Factory Break-In Instructions, All Wrong? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Factory Break-In Instructions, All Wrong?

I was talking to a motorcycle engine expert the other day about getting my bike dynoed and he told me that Kawasaki's break-in instructions were all wrong.

He said to run it hard and within 15 minutes to use high load and high RPM to seat the rings.

He said he has been building motorcycle engines for 40 years.

I'm inclined to go by what he said.

Years ago I build a kit plane (RV-6A for the curious) and the new engine called for high RPM and high load for the first 25 hours.

My manual says only up to 4000 RPM for the first 500 miles and then only up to 6000 RPM for the next 500.

This seems so low...

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 01:19 PM

I would say if Kawasaki is giving a warranty I would go by there break in specs. I have never seen issues going by the owners manual.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM

Piston rings & bores do need the high RPM to break in. But the camshaft need a slightly longer, gentler break in. Same with the brakes. Not sure about transmissions.

Just follow factory recommendations up to 600 miles. Then let it rev up near redline to 1,000 miles. Just make sure you fully warm up the engine/oil before you let it rev, don't go WOT, try not to load the engine too much. It's not really hard to do on the N1k. Without WOT or even letting it rev passed 6k the bike goes pretty fast already.

Basically don't beat on it like you stole it. I would believe Kawasaki more than an engine builder for 30 years. Was he involved in Kawasaki's racing teams that tore down race engines or bikes used in endurance racing? Did he work with Kawasaki's R&D teams when designing and testing their engines? If not then he's giving his opinions.
Northern Ninja likes this.

Last edited by OCLandspeeder; 08-26-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 03:20 PM
57x

This is as controversial topic as you will find. All I can do is show what I've done. Your results may vary.

I also have talked to a few race team engine builders. Two of them were part of the Muzzy 90s team building their Sprint, Enduro and Endurance engines. Those two were the ones that designed and built the initial seven prototype gear drive ZX7R engines with all new Factory Works supporting parts. They stated a similar process mentioned earlier. Get the new engine stable, up to oil pressure and hit it hard and often to seat the rings. Change the oil and filter after the first hour of running, again at 500 miles and again at 1000. Constantly vary engine RPM for the first 1000 miles, and never just cruise during that time.

I have used the above procedure on my last three new engines with no issues. You have to decide for yourself what procedure you will use.
nucleus likes this.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:28 PM

None of this can matter, very much. They sell too many motorcycles to people who have no idea it even needs breaking in. I think there's this feeling that nothing violent is happening, inside the motor , at low revs. I think personal feeling has a lot more to do with this than facts.

There's no way they would ever give us I instructions that ended up costing them money. If there was any significant mileage or rpm figure, this could easily be programmed into the ecu and we would be limited until these limits were removed. BMW does this.
Bc2 and nucleus like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:01 PM

Its called a hard brake-in and there is a fair amount of info on the net regarding this alternate break-in procedure,,. Some of the articles include engine piston and rings verifications samples and pictures,. The whole idea get fairly involved as I recall,,.
I broke in both of my recent two bikes by following this hard brake-in method which included running up RPM as well as a wide range of RPM's both of which exceeded recommendations by a considerable margin,,. I have never had a mechanical problem with either bike,,.
rcannon409 and nucleus like this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 PM

Years ago, one of the UK magazines had a dyno day. They asked for any and all GSXR 1000 owners to show up. That meant they had a decent sample size of all the years, and all kinds of different mods. I believe this was in 2008, so they had bike years from 2001-2007, and miles driven was all over the place.

They featured a handful of those tests. Most bike made more power, after a few dyno runs. These were bikes with 5-10,000 miles on them, and even those picked up a few hp after being run hard, like you could do on a dyno.

One in particular had been owned by a older, more conservative rider, and it gained power, on every run, despite already having 7000 miles on it. This bike was never going to be "broken in" with this guy riding it. What you could see is these powerful engines never work hard under normal, legal riding conditions. You get to use full power on very few occasions. Even then its for such a limited time
nucleus likes this.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 PM

I seat the rings by using the engines back pressure, I find the biggest, steepest longest hill I can find and gear down and let her eat without much throttle, my engine builder on my race car taught me that trick using regular dyno oil.
nucleus likes this.

Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
Old 08-26-2019, 11:36 PM

For the owners of 2017+ N1Ks, page through your owners manual to find a specific statement about the ECU storing data which can be accessed later for post-event investigations. I read that as, among other things, a brand new motor developing a problem during hard dyno pulls might get some manufacturer push-back on a warranty claim. Maybe a LOT of push-back.

Your ECU can testify against you, as this FoMoCo troubleshooting flowchart demonstrates:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 86A17FF3-7F71-4BBE-AF17-81B46E1C2F4A.jpeg (215.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 PM

What Rickifumi said, that is a game changer if you care about warranty, especially if you got an extended warranty. I’m sure if they seen pulls on the dyno it’s lights out on the warranty.
Rickifumi likes this.

Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in