Fuel gauge - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-13-2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Recently replaced my fuel filter witch required a partial disassembly of the fuel pump assembly. The fuel filter solved my top end power loss but now I have a fuel gauge that wont read correctly.
In three fill ups since reinstallation it hast read full till ether leaning it over hard in a left hander, hitting a fairly decent bump or major dip. I've thrown it back and forth while sitting still and while rolling neither of witch had an effect.
Once reading full it seems to track fuel consumption like normal, but say at half a tank if you stop and put the bike on the kick stand it will drop down to 1 bar and may or may not rise to 2.
I'm thinking I might have turned the pump assembly a bolt hole but would love your input on things to check before removing it again.

As always I appreciate all comments.
Kenneth

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 AM

The last pump I worked on had a float system that was about as sophisticated as a toilet. It floated more/less depending on how high the level was. I suspect this is the same?

If it were turned at a different angle, within the tank, it could be binding up , or not rising or falling to the levels it thiins it's supposed to be at. Your idea makes perfect sense. The diagram appears to show the float the front of the tank. Is that how yours is?
post #3 of 16 Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah it's a standard resistance based sending unit with a "toilet" float and stubby little arm.

Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 PM

Did you get your filter from Kawasaki, or aftermarket? For a long time, kawasaki never had a replacement filter for their pumps. You had to use aftermarket filters. They were very cheap, aftermarket. I bought 3 of them for 10.00, or maybe less.

Kawasaki did have a filter, but it was for their offroad 4 wheeled machines and it also fit their fuel pumps.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-14-2020, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It was from Babbitts and listed for my bike, came with three O-rings and think it was 60.00 dollars. After getting it in I compared it to the ones listed on line and they look identical. I replaced the orings but could find nothing wrong with the used ones.

post #6 of 16 Old 01-15-2020, 12:41 PM
OCL

Can the fuel sending unit be replaced?
post #7 of 16 Old 01-15-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCL View Post
Can the fuel sending unit be replaced?
I've been doing some looking into that and as of yet haven't found just the sender. Babbitts has it as part of the assembly and that is listed for 440.00$ but yes if I could find it and figure out where to get it it can be replaced.

post #8 of 16 Old 01-15-2020, 10:06 PM

Where do you have the float located? I think it would need to face the front for it to have the full range of motion.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-15-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm thinking I placed it straight forward, at least I knew it needed to be but at this point I'm second guessing myself.
rcannon409 likes this.

post #10 of 16 Old 01-16-2020, 12:56 PM

Can you hold a lit match, or bic lighter over the cap?

No, i have one of those cheap ass pencil cams. Its 10.00 on ebay. It connects to your phone. If the fuel level is low, you might be able to get a look without removing anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page