New leftover 2015 service - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-04-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

New leftover 2015 service

Have a 2015 I bought as a new leftover December 2018. It has 600 miles so I'll be doing the first oil change soon. Would you recommend changing the coolant and brake fluid since it's technically going on 5 years old or should they be checked/replaced at the recommended mileage in the manual since they're also technically new?

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 PM

Definitely change the brake fluid. Coolant might be okay but I would change that as well since it is an easy job.
rcannon409 likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #3 of 26 Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 PM

Garage
Brake fluid is 3 years past due, I would flush asap.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know what size bleeder valves are on the N1k calipers? Looking online it seems like a very easy process.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #5 of 26 Old 11-04-2019, 10:58 PM

You dont need anything but an 8mm wrench, and some clear, vinyl tubing.

I would do just whats suggested, and for sure do the coolant. Its very easy to do on this bike, so why not do it. I just pop the hose loose. The hose on the left side of the bike. Its also 4 yrs overdue for Ivans flash.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
You dont need anything but an 8mm wrench, and some clear, vinyl tubing.

I would do just whats suggested, and for sure do the coolant. Its very easy to do on this bike, so why not do it. I just pop the hose loose. The hose on the left side of the bike. Its also 4 yrs overdue for Ivans flash.
Appreciate the advice. Is the coolant just a simple drain and refill? Is there a particular type/brand you recommend? The manual just says use a permanent type coolant.

post #7 of 26 Old 11-05-2019, 07:52 AM

Garage
While researching this for my change I found where Kawasaki recommended "Green coolant". Strang for them to list it that way but green coolant is standard Glycol based and what I went back with.
As far as drain and refill... yes I would say with the low milage your not so far behind that you need to flush every drop of old coolant from the entire system.
rcannon409 likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-05-2019, 09:24 AM

I got sick of having different coolants in the garage, so I converted everything over to the Zerex asian for Toyotas. The bike does not hold that much, and its difficult to drain much more than half of it. You can get that in the blue, or pink color.

I drained, and refilled 2 or 3 times using the new antifreeze. No water, or flushing stuff as it gets cold here and i cant take a chance on leaving water behind. As soon as the drained antifreeze looked like what I put in, I stopped. Wal Mart has about 42 different brands, so I mention the Toyota stuff just because its worked well. I think i did this 4 years back. Its been a while.

I know i did not use 2 complete gallons. I had some left over. Now, on a yearly basis, i drain all that I can, and top up with the same.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
Appreciate the advice. Is the coolant just a simple drain and refill? Is there a particular type/brand you recommend? The manual just says use a permanent type coolant.
I would highly recommend using the Pro Honda Coolant. It is specifically designed for aluminum engined bikes and bike water pump seals that can't tolerate Silica Aluminumum Inhibitors, which is present in 90% of coolant in the aftermarket. This Coolant is widely available at any Honda dealership, or online, including Amazon. I've tried other Coolant, and have had experience in water pump seals failing sooner from ordinary coolants that claim they're designed for aluminum motorcycle engines. Including stuff one can buy from Cycle Gear!

Draining and replacing the coolant on the N1k is one of the easiest jobs ever. One bolt to drain. You just have to remove the right fairing to for easier access to the drain bolt, and the left fairing to access the radiator fill cap. After you drain, replace drain bolt AND replace washer for that bolt with a new one, fill radiator to near the filler neck...slowly....start engine, bring the coolant to temp, keep a close eye on the coolant that will rise up over that filler neck, rev engine a bit a few times to get rid of any air bubbles. Done. Don't forget to clean and refill the reservoir with fresh coolant too.

Last edited by OCLandspeeder; 11-05-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Modern coolants dont contain Silica Aluminumum Inhibitors. All the brands mention this "silica" as if its going to jump out and grab you, but very few use it, anymore. You would have to seek it out.....you can find coolant that does, but its not common, at all. It may have been, in 1975, or so, when Honda started selling its Honda labeled coolant.

The Honda stuff is good. You can buy it in gallon jugs for much less than the small containers. I dont know if wal mart has it, but my local Napa does.

Its really hard to choose a "wrong" antifreeze, anymore, and anything marked with the "Asian" label is for sure going to be ok in your motorcycles.
CRFan1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page