Breaking Loose Primary Sprocket Bolt - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Breaking Loose Primary Sprocket Bolt

Ok, first time doing this on my Ninja 1000. About to replace the OEM chain & sprockets. Got to the primary sprocket bolt.

Questions:
1) The bolt looks weird, it appears to have two sizes of sockets, a small one and a large one. The smaller is a 27mm, the larger is...not sure. 32 seems too big so maybe it's a 30 mm but I don't think that exists. Is the 27mm the correct one?

2) How the hell do I break this bolt loose? WTF! I locked the wheel with a piece of wood on the wheel. That piece of wood broke in half because the sprocket bolt is so freakin' tight! I heated it up, but not sure how hot I needed it to be just too hot to touch. Still will not break loose!

Help!!

Would using the rear brake work better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 05:23 PM

It is a strange bolt. They do make a special socket, but i was ok with my normal 27mm.

Mine broke loose because my wood piece must have been .00001% stronger than yours. Mine ended up snapping, too, and the broken pieces snapped off my valve stem. The other end slapped me on the ass.

The very best method is something air powered. Hit it hard, and it will break loose. A tire shop is a good bet. Otherwise, theres no choice but stringer wood and a longer cheater bar.

I did mine when the bike was brand new. I figured time and corrosion would not help.. i
If yours is corroded, i like atf in place of the pb blaster. I think it works a little better.
post #3 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Damn! Ok I'll try a longer breaker bar. I'm already using a 18" long one.

What a freakin' mess! I don't know what lube the previous owner used.

Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

I feel much better.

Last edited by OCLandspeeder; 11-03-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 05:48 PM

PSR makes a 27/32 sized socket. Seriously cool, but its 50.00. It grabs both the small 27mm and larger 32mm part of the nut at the same time, and its flat on the end so its an excellent fit.

I ended up using an american sized, deep socket on mine, but that nut is so hard, stripping it is not an issue. I think it was a 1 1/8". It fit tight on the back, fat section. Many people ended up cutting theirs off if they did not have enough firepower to remove the nut.

Mine sheared off a piece of oak. It was about 3 inch diameter. When it let loose, i thought the transmission broke. The "snap "was that loud. It was THAT bad.

Im serious about the broken board smacking my ass. Thats how long the breaker bar+cheater bar was. I extended a 36inch model. Ill bet mine was near 60in. I heard SNAP....CRACK....and the valve stem was hanging there. With 40psi behind it, it sounded like a long fart.

Im sure we will get some stories on this. I dont believe anyone found an easy way.
post #5 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 06:14 PM

I let a shop change mine to a 16t. I didn't even consider doing it myself after reading these same types of stories across the internet.
kenors and Ninja Raven like this.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #6 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

RC, is this the Kawasaki socket you're talking about: https://www.partzilla.com/product/ka...SABEgKJSfD_BwE

No picture so I'm not sure if this is correct. Seems really cheap for an OEM socket.
post #7 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 10:16 PM

No, but that one would fun to order, just to see what it is. 4.82 is seriously cheap.

No, the socket i ordered was made by PSR. There are two sizes. We need the 27/32mm. It grabs both of those surfaces on the goofy sprocket nut. Its expensive, though.

Kawasaki Specialty Socket
post #8 of 92 Old 11-03-2019, 11:26 PM

I think the electric Milwaukee impact there strongest model which is about 200 bucks has been used to break that nut loose.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #9 of 92 Old 11-04-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
I think the electric Milwaukee impact there strongest model which is about 200 bucks has been used to break that nut loose.
That is what it took to remove mine. I tried PB Blaster with a long breaker bar, a pneumatic gun, an electric gun etc. No luck. Took it to the local shop and the mechanic walked out with the Milwaukee battery gun....spun it right off. I put it back on with a reasonable amount of torque, went home and finished the job.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #10 of 92 Old 11-04-2019, 07:31 AM

I had to cut mine off.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page