2006 gsxr1000 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 14Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 01-04-2020, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
57x

2006 gsxr1000

RC, you asked for details as I progress on my 06 GSXR1000 project. Fortunately, I ended up with lots of spares from my 07 GSXR750 track bike and my 01 GSXR1000 projects. I stole many of the parts for this from the 01 as I have decided that the 1000 is just too much for me on a track and will just sell it. The 07 is finished and fun.

I'm still hunting a top clamp with risers. All of the engine covers are scratched up and nasty, so I'm going to strip and paint them.

Here is the front and rear almost finished. I didn't want to use the R&T forks, but rather save those for an SRAD project. I have a set of 07 forks with cartridges, but they won't fit and have the ignition lock work.

rcannon409 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-04-2020, 03:19 PM

Thank you. The forks and brake are beautiful.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-23-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
57x

More progress. Front end on, wheels on, shock on, damper on, brakes on, clutch perch on. It took two months for my ABM triple to arrive from Germany. I'm just waiting for my upper and tank to get some stickers made to get them to paint match the rest of the bike.

It looks like I'll have a ton of money in this bike once I finish. Even with the cost of the bike, Brembo, CRG , Ohlins, Carrozzeria, Vortex, ABM, Zero Gravity, etc., I'll probably have around a third of what I paid for my H2 SX in it. I'm in California where these parts are easier to find, and cheap. Most parts were used and cleaned up.

I'll stop threadjacking, at least for tonight.

rcannon409 likes this.

Last edited by 57x; 02-23-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 02-24-2020, 07:24 AM

I cant speak for everyone, but jack away!....I mean...That bike is beautiful.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-27-2020, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
57x

Fairings are back. Trial fit seems good. The Zero Gravity Touring windscreen might work good. I think I like it with the lower/bellypan off.

Time to flush the coolant, bleed the brakes, get fresh fuel in there. clean up the tank and the tail, install the mirrors and intake tines, install a better front fender, balance the wheels. I'm hoping for a first ride on Saturday.

rcannon409, OCL and Volfy like this.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-27-2020, 07:42 AM

That bike has to be the perfect gsxf.......this one looks better, too. That's such a great place to start from. No need to try and remove weight. That's already done.

Even the windscreen looks right. I'm anxious for a ride report.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-27-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
57x

All that is left is to put on the mirrors/turn signals and a shake down run. If all works well, it may be a run down PCH to LA for a "custom" three day weekend. She needs to have the tail and front fender cleaned/polished big time. I'll ride it ugly for a long weekend if all works out tomorrow.

If you don't know what PCH is, you should ......
post #8 of 32 Old 02-28-2020, 07:33 AM

I spent a day, or so riding along pch . Near Los Angeles as well as the area closer to SF. We have the thread where we talk about new tires. If I had another chance to ride here, this is where I'd want my good tires. It was beautiful and probably the perfect riding area.

I'm an anxious to hear how your suspension works. I wonder if the new riding g position will change that?
post #9 of 32 Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
57x

I'm sure I'll have to be careful to not make too many initial judgements.

The front calipers are Tokiko calipers from a 2015 CBR1000RR, so they are essentially the same as the N1K and H2. New Carbon Lorraine pads. Freshly scuffed Galfer rotors. Brembo RCS set to 19x18. Braided lines. In the rear is a Taiwan caliper hanger with Brembo caliper from an Aprilia, Carbon Lorraine pads and braided line. New BT-016 tires on Carrozzeria wheels.

I'll quickly get 100 miles on the new tires by heading over to my buddies at Kyle racing that freshened up my 25mm Ohlins cartridges, Ohlins pre-TTX shock and Ohlins damper to help me set the sag on the bike.

Not only will the the top bar screw with weight bias, these sharkskins, fill titanium header with carbon can as well as wheels are much lighter. It is well known that the 05-06 GSXR1000 suffers from too little trail on the front end. This mostly impacts racers, making the bike not want to finish a corner and run wide. One counter to this is to push the forks down in the triple, which for me is accomplished by the top triple sitting 4mm down, the Ohlins caps being 7mm taller than the end of the fork tubes and the top triple is 4mm thinner than the OEM triple with the caps running flush to the top. This effectively gives me 15mm longer forks. I'm thinking this will be plenty, especially with this being a street bike. Most racers run extended fork caps to accomplish this.

I can't wait to get out there!
post #10 of 32 Old 02-28-2020, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
It is well known that the 05-06 GSXR1000 suffers from too little trail on the front end. This mostly impacts racers, making the bike not want to finish a corner and run wide. One counter to this is to push the forks down in the triple, which for me is accomplished by the top triple sitting 4mm down, the Ohlins caps being 7mm taller than the end of the fork tubes and the top triple is 4mm thinner than the OEM triple with the caps running flush to the top. This effectively gives me 15mm longer forks. I'm thinking this will be plenty, especially with this being a street bike. Most racers run extended fork caps to accomplish this.
Same with '04-'05 GSXR600 and 750. A lot of guys use fork tube extenders for the track. I'm not fast enough yet to where I absolutely need them and will probably retire the '05 gixxer600 track bunny before that happens.

Anyhow, that K5 one thou is one of Suzi's best motors, ever. Not at all surprising they based their GSXS1000 on it. It's too bad they don't put an extended subframe on it, so it can accommodate hard cases. Otherwise, it would have been a more viable contender to the N1k.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page