Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Finally let my beloved honda cbr go today

714K views 19K replies 82 participants last post by  jjscsix 
#1 ·
Finally sold my cbr 500r today, the ninja looks lonely in the stable now. But it just sit there not getting the treatment it deserved. But the pretty little gal that bought it i believe will make sure it gets rode alot. She had on short shorts and flip flops and said can i ride it and im like please god no all i could picture was her laying it down and burnning holes in them pretty legs, but she survived and said its sold. I went on to lecture her about wearing riding gear and she said i know then started showing me the scars on her legs and back where she crashed her ninja 250. Said she was going to take it easy on it for awhile then as she turned on the main road i herd the two brothers exhaust singing as she was pinning it through the gears. I was thinking i hope she makes it home. The funny thing when they pulled up they was trying buy my ninja also and i said its not for sale. On the brighter side the ZX14r could turn into a reality now if i loose my mind lol.

#2 ·
Mark, if a person drives by our local college, it appears flip flops and shorts are the official outfit, go figure.

In our area, there are a lot of discounted, brand new zx14's for sale.

I prefer a smaller, lighter bike, but would still love to have one. The engine is the highlight, but everything else is good, too.

#3 ·
I kicked around the ZX idea allot before I got the Ninja, and still do, but it just seems like too much work to make it right. Then there's the cost to insure, fuel and re-tire. It's that perfect sport tourer size though and if you lose the cans and cat and drop the weight down to 550 it starts to become more appealing.

I came very close to trading my Ninja in recently as I got Day Tripper'itus, and I don't mean that as a knock on Day. But at the end of the day you just can't beat 518 lbs. with 140 HP with good ergos. My cars been in the shop for a few days so It's been all Ninja and I have to say I've re-bonded with it.

ON another note did you get a pic of that little thing in shorts Mark? ;)

#4 ·
No rock i didnt but she is suppose to come back and get a few loose items ill be ready and get a picture when she does. Also like you and Rc was talking about the ZX14r i was looking at one listed at my dealer and just physically looking at it looked so bulky, thats one thing i like about the ninja 1000 is its relatively light, plus most of my riding is on curvey mountain roads so i might not like that extra weight in those driving conditions especially riding 2 up. Evidentally im pretty sold on my ninja or i would of sold it yesterday when they was begging me to sell both my bikes. **** i guess i should of let it go its not often you run into somebody that has the kind of cash they had on them. But i didnt hesitate when i told them it wasnt for sale. right now im trying to fight off the urge to go to my dealer and jump on the ZX14, ive got a weakness for bikes lol. But it would be nice to have a kick *** bike that was more comfortable on longer trips.

#7 ·
Interesting discussion about the versatility of the Ninja 1000. I just completed a 2000 mile road trip in July (San Francisco to Whistler, British Columbia...and back) and then a 900 miler earlier this week (San Francisco to San Diego...and back). I really wanted to do some long travelling on the N1K.

I anticipated getting tired of touring on the N1K after a day or so. Not at all the case. I was very comfortable except for my right hand (no throttle lock at that point). It's not an FJR or a r1200rt, but I was more than happy with it. Now, I don't even hesitate to take it on full day road trips wherever I have to go. I may have an excuse to go back down to San Diego shortly, and if so, it will be on the N1K.

All that and performance in my beloved Santa Cruz Mountains as well. For at least the near term I can only have one bike. In that case the N1K wins over most other bikes.

#8 ·
Rock, the concours 14 is not a bad mountain bike. fjr is even a bit lighter...

I mean, you wont confuse either with a cbr1000rr, but, if the bags are removed,not half bad.

Great handling, really, but high effort, if that makes sense. It takes work, but the bikes will do it. I adjusted to its size and weight quickly.

I spent the summer of 2011 with the c14 as my only bike before the ninja, and never felt the need for something that handled better. Plus, it started to get much, much better when the riding was 30 miles away.

People toured on old yamaha xs 650 twins. We have it made, nowdays, in comparison.

#10 ·
I know what you mean RC, my sprint was the same way. It would do what you needed it to do in the twisties (albeit at a bit slower pace) but you had to work for it. Lots of weight shift and countersteering.
The Sprint, though 595lbs., had much steeper rake and less trail though. Very aggressive tourer.

I should mention I have the following N1K mods relevant to long distance travel:
Sargent Seat
Puig smoke racing windscreen
Ivan's reflash of ECU
Pirelli Angel GT's (rear 55)

After I returned from Canada, I immediately ordered at Kaoko Throttle lock (it was a toss up between this and the Throttlemeister). I used it on my trip down to San Diego and it's a pleasure. Being able to rest my throttle hand is a big plus. It's certainly not as convenient as a true cruise control, and it's hard to get the right setting going uphill, but considerably better than nothing.

I intend to do a write up of lessons learned by a newbie jumping into N1K touring, but I keep getting sidetracked with life responsibilities :rolleyes:
Ishi if you don't mind me asking, what's your size? Not that you dirty boy I mean weight and inseam :) I could never do the distance you've done on the Ninja. Maybe it just fits you better?

#9 ·
I should mention I have the following N1K mods relevant to long distance travel:
Sargent Seat
Puig smoke racing windscreen
Ivan's reflash of ECU
Pirelli Angel GT's (rear 55)

After I returned from Canada, I immediately ordered at Kaoko Throttle lock (it was a toss up between this and the Throttlemeister). I used it on my trip down to San Diego and it's a pleasure. Being able to rest my throttle hand is a big plus. It's certainly not as convenient as a true cruise control, and it's hard to get the right setting going uphill, but considerably better than nothing.

I intend to do a write up of lessons learned by a newbie jumping into N1K touring, but I keep getting sidetracked with life responsibilities :rolleyes:

#11 · (Edited)
I definately need to look into a throttle lock, my throttle hand takes a beating with this arthritis, i guess i will just keep the ninja for now since i love it, i need to get a truck any ways since my daughter confisticated my toyota tacoma, dad gum kids. Every time i get ahead my kids put me behind lol

#12 ·
Yes. Arthritis just makes it more necessary. They are a bit tricky to use, but I think I've got it figured out. While holding the throttle in the desired position I can shift my fingers down to the end of the handlebar. I can work it with two fingers holding the throttle and the other two turning the throttle lock into the lock position. The other option is to just lock the throttle lock at a lower speed than you want to go, and then increase the throttle opening. It will hold if you increase it. If you decrease it, it will also unlock the throttle lock enough to let is slip closed. Check out Kaoko and Throttlemeister. They are the two people seem to be most satisfied with.

#15 ·
Watch out describing yourselves on here there is a adult film star lurking on here

Reactions: Ishikawa and Rock
#19 ·
Ishi, do you find it comfortable to use a tank bag? I tried using one, put it on my bike and made a round of the neighbourhood but couldn't quite adjust to it. The problems for me were two-fold, one, it seemed to me that I had to widen my riding stance at the arms; and two, it prevented me from leaning (my torso onto the tank) into turns. I had fueled up to the brim and with the additional weight of the tank bag there just seemed to much heft around the front-end to lean comfortably.

Maybe I stuffed too much into the tank bag! What was your experience?

Reactions: Ishikawa
#24 · (Edited)
Bikram, I really dislike using the tank bag, for exactly the reasons you stated. I really value being able to tuck my head and torso behind the windscreen, not just to look like a Street Rossi. It allows me a rest from the wind noise, and protection from the cold (and it looks bitchin'). I knew this before I did my big road trip. I ended up bringing it to Canada because after packing and repacking 4 times I just couldn't fit everything in my wolfman duffel and KQR side bags. So in a sense, it saved me. But when I got north of Vancouver, BC at 12:30am, my textile suit was not adequate for riding through cold mist. I couldn't lean onto the tank and I could feel the chilled moist air hitting my upper chest and shoulders. I swore at that point I would find a way to do without the tank bag for my next trip. I arrived in Whistler at 3:00am and my brother fired up the hot tub right away. A hot tub has never been so necessary. But I digress...not a fan of tank bags, but this time one I'm glad I had it lying around.

It's interesting learning about travelling (or touring) by motorcycle. I ran into all sorts of little issues which I planned for on my next trip, The trip to San Diego was without the tank bag and my theory above was tested. I returned from Interstate-5 and 105F temperatures, over the Pacheco Pass to the San Francisco Bay Area. The Pacheco Pass is a notoriously windy mountain pass and it was getting late, when the Bay Area tends to really cool off. I didn't want to stop on the Pacheco Pass to put on some more layers. So I tucked behind the windscreen and made it to Highway 101 before pulling off. The chest on the tank riding position was warm enough for me to get to a safer stopping point. For me, case closed, avoid the tank bag.

#20 ·
Rock, I'd heed Mark's warning, it seems the pickings are lean for adult film stars these days ;)

#21 ·
Bikram, I have this tank bag.

Joe Rocket Manta XL Tank Bag - Motorcycle Superstore

I cant remember the last ride I took without having it with me. As long as the motorcycle I'm on has a metal tank, this bag will be with me. I'll probably be buried with it when I die.

They call it an xl, but its not large. It might hold six cans of soda.

I have a massive tank bag and it is dust covered, abandoned in the corner of the garage.

If you have a chance, try one of these. You dont even know its there.

#26 ·
RC, that's a gorgeous piece of kit. The problem for me in importing such stuff is the international shipping cost and import duties that I end up paying. So I have to be selective in what I order for myself. A pity, that.

#2,453 ·
Ha ha thats what you need, they probably find you dead 15 minutes after you get the cobra

#32 ·
Sure not a spitting worm lol

#35 ·
Lol

Reactions: sprockethead
#36 ·
Mark, that 14 is a great bike, and you should get it.

Our ninjas are nto worth much being I can get a brand new, 2015 ninja for 7999.00, so consider adding a 14 to the collection.

It will feel big and bulky for at least 45 minutes, then it becomes normal. Everything else is too small by the top of the hour. The 14 needs nothing to be finished. Brakes, suspension are pretty good, as is. Obviously, tires, but that can wait.

#37 ·
I wander how close to the weight of the ninja the 14 would be if you took off those great big exhaust and put on a light weight after market system, im going to check into insurance on one in december when a speeding ticket i got 3 years ago comes off my record. For some reason i end up getting my bikes in the winter i guess cabin fever puts me out looking more lol,im goingto try and get down there today to see if they got one on the floor, ive not been able to even sit on one yet. If i was 10 yrs younger i would of probably done had one. Im down to 3 vehicles after i sold the honda last week so the stable definately has some room lol.

#38 ·
The zx14 real weight is really 593. Stock, ready to ride, stock exhaust.

The stock exhaust is heavy. Its even heavier than it was in 2012, and then it weighed 45 lbs. You could easily lose 30lbs with an aftermarket system, and maybe more.

Kawasaki ZX-14R Streetbike | Street-Legal Slayer | Super Streetbike

If you did an exhaust, and light battery, 550 should be possible. Thats with a full tank of fuel.

That above article claims 500. Probably true of the fuel level is low?

It sounds silly to say this, but on that specific bike, light weight is not especially a great thing. Its a lot like a big, giant luxury car that just feels good, no matter its weight.

#39 ·
Finally got to sit on a new 2016 zx 1400, the dead weight felt about the same as the n1k. I would definately have to do something with the risers as its definately way to slung over for me. But all in all the bike balances out good. There price $12990.00.

#40 ·
I think im going to keep the ninja 1000 for awhile, its just now pushing 7,000 miles and runs real good on top of just having 6 grand in it a year ago. I really enjoy riding it and it fits me real well and ive got most of the mods i need except the ivans flash and full header. Im having to deal with this arthritis and numb hand and if anything its getting worse.

#44 · (Edited)
That looked like some killer acceleration, i can only imagine what that bike feels like at full throttle. Looked like it was handling good in the corners also

#45 ·
He is making it look good in corners but he's hanging off allot to get it to turn at speeds that typically wouldn't require it, which is fine, but to me speaks of it's size. A buddy of mine had one, that he did quite a bit of modding too, and he said it was not very amicable in the tight stuff. He has a Sprint GT now which is 595 lbs. with a 61" wheelbase and he says they handle very similarly. I had a Sprint GT and it handled great for a big bike but not great overall. I think I'll pass on the ZX given I'm in the mountains allot.
Maybe with an Ivan flash, dropping 30lbs. with a new exhaust, and a rear shock that raises it up a bit would do the trick, but then here we are again having to put money into a bike to make it something it's not.

I hate to say it but Day T and Horn blower are right about the XR. That and the DUke GT are the only bikes that are hitting my radar right now and I'm not loving the price tag.

#46 ·
You know i went to a bmw dealer the same day i got my ninja and the bmw's didnt do nothing for me, left and went to kaw kaw shop and the ninja was on the side walk and i immediately jumped on it and been happily married ever since