Bimota - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 09-29-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bimota

Anyone else reading that Kawasaki is looking at and or possibly buying Bimota?
What would Bimota have that Kawi would want?

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 PM

Bimota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
Anyone else reading that Kawasaki is looking at and or possibly buying Bimota?
What would Bimota have that Kawi would want?

Bike sex........
Rock likes this.
post #3 of 35 Old 09-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Avintage, I cant imagine much. A cool name, and maybe a few engine sales? If Kawasaki bought them, I dont think we would see them using BMW or Ducati powerplants.

Bimota has been around a long time. Their original 1970 era frame looks a lot like an H2 or z900. I hope its so Kawasaki can bring back the Vdue at 9995.00, but i think that might be a long shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 09-30-2019, 01:27 PM

I read somewhere the thought was to use the Bimota name as the trial balloon for new technologies, specifically electric power trains in weird and unique packages.
post #5 of 35 Old 09-30-2019, 04:38 PM

Garage
I think it's awesome. BiMota has been going out of business is seems every year, then gets saved. This could be the best thing for it.

Per Visordown:
Kawasaki is set to announce it has bought iconic - but flagging - Italian marque Bimota; Visordown considers the reasons why...
Whilst the reason for Kawasaki buying out Bimota isnít entirely clear, there is certainly an attractiveness associated with Kawasaki dipping its toe into a more premier category with an already established brand that gravitates in similar circles without stepping on each otherís rubbered toes.
post #6 of 35 Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 PM

Given what Bimoto did with Japanese engines in their custom frames and components can you imagine what they could do with the new supercharged motors? Kawi's brute force surrounded by top of the line premium components. Not that many could afford it (and even less that could utilize it) but there's a value in having your name associated with such a product. I wonder if Bimoto still has any of the brilliant designers around from the days when they were cranking out totl products.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #7 of 35 Old 09-30-2019, 07:21 PM
57x

My guess, it's limited edition R&D affair. Stick with the Bimota approach. My guess it is break even R&D that floats to production brands. I could definitely see electric as a hot bed and not impact the Kawasaki brand until it is refined.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #8 of 35 Old 10-27-2019, 02:09 PM

Kawasaki still has not officially confirmed the acquisition of Bimota, maybe they'll do that at EICMA in November.

I liked earlier Bimotas best, when their chassis designs were a definite cut above period production bikes. That advantage disappeared as mass produced motorcycle chassis technology advanced by leaps and bounds in the late '80s and '90s. Bimota was also hamstrung by the ever-shrinking update cycles of major manufacturers: by the time Bimota could obtain a given engine on the retail market and design a motorcycle around it, the next generation production bike (and engine) would already be available on showroom floors. They were always fighting from behind. Bimota tried to produce their own motor with the V-Due, but the project cost and teething problems really pounded the last nails into their coffin.

If Kawasaki does decide to work with Bimota, shortened lead times would be an expected benefit. I'm not sure Akashi would permit the Italians to see designs still on the drawing board, but who knows?

Punch in Bimota Kawasaki on YouTube and see some pretty cool stuff, including an H2 triple 750 two-stroke!
post #9 of 35 Old 10-27-2019, 02:35 PM

I wonder if Bimota has any of it's chassis engineers left or if Kawasaki would get anything other than a name.
post #10 of 35 Old 10-27-2019, 04:15 PM

We'll know more once the deal happens. Speculation is that some may return, others not. And Massimo Tamburini can't, because he's dead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page