Finally let my beloved honda cbr go today - Page 909 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1012Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #9081 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Dam how long can a battery last, was thinking of getting a new one to replace the original in the 2012 nk1 but man the old battery turns the bike over great.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9082 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 10:35 AM

Mark, the OEM battery, in my c14 lasted up until March of 2017. The bike is an 08, so figure it was assembled in late 07 or early 08. Plus, the old battery was not dead. I think it had another year in it. I would have punched it longer, but the battery in it is buried. Very hard to jump start, if needed, so it was time to start that clock over.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #9083 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
Dam how long can a battery last, was thinking of getting a new one to replace the original in the 2012 nk1 but man the old battery turns the bike over great.
It depends a lot on how it was treated. I ride year around so the bike never sits more than a week or two and typically get 7-9 years out of a battery. I run a voltmeter and so I can tell when it's not holding it's charge very well. With regular use AGM batteries tend to die very friendly. That is, you'll notice it's cranking slower and slower long before it gets to the point of failing to start the bike.
All bets are off if it's been abused, e.g. allowed to run completely flat.
A garage check, if you have a meter: After returning from a ride of at least 20 minutes, shut the bike down and in a couple minutes measure the voltage at the battery. It should read 12.7-12.8VDC. Let it sit for 2-3 days and measure again and it should still read >=12.5VDC and should stay that way for a few weeks.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9084 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Battery

Quote:
I had to replace the oem battery (2014) about fours years from new. I noticed slow cranking a couple of months out. There were a couple of times where the bike sat idle with no trickle for 2 or 3 months. I now have a Tusk Lithium sfsg...
post #9085 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I'm glad the first ride is over! That's a tough one, and nice to have behind you.

I'm enjoying the hell out of that light flywheel. Figure the same power, but delivered 20% faster. Engine braking is gone, too. Too many years of riding g two strokes to ever appreciate being g able to use the engine as a brake. I almost wish I'd tried to remove another few ounces, but no complaints where I'm at now. I'm getting unexpected wheelies, and that's always fun. Vibration is just like the stock bike, so no issues.

It was good to get it out of the way. Too bad today sucks or i'd be on it now.

Quote:
Yahoo Rocky is riding again, bike was looking good and probably still feels new to you.

I only rode it two weeks before the winter kicked in so it did feel really new. Had the first service while it was stored at my friends dealership as I somehow managed to get 550 miles on it in the couple of weeks I rode it in December, so I did open it up a bit yesterday which was nice.

Markie if anything I'd get that Avintage gas mask for those wing nights
post #9086 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 03:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Dam how long can a battery last,
6 months if your bike's a KTM
rcannon409 likes this.
post #9087 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Those factory yaesau batteries are hard to beat for reliability, I finally got me a good 3 hour ride in today it was so hot that’s all i wanted

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #9088 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Those factory yaesau batteries are hard to beat for reliability
@Mark59 they really are good batteries. I can only recall once mine didn't start the bike and that was after setting for two week's while I was out of town with a 3amp USB twin port charger left plugged in. Took a charge and is still going today though. Hoping I get as many years out of mine that you are.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #9089 of 9283 Old 04-28-2019, 09:05 PM

Our Lexus rx 350. eats batteries.. How bad? You get 13.6v out of a brand new alternator,. The last two batteries have been free. Never made it out of Autozones 3 yr wattanty.....now that I'm saying this, I wonder if they have motorcycle batteries? It wont be a yuasa, but they do stand behind their batteries.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #9090 of 9283 Old 04-29-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Our Lexus rx 350. eats batteries.
Its amazing that a 12v system can handle modern vehicles. It says alot about technology today and engineers learning to prioritize functions and proper sequencing. Now if I could just convince my wife she doesn't really need the headlights to stay on for 90 seconds. LOL

When was it that Most US manufacturers changed from 6 to 12 volt..... mid 50s?

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page