New toy in the garage BMW G310GS - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

New toy in the garage BMW G310GS

The last time I mentioned this bike around here was in the Superbike Remorse Thread where some people want more more more power. In that thread I mentioned that BMW intended this bike for beginners but the real market has turned out to be experienced riders who don't want 500 lb turds that can't handle single track. I've already dropped mine once and in a feat of awesomeness I could pick it up.

For guys like me, where power is a non issue, but weight is an issue, this is just the ticket.

I wasn't really looking for an adventure bike that I'm going to head out and do 5000 mile adventures on. Not gonna happen. What I really wanted was a dual sport that's comfortable enough to do a 4-500 mile day if I wanted. This bike fits the bill and is actually kind of unique in the regard.

It's lightweight at 350 lbs dry, 373 lbs wet.

Makes in the range of 30-32 hp in fully restricted stock form at the rear wheel depending on the dyno. That's way more than a CRF250L and about 4hp more than a WR250R. Having ridden both, it feels closer to the WR on the top end with much more torque in the middle.

Feels like it has enough power for me. Then again, my "main" bike is a Z125. Hahah.

Plans: Likely seat and tires. That is all. Seat will be a Seat Concepts Tall, tires will likely be Conti TKC 80s. The OEM tires aren't bad though. Not sure if I want the TKC80s - great traction they have been known to only last 1500 miles.

This bike doesn't look like it's built to a price point at all.

Beautiful cast aluminum swingarm
Trellis frame
USD 41mm dia forks
Radial mount calipers
Stainless steel brake lines
Brembo made calipers
ABS switchable standard
Gear Indicator
Fuel level indicator
Tires that don't suck

It goes deeper than that. The fit and finish is excellent and there's a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. A couple reports of failing water pumps and stators. We'll see if that happens to me. The 18's had a kickstand weld failure, fixed on the 19's. Being honest, I'll probably only own it for a year unless I really fall in love. I've been averaging a different bike every year lately. I'm probably just looking to get the excitement back that I miss after retiring from racing.
nucleus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 AM

I love it. I know the suspension is better than the Japanese offerings, too. You would need to spend 1500.00, or more, to ever get a Versys 300 to that level. Offroad riding always reminded me of being in a boat, regarding speed. 30mph, in a boat, feels like your hauling ass. Offroad motorcycles are similar, and you dont need, or want 1200cc worth of machine smashing you into the ground.

That new Yamaha 700 looks pretty good, but it's going to be at least 50lbs heavier than your BMW and not nearly as fun, offroad. I think your lighter bike would run circles around one, in the dirt.

What's the vibration level like? I'll bet its smooth. I want one.... Has offroad/on road tire technology moved ahead, like our street tires? Can you get a single tire that is good for both? Dammit, I really did not need to be thinking like this. This bike would also be awesome if you happened to get caught in an early winter snow storm...ideal for my conditions..,,
post #3 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 11:32 AM

That’s a sweet bike Zaph would come in handy back in the mountains on fire break roads or older gravel roads. I know I come across this terrain all the time. The smaller bikes are fun to ride, I love wringing out my daughters ninja 400.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Vibration of this bike isn't too bad, There's a bit more up around 70 mph in top gear but it's bearable. It's about the same as my old KLR650.

Honestly, I don't really know where off road tire tech is at. I suspect it hasn't advanced the way street tire tech has. You still have to pick your street or dirt preference. It comes with Metzeler Tourance tires which most say are 70/30 street/dirt. People are getting pretty high miles out of them, some around 15,000. The Conti TKC80's are more like 40/60 street/dirt type tires, probably why they wear so fast.

The power of this is pretty nice. Imagine being on a dirt trail with a KTM 1290 Adventure - one wrong move on that throttle and you just dug a 6" wide ditch with your rear tire.
post #5 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Some where on you tube somebody converted a gxsr 1000 into a dirt bike, you talking about crazy, that thing would throw a rooster tail in the dirt like crazy.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #6 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 04:18 PM

Mark, we have a place near us called " Little Sahara" , and like you imagine, it's all sand. There are a lot of old zx6, zx9, etc they use out there. You need a lot of power for the paddle tires, and they are pretty cool to watch.

Zaph, if I did not buy something exactly like you have, and I think I would, but the only other bike that interests me, for dual sport, would be the 2000-2001 Honda xr650r. This one:

https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/...r650r%2000.htm

Downside is it would need a street legal kit. It was offroad only, when released. Also, no electric start. Offroad, in the desert, it was one of a kind until ktm's big singles came along. For street, I doubt it would be anywhere near as comfortable, but it's a cool machine.
post #7 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah big paddle tires... a situation you do indeed need some power for.

I almost bought a street legal XR650X years back. They get titled up in Michigan, where all they need is a turn signal kit and a trip to the DMV, then they make their way down to Wisconsin.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 08:11 PM

That xr would be awesome, bit the kickstart thing sort of ruins it. Not that it was a big deal, but hell, there are YouTube videos showing how it's done, so it semi-sucks for everyone.

I think that small , twin size is the perfect combination for the dirt/street thing.
post #9 of 43 Old 08-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Garage
The GS310 is not selling well here in India, where it is actually made.

One of the reasons attributed is that it is made in the assembly plant for TVS bikes in a tech sharing initiative and as part of that, TVS gets the same engine, so they have launched a version of the 310 called the ApacheRR and it is literally half the price of the BMW. Though completely diff riding dynamics, I think it is a matter of time before TVS launches something similar.

https://www.tvsapache.com/rr310/

Added to that, the KTM 390 is selling super well here for price reasons. This market is extremely price conscious.

Ride hard, ride safe.
post #10 of 43 Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Well the GS310R (street version) isn't selling well in the states either. People generally prefer the Ninja or R3 for the same price. KTM 390's aren't selling well in the states because everyone knows about their reliability problems. They just don't have a very good reputation.

In the US market the GS adventure version is fairly unique. TVS bikes aren't aren't available in the USA. But if that Apache 310 suddenly came to the USA at half the price of everything else... you have my attention. But they would have their work cut out for them. The dealer network for BMW is well built and TVS would have to overcome a level of mistrust even though their products are excellent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in