Lifting fuel tank - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Lifting fuel tank

Sorry for the simple question, but I don't know this bike yet. I've a 2019 N1K and will need to tuck away some wires. After removing the fairings, I may find the need to tuck wires under the tank to reach the battery. Is it OK to just lift the tank up on the hinge? I know some bikes have a stand for this so you don't have to actually take the tank completely off to get underneath. Can I do same here or do I need to follow the procedure in the service manual?

Thanks ahead of time.
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 PM

No need to remove the tank, just remove the 2 bolts and lift the front of the tank.

I used an old bath towel rolled up into a "log" to hold the tank in place while I routed some wires under the right-hand side
post #3 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphyau View Post
No need to remove the tank, just remove the 2 bolts and lift the front of the tank.

I used an old bath towel rolled up into a "log" to hold the tank in place while I routed some wires under the right-hand side
Got it. Thanks mate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 07:47 PM

I propped the tank up on a ruler but same difference. Easiest done if the tank is near empty. I ran my wiring up the clutch side.
rcannon409 likes this.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 PM
57x

GSXR's come with a tank stand. I have a couple of them and use them often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200324-172850_eBay_1585096176838.jpg (472.7 KB, 4 views)
post #6 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 08:49 PM

Tank

I did it by loosening the bolt at the rear of the tank where there is a hinge, then removed the two bolts at the front. The tank was lifted/rotated up and propped with a small board wedged on the tank and triple tree being careful about the rubber hoses that run along the bottom of the tank.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 09:11 PM

Garage
I keep mine pulled back with a bungee cord to the rear seat latch. Have to use a polishing rag up on the tank to keep the bungee hook off of it.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-24-2020, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenors View Post
I propped the tank up on a ruler but same difference. Easiest done if the tank is near empty. I ran my wiring up the clutch side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
GSXR's come with a tank stand. I have a couple of them and use them often.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sand View Post
I did it by loosening the bolt at the rear of the tank where there is a hinge, then removed the two bolts at the front. The tank was lifted/rotated up and propped with a small board wedged on the tank and triple tree being careful about the rubber hoses that run along the bottom of the tank.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
I keep mine pulled back with a bungee cord to the rear seat latch. Have to use a polishing rag up on the tank to keep the bungee hook off of it.
Thank you!
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 06:40 AM

I've had good luck using a half used roll of paper towels. Stuff it back near the pivot point. Much safer than when I end up bumping the rod, and knocking it across the garage. I've done that 20 or 30 times, no idea why
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 03:40 PM

Garage
Basically anything you can find in your garage to use as a wedge is fine. I typically use a piece of 2x4.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in