Coolant change - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Coolant change

Will be doing a coolant change soon. Should I flush the system with distilled water or just drain and refill? It's a 15 bought new last year and has about 650 miles. Also, the coolant reservoir is by the rear shock. Should I just siphon the coolant out of it or remove it and drain it? Thanks

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone which brand coolant is in the bike now or does it vary from dealer to dealer as they assemble the bikes? It's a green color.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #3 of 11 Old 12-08-2019, 02:35 PM
OCL

Just get what the dealer sells. I believe the bike already comes with engine oil and coolant from the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 07:20 AM

I have been using Maxima Coolanol with good results. If you have the time flushing the system with distilled water is a good idea......need to do this to mine in the spring. If it is not too much trouble I would remove the reservoir and rinse it out. If you can see it clearly and there does not appear to be any sediment or contamination in the bottle you can get by with just siphoning out what you can.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #5 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 07:25 AM

Do you really need to change with only 650 miles?

ATGATT

2013 BMW K1300S 30 YR Edition

Past bikes
1972 Honda XL100
1974 Suzuki TM250
1974 Honda Elsinore250cr
1984 Honda Sabre v45
1986 Honda Sabre v65
1990 Harley 1200 Sporty
2003 Yamaha Vmax
2009 KTM 450 XCF -stolen
2011 Ninja N1k
2007 Honda 250 Crf250X
post #6 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Do you really need to change with only 650 miles?
I was wondering the same but folks on this forum that know more than me said it's a good idea to change it and the brake fluid since the bike was assembled/filled over 3 years ago. I'll take their recommendations since it's an easy job. I think I'll just drain and refill the coolant instead of flushing it though.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Might as well do it but I wouldn't bother with the flush as it doesn't drain completely anyways so if you flush it with distilled water your end result is replacing coolent with distilled water,,. Just get the OEM coolent drain it and replace it with the same,,. Easy!!

My bike was a older with more miles so I did do the distilled water flush and replaced it with a 5 year Preston product formulated for aluminum engines, problem with that is the dealer topped off the coolent when they did the valve adjustment and probable used the OEM brand so I have a mix of the three, Distilled Water, Preston and OEM brand,,.
rcannon409 likes this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2019, 11:53 PM

Anyone try Engine Ice?
Results?
post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2019, 03:25 AM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denn View Post
Anyone try Engine Ice?
Results?
Engine Ice works great in my track bike. I flush it twice per year, as it offers no corrosion protection. It's expensive, but hell, when is a track bike inexpensive? I won't run it in my street bikes as I'm too lazy to change it that often, and I never push it hard enough to need the extra protection.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 PM

I'm with Lag. This is really easy to do. Do it often enough to where a flush is not necessary. Especially if it's cold where you are. The system holds so little it does bot take much water left behind to dilute that magical 50/50 ratio.

I've used engine ice and it worked fine...as did normal coolant. You really have to go to that Evan's brand coolant to see a coolant that's THAT much different than anything else....and that shit has it's own issues...it just has a high boiling point. Concrete has a high boiling point, too, so dont get sidetracked with just the boiling point. Look at how efficient coolants are with removing heat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page