Ninja 500R - Page 3 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 107 Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A little progress made on the bike tonight. FIRST we pulled a birds nest out from under the the upper fairing. No little birds to hand feed thank goodness. LOL
Then removed the upper and lower fairing, gas tank, changed oil and antifreeze, new battery, pulled and reinstalled plugs, opened and closed breather.

Then because I just had to.... we filled up the fuel line to the carbs and with a little coaxing it fired up and in 10 seconds had us smoked out of the garage. It cleared up on the second go around and smoothed out a little but wont idle yet. Still expecting to have to pull the carbs but am hoping to not have to.

First issue up is the fuel tank. The pitcock is full of crap, and gas cap wont open. The key turns about half way and stops. We sprayed the key hole Saturday hopping but no dice it didn't free up. We've now removed the pitcock, drained all the varnish through the pitcock hole and poured a bottle of transmission fluid into the tank and sloshed it around. Open to other ideas on freeing it up if you have any? Its setting upside down at the moment although doubt there is enough fuild in the tank to submerge the cap dogs that way. I'll slosh it again before leaving in the morning and cross my fingers on the way home.
Pitcock is submerged socking in fresh gas but will have to find a rebuild kit for it, or just buy a new one.
Till next time

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 107 Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 AM

You might want o order rebuild kits, for the carbs rubber parts. They are cheap, on Ebay. I'm sure no one drained the fuel from them, and they set for this long.
post #23 of 107 Old 06-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Lightbulb Ultrasound Can Be Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
First issue up is the fuel tank. The petcock is full of crap, and gas cap wont open. The key turns about half way and stops. We sprayed the key hole Saturday hopping but no dice it didn't free up. We've now removed the petcock, drained all the varnish through the pitcock hole and poured a bottle of transmission fluid into the tank and sloshed it around. Open to other ideas on freeing it up if you have any? Its setting upside down at the moment although doubt there is enough fluid in the tank to submerge the cap dogs that way. I'll slosh it again before leaving in the morning and cross my fingers on the way home.
Petcock is submerged socking in fresh gas but will have to find a rebuild kit for it, or just buy a new one.
I would add a solvent thinner than ATF, enough to submerge the cap dogs when it is upside down, then submerge the cap area with the tank upside down in a tupperware container with water and an ultrasonic head, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPJKJTJ

Let it run a few days, and see it that does it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 107 Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Was able to get the crud out of the pit cock, both main and reserve sides are now clear. Going to have to find a way to rebuild the inlets and order screens but at least its save able. No luck on the fuel tank yet, but the sonic generator is a good idea.... I just dont know how I'd get it in the tank. May end up cutting a hole in the bottom and welding it back up later.
Opened up the carbs and both idle circuits were clogged but all in all it wasnt gat bad. About to reinstall them and add a external fuel filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190611_192157_1560302622010.jpg (86.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190611_192201_1560302638587.jpg (86.6 KB, 7 views)

Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #25 of 107 Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well with a little help from a make do fuel tank it lives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190611_211914_1560306203414.jpg (128.3 KB, 13 views)

post #26 of 107 Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 AM

That bike cracks me up. Look how clean it is..well, as if it got dirty in 19 miles.
post #27 of 107 Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I feel the same way RC. Did you notice It even still has the break in procedure sticker on the tach face. Actually all the warning stickers are still on it. It's like going back in time.
rcannon409 likes this.

post #28 of 107 Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM

I thought about that gas cap. I'll bet you opened it more than the previous owner ever did.

I did not realize the fuel cap is so similar to our newer bikes. If you can get to the backside of the fuel cap, it's really easy to disassemble the lock mechanism, and gain access to the cylinder. If you got that out, you could soak it in whatever and almost a for sure on fixing it. Way more simple than the carbs,
post #29 of 107 Old 06-12-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@rcannon409 I'm with you on being able to clean it up once I can get to it, but man that cap is being a pain to open. Have tried the trans fluid, naphtha, baking soda wich did get some rust chips out and now I've poured a jug of WD 40S Rust Remover Soak into the tank. All this stuff has gone into and came out of the pitcock hole so far.
Well see how that goes.

You were talking about things not changing much on the gas cap. I also noticed the clutch lever looks very similar to the one I baught from a 2016 650R. So yes both brake and clutch were adjustable from the factory on a 07 500R. But no not a 2015 1000. Ant that a joke.

post #30 of 107 Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 AM

Look at retail prices of the bikes, for that year. Its shocking to see a modern ninja 400 costing within a few hundred bucks of your 500. I'm sure the price on a Chevrolet Truck is still similar to 2007 levels? Uh....maybe not?

The only way to do that is to be willing to look at every component and slice 2-3 cents from it, and they really hit a home run when that figure equals 4-5 dollars.

Retail, on your bike, in 07 was 5049.00 . I dont know what discounts were like, but Cycle Trader has hundreds of Ninja 400's for less. That's crazy. I think that's where all our small features went.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page