BMW S1000XR - Opinions? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

BMW S1000XR - Opinions?

Like most riders, I'm always looking for my next bike, and the S1000XR intrigues me. Lots of "reviews" online, but moistly from new owners raving about it, which to me has very little credibility.

Any of you folks had some seat time on one? Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Sounds like a question for rocky,

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #3 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 11:59 AM

S1000xr

This is an odd first post, but I rented an XR in Croatia last year and rode it for 3 days through 4 countries. To be honest, it was fantastic. I absolutely loved it and I feel like the reviews were pretty spot on, I recently reviewed them as I am assessing whether I could put up with how ugly the bike is. All day comfortable, pretty good wind protection, sounds incredible especially while using the quickshifter/autoblipper. I was riding in the Alps and a lot of the roads were world class and found it be an incredible companion no matter the situation. Sorry, I can't think of any faults other than the looks.

I just sold my MT-07 that I rode through 8 countries and put 18000 km in the past 2 years and I'm looking at the Ninja 1000 as a top prospect due to the value. I'm moving back the the 'States in January and I'm not sure I want to get another naked. The XR is a bit more money than I would like to spend since I'll be buying a house soon but it's staying on my mind for a possible bike for the future.
RobF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Take one for a test ride and let us know.

I'm not a fan of its styling and that's a non-starter for me. But I'm interested to know about it.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
I've demoed it. Awesome performance. Simply not a fan of the adv like riding position or the looks. To me it's a superbike for old fat guys. At 44 I'm still fit and young enough to be on something with sportier ergos.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.

Last edited by tyrmeltr; 08-08-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM

I'll be renting one in a few weeks from Edelweiss for a trip through Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. A friend of mine has a S1000R that I rode a couple times that I'll also be comparing it to.

I'll report back.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 03:29 PM

I know Rock could not wait to get rid of his. His big complaint was the suspension and riding position. There was also the warranty issue.

The value is gone once its out of warranty. The reliability is not that bad, but the problems are expensive to deal with if something happens. He also had a difficult time getting rid of it. I hope he will jump in.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-08-2019, 03:40 PM

I should also mention that I worked on my friends S1000R last winter to give it a good going over as he had just bought it used.....

It's a PITA to work on. I have a new appreciation for Japanese engineering. Even as a naked bike, there's a lot of plastic to remove to get to anything. Mucho electronics and sensors which get in the way. Everything is torx, which is sort of good, I guess, but I prefer the regular fasteners.

I'm curious whether my opinion on BMW's will change after the trip......
post #9 of 26 Old 08-09-2019, 02:57 AM

Couple of friends have the XR,,. One thing is the physical size of the bike is larger then the N1K,,. Seat height and overall wheelbase,,. I always thought that BMW took the N1K lead but spun the marketing from the ADV perspective as this is where the popularity has gone with there products,,. There's a lot of them available on the used market,,.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #10 of 26 Old 08-09-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Lag 4 - alot of them on the used market? I see maybe two locally

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page