Factory panniers service - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Factory panniers service

Riding no matter what weather is out there. My KQR saddlebags' lock/unlock mechanism started to feel a bit dried out (not lock cylinders).
2 questions:
Who had experience taking those apart (for lubrication purposes) and what kind of lubrication is the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Mine did that and I didn't do any disassembly, just shot the key hole full of WD40. I also shot the plastic mechanisms with silicon spray. It worked *but* WD isn't the best thing for the key & tumblers. It eventually sets up so you have to repeat at least once a year. A graphite lubricant is probably best for the lock itself. It's what locksmiths use.
mr.sand likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2019, 07:53 PM

If moisture exposure is a factor, I think Boeshield T-9 would be perfect. It doesn't rinse off and it also protects against corrosion. Use the drip bottle (not spray) so you can apply it precisely to the metal pivot pins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
If moisture exposure is a factor, I think Boeshield T-9 would be perfect. It doesn't rinse off and it also protects against corrosion. Use the drip bottle (not spray) so you can apply it precisely to the metal pivot pins.
Boeshield is so great for so many things, amazing stuff.

2019 Ninja 1000
HyperPro RSC steering damper with Dimotiv mounting kit
Akrapovic getting ceramic coated
LED Blaster rear light
Motodynamic Fender Eliminator
USB/C/Voltmeter
Factory gel seat
Factory front sliders
Factory frame sliders
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Got Wurth cylinder lock spray (have it at work). We use it at work for cars. Works just fine. My other alternative was graphite powder.
Talked to dealership mechanics...they use sprays specifically made for that purpose (including Wurth)...rarely the powder.
Probably try to get Boeshield for myself to have it handy at home.
kenors, regarding silicon spray for plastic mechanisms. Do you have a brand name?
thx everyone for replies!
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 09:54 AM

I bought this stuff at my local locksmith shop. Its really good. Im not sure how to pronounce its name, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15714930995028975586884270489207.jpg (142.9 KB, 2 views)
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 03:01 PM

mazy330: It's Pro Honda Silicone Spray. A bit hard to get to where it's needed but with the luggage off and unlocked I just moved the locking mechanism up and down sprayed the stuff into the cracks where the parts moved in and out until everything loosened up. If it dribbles on stuff don't worry, no stains or spots remain after it's wiped off and dries.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in