Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

2013 or Newer N1K

8K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  DonRubicon 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am a new member here. Have owned several bikes in my life time. Its time to get a Ninja 1K and I have been in the market for a 2 months now. I looked at brand new ones and also the used market and realized that there are many sub 10K bikes in the used market with some decent after market stuff that are hard to beat for the price range.

I spoke to a guy who is 250 miles away from me. He has a 2013 ABS model with 9K miles. He has done the following to it:
- Fender eliminator
- Vance and Hines slip-on
- PUIG windscreen
- Shorty levers
- Throttle lock
- Rear seat cowl
- Rear spools
- Has an extra set of brand new tires

The bike doesnt have a scratch on it. Its in amazing condition - as good as brand new. All that for 5K...

I find that extremely tempting. However, in all the research I have done, the 2014's have the power modes + traction control + saddle bags + better braking and a few more... The saddle bags are perhaps the only thing I would really care for but still for the price of a 2014 (which seems to be around 8K+ used) does it make a better buy over the 2013?

I am hoping you guys will help me take a decision. Should I spend 5K and get the low mileage excellent condition 2013 with ABS or should I look for a 2014 model and shell out a lot more?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
If your wanting the hard panniers go with a 2014 or above i believe you can find one cheaper than 8 grand if you keep looking, but i have a top box on mine and dont need the panniers ppersonally i like the top box better. I really dont think you need all the traction control stuff on a nk1 but thats me personally, if it was 3-4 grand difference and the higher price bike was used too id go with the big savings and use some of that money to add ivans flash and whatever else you want.

#5 ·
That makes sense. I was anyways planning to add the power commander, dyno tune, have the engine braking reduced, and overall smoothen the power curve. I will have to spend close to $500 to do that anyways. I was thinking of the top pannier over the side saddles as well. There are extremely few 2014 used in my area (Seattle) and the ones I see are 8K+.

Moreover the N1K would be the second bike. So I am having it hard to cross the 5K price too. :)

#3 ·
Hard to say. There's another tech bump up in 2017 so you really have to figure out which features you want and how important they are to you.

I decided the 2014-2016 models were my sweet spot and ended up buying a 2016 "new" a few months ago for significantly less than a 2017 or 2018.

#4 ·
You know, the problem here is where do you stop?

If you go onto cycle trader, you can get a brand new 2017 for 8999.00.

If the bags are something you want, that's an extra grand, on the 13, and they don't look nearly as nice as the newer bikes bags.

The 11-13 bikes do have lousy suspension. That did appear to improve for the 14 season, and even better for the 187-18. The 14 also has better mirrors. Lots of small things to make it a better bike.

Before I paid 8k, for any of them, I would call around on Cycle Trader and have a new one shipped to me.

If I wanted to go cheap, that 5k bike sounds nice, but does give up some features that are way too expensive to ever add.

It's a funny bike to play the price game with. Even though there really was not massive, groundbreaking differences, the newer bike is still better.

Reactions: DonRubicon
#6 ·
Exactly! Where do I stop is the question. Obviously Kawi will keep adding else why would buyers upgrade or opt for the newer models if there were no improvements. To be honest, I was pretty close to buying a 2011 last summer for the same price but decided not to. A year later I am in the same boat only this time eyeing on the 2013 for the same price. Perhaps I should wait more... May be next summer target the 2014's... But again when do I stop waiting and own one?

#7 ·
The prices on these bikes just can't get much lower. Find a nice 2014, and skip the power commander. Those were awesome, but have been made obsolete. I won't need to sell you on the flash, you can Google it and get everyone else's opinion.

Ivan's Performance Products

So, you give up a year of riding to save. 500? 300? 1000, if you got lucky?

And I just saved you 150.00 on the power commander/tune. Don't ever give up riding time to save money.

#10 ·
Ok I get it. So most of you seem to be inclined towards the 2014 model... I will start my search. By the way, I am not going to stop riding. :) I currently do have a GSX S1000 and ride it quite a bit...

Reactions: rcannon409
#12 ·
I'd go with the 14+ because you mention side bags and ECU flash. Both are much more straightforward with the 14+. Bags look cleaner, flash is plug-and-play (no PC etc.).

I also thought it's interesting you're adding the N1K to the gixxer since both are the same type of bike.

#14 ·
So I originally wanted to buy the N1K in the first place. However, I got an awesome deal from a friend of mine on the S1000 that I just couldnt pass on. Moreoever its a naked bike. I dont have the faired one. But N1K has the fairings... That a lot of difference when it comes to the eyes of the wife... Thats all it takes to justify to her. SShhhhh...

#15 ·
Did more searching in the past 24 hrs and spoke with a few dealers in the area and came down to 2 bikes:
- new 2016 ABS for 8K from dealer
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-ABS-122740908

- used 2015 ABS for 6.3K from dealer - 2200 miles on odometer - has helibars - the stock exhausts has some minor scratches from sitting in the previous owner's garage
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Kawasaki-Ninja-1000-ABS-121662345

Which one would you guys recommend? Both dealers wont go any lower from what I could figure on the phone.

The used one is total black and I would have to replace the stock exhaust right away due to those scuff marks. The brand new one is a year newer but the color - I am not sure...

#17 ·
I wouldn't worry about the exhaust. It didn't come black, so the "scuffs" you're seeing is probably just paint coming of. You could easily repaint it.

The main difference is that the 2016 has a slipper clutch. That is kinda nice to have since it offers a lighter clutch pull. If you don't care too much about that feature, I'd go with the 2015 and pocket the $$.

#19 ·
You can always add the slipper clutch to the older bike for about $300 (see rcannon's story) but don't you get the new LED headlights as well on the '16?. I've seen on the forum that the LED's are much better than the crappy lights on the '14-'15 bikes - if the '16's have 'em I'd probably go for the '16.

But I must say that the green/black of the '15 you listed is MUCH NICER LOOKING than the red/black color scheme of the '16 you posted (IMO).

#20 ·
I agree. I do like the green / black scheme as well over the red/black and definitely over the pure black... Difficult choices I guess... But, the dealership didnt take good photos of the bike like the guy did. But as you said the lights + slipper clutch in the 2016 model for 8K vs the 2015 model with akrapovic for the same price??

#21 ·
I thought the lights only changed when the bike received a facelift in 2017?

I retrofitted $80 LEDs to my 2014, so not too big of a deal.

If I wanted new, I'd go for a 2017 leftover because you can find those now for ~ $8k. It has a lot more updates than the 2016 over prior model years.

#22 ·
Lights only with the newer bike, like Luciano said....

A 17, for 8k, is a no brainer. We can find some small advantages with our older bikes. The first gens will make more power. The second gen might save you some money, but if you find a current gen, for 8k, don't even think about the older machines.

#23 ·
Well, I cant find a 2017 model for 8K for sure. So it either has to be the 2016 or I just wait a few more months till I find what I am looking for... One dealer I met today said the 2019 models will be out in 3 months and he said at the end of the season, the 2017 model year price will drop and he assures there will be plenty 2017 available then. Not sure why he was hinting me that. :)

#24 ·
Such a tough decision as I don't think I'd give up three months riding to have the newer bike.....well, I say that unless you are somewhere where riding is not so seasonal, like I have.

#25 ·
I live in Seattle but ride my bikes 8 months. SO I am good. Moreoever I have another bike - GSX S1000. So definitely can wait.

#26 ·
From everything I have seen, here are the changes between each of the model years for the Ninja 1000 (I ignored the 2011 / 2012):

2013 -> 2014/2015
- KTRC traction Control
- dual power modes
- more power
- better binders
- new ultra-rigid monobloc calipers
- non-woven air filter to increase flow to the four 38mm Keihin downdraft throttle bodies
- new subframe to allow for quick install and release of top boxes and side saddles
- rear shock has been upgraded to include a remote pre load adjuster
- taller sixth gear has been added to drop revs during highway cruising

2014/2015 -> 2016
- slipper/assist clutch

2016 -> 2017/2018
- new Bosch IMU-based electronics
- new windshield and wider fairings
- lower seat height
- new ECU tuning
- new instrument panel with shift light and gear indicator
- LED headlights

#28 ·
Ok cool. I will start looking for the left over 2017 models. So far the prices havent fallen down that much yet... Just a matter of time I guess.

#30 ·
#31 ·
Lol. I will probably do that but will do it in a few weeks from now. Let the 2019 models come out and let the season come to and end... The pressure will be more on them at that point.

#32 ·
#37 ·
#39 · (Edited)
Almost makes me wish I would’ve waited a year!! ;)

But I’m happy as a clam with my 17 that I bought new last year. I’ve enjoyed the crap out of it.

I was going to take it out yesterday but my choice came down to backrest and tunes (Harley) or sport (N1k)

I chose the Harley and did 500 miles of Colorado awesomeness.

The Ninja would’ve been a blast as well. But I’m happy I took the Harley yesterday as it was about 400 miles of new territory and it was a great relaxing ride.

Attachments

#40 ·
got a brand new '17 for $8999 a couple months ago in may (although it still came to $10k-something after all the fees and taxes and whatnots)

I specifically wanted a green one (kawi's come in one hue for me) so '18s wouldnt work out..

#41 ·
My wife, daughter and I will be rolling around San Fran and Napa area next week. If you see some moron in a 4 dr sedan waving....it was me. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.