimates/quick concepts are free. Any item can be customized.
  • 10% discount for buying multiple sets.
  • Pricing is based off of design and development time, not necessarily material cost. Commercial CAD knowledge/work is most likely more expensive than you think. I am willing to sell model files, but they will be nearly as expensive as buying the parts. Selling them is also on good faith that you won't just start making and selling them yourself.
  • These parts are made to order, so lead times can potentially be long depending on orders.

Items Currently Available
1. Mirror Deletes - Basic block off plates, nothing fancy.
  • $11 per set
  • Carriage bolts included. Re-use the OEM nuts.
  • 10oz weight reduction per side.
  • 3 hour print time.
  • USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. REMOVING MIRRORS WITHOUT PROPER REPLACEMENTS CAN BE ILLEGAL AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

2. Grab Handle Deletes - Replace your grab handles with OEM-fit, low profile, block offs.
  • $55 per set
  • Hex bolts and washers included. Re-use OEM washers in between bike and part.
  • 24oz weight reduction per side.
  • 20 hour print time.

3. Turn Signal Deletes - Replace the current turn signals with OEM-fit block offs.
  • $65 per set
  • No additional hardware needed. Re-use OEM screws.
  • 4oz weight reduction per side.
  • 22 hour print time.
  • USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. REMOVING TURN SIGNALS WITHOUT PROPER REPLACEMENTS CAN BE ILLEGAL AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

4. Front Wheel Reflector GoPro Mount - Replace one front wheel reflector with GoPro mount. hardware pending
  • $15 per item.
  • Hardware unknown - I think I need to get some more screws.
  • Enables a GoPro quick connect mount to be attached to the part. A GoPro will not directly mount to this part.
  • 2 hour print time.
  • It is never advised to have an un-tethered GoPro on a moving vehicle.

Items in Development
1. Swingarm Protector above spools. Protects the swingarm against scratches from a rear stand.
2. Phone mount for triple tree.
3. See ideas thread listed above.

Parts Finishing - Shown in images below.
I will offer a few choices for finishing parts. My printer is an extruder (layers of plastic filament that are pressed through a small nozzle) so the parts will have a slightly ridged finish to them if they are not modified. It is only noticeable up close.
1. Unfinished - Rough edges will be sanded out, but otherwise untouched.
2. Unfinished painted - Rough edges will be sanded out, 2 layers of black paint, 2 layers of clear coat.
3. Bondo - Bondo Spot Putty applied to visible surfaces and sanded smooth. Will result in a smooth finish when painted.
4. Bondo and Paint - Smooth surface finish, 2 layers of black paint, 2 layers of clear coat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No Finish.jpg (329.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Just Paint.jpg (384.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Bondo Sanded.jpg (435.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Bondo Paint.jpg (330.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror Delete 1.jpg (400.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror Delete 2.jpg (359.1 KB, 24 views)
Avintage69 likes this.

2011 N1K Black/Green
Custom 3D Printed Designs Here!
Custom 3D Printed Discussion Here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-29-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

More pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Handle Delete 1.jpg (406.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Handle Delete 2.jpg (468.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Handle Delete 3.jpg (388.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Handle Delete 4.jpg (499.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Reflector_GoPro_1.jpg (476.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Reflector_GoPro_2.jpg (290.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Reflector_GoPro_3.jpg (471.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Turn_Signal_1.jpg (227.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Turn_Signal_2.jpg (238.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Turn_Signal_3.jpg (297.3 KB, 27 views)

2011 N1K Black/Green
post #3 of 20 Old 11-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Garage
PM sent.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-30-2018, 12:02 PM

I'l vouch for the quality and integrity of Chris......LaxDfns15

I was especially impressed with him because he had some trouble with my order. That is how you judge small vendors. Anyone can be cool when everything goes perfectly.

When he was making my parts, his machine messed up and there was goign to be a delay while he fixed it. When I say "delay" it was only an extra day or two. He had originally promised my parts by wed, and it was going to be Friday before I would have them. I doubt I would have noticed. A non issue.

Within an hour, I had a pm offering my money back, a discount, or whatever it would take to make me happy.

They arrived, just as promised. I had my "unfinished" grab handle deletes. I spent very little time sanding them. The black spray paint I used covered 95% of any surface imperfections and they match the bike as if Kawasaki made them. Pics are in this thread. https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/fo...d-parts-4.html

The most surprising part of this is the weight and strength. The weight is damn near zero.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #5 of 20 Old 11-30-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention I'm using a different plastic brand than I was when I made those initial pictures. My printer seems to work a lot better with it, and the lines are much smaller (accepts paint better). I just bought a couple cans of that Krylon Fusion for Plastic as I got them for under $5 a can as an Amazon add-on. I'll test it out a bit when they arrive.

Avintage, I am either not receiving any new PM's for some reason or yours didn't send.

2011 N1K Black/Green
post #6 of 20 Old 11-30-2018, 06:42 PM

Garage
It looks like the issue was on my end. I didn't have you listed as a friend or a contact so I had to acknowledge that try again . Hopefully it worked this time

Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Garage
Chris

Received everything and your right they are very lightweight. I only had a minute to look them over though so at the moment I can only comment on how complex the peices look.
(Excuse my ignorance of terminology here)
I had no clue our fairings had that rolling, curving slightly slanted thing going on. Amazing might be a better word because how you matched that up might be magic, but seriously am sure it took time.
Again thank you,
Looking forward to working with on future peices.
Kenneth.
Ninja_1000 likes this.

post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 AM

I want a set of the fairing infills but I need to decide what alternate (front) turn signal to use. Avintage, what did you choose?

2012 Ninja 1000
post #9 of 20 Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I want a set of the fairing infills but I need to decide what alternate (front) turn signal to use. Avintage, what did you choose?
You remember when and how I made the front city lights into switchback blinkers right? Normally their white then blink amber (only) while the turn signal is on and return to white after. So I have the front taken care of and might could even pass inspection with it as they are visible from the side if your 90 degrees to them. What I'm going to play with is installing something like 10 to 12 single 3mm LEDs into Chris's deletes by recessing them and applying a clear or slightly tinted epoxy after painting them to smooth them back out so that hopefully when not in use you won't know their blinkers. We'll see if works.
rcannon409 likes this.

post #10 of 20 Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I was considering doing the parking lights as switchbacks as well, along with one or two switchback 4" strips on the fairing deletes. That way I'd have forward visibility as well as side (and rear from my tail light). I really want to try these out though https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...saAq9eEALw_wcB

2011 N1K Black/Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page