First oil change..... - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-17-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Cool First oil change.....

Did my first oil change on my '19 n1k. Man was it a bear. That oil filter was put on very tight, I had to punch a hole in it with a screwdriver to break it loose. I also ended up having to take off the left side fairing to really get to the filter which I was trying to avoid doing. I used motul 7100 full synthetic and a k&n filter. I did notice the old oil I drained had a ton of metal filings from the engine breaking in which is expected. Bike was at 650 miles when change was done. I would like to know what others use for oil and filter brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-18-2019, 06:52 AM

Much discussion has been made here concerning oil and filters. I have used Mobil One 4T for years and the Kawasaki filter. I also found that the stock filter was on very tight. Wait until you try to remove the front countershaft sprocket!! They have a gorilla tightening that one at the factory!!!

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #3 of 22 Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 AM

Garage
You fought the filter and won. That makes it official.... your in the club. JJ

Before giving my 2 cents on oil..... not sure if your aware of this about our bikes but there's a chance that the oiling system can become air locked during an oil change and also a tip over. You'll know it is air locked because of the red low oil pressure light on the dash, it will remain on. Lots of threads on it but it boils down to "burping the filter" when this happens. At least one owner didnt know this and lost a motor after driving it for what sounded like a few miles. Just an FYI.

As for oil type and filter that I run. Oh boy here gos.

Tried Rotella T6 but felt it shifted notchy.
Tried Valvoline 4T and liked it in cooler weather but felt shifting wasn't as smooth when ambient temperatures exceeded 90 degrees F and pushing the bike.
Tried Motul 7100 10w60 and can report shifting was great no matter what temperature it was or how hard I was riding. Just couldn't justify the cost.
Settled on Lucas full synthetic 10W-40 from September to May. Its when temperatures in Texas can get below 40 degrees F but normally aren't above 90 by much or for long.
Starting in June though first oil change is switched to their 20W 50. Started that last year and have found no matter how hard I push the bike in temperatures above 90 or even 100 it still shifts the same.

As for oil filter I run a Fram XG 7317.
Cheers
Kenneth
nucleus and Ninja Raven like this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-18-2019, 09:53 AM

I agree with the Rotella comments. For the first 500 miles, it felt ok. At that point, shifting became notch. I've noticed this on three other bikes, so that ended that experiment. I know many use it and never complain.

You can buy real Kawasaki filters, on Ebay, for about 12.00 each. On this bike, warranty really is no concern, but if something engine related went badly, I would want a Kawasaki branded oil filter in place when I went to the shop.

That tight filter thing has been going on since 2011. The only thing tighter than the oil filter is the nut that holds the front sprocket on. That's bad, too, or always was. I'm sure we could organize a group to find whoever did this and kick their ass. It's probably a machine, but still.
nucleus and Ninja Raven like this.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-18-2019, 07:00 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Filt...a-647174218221

I used this and OEM filter came out without any struggles. I actually used the Honda version and it still worked on the Kawi.

I used the Motul 5100 10w40 Synthetic blend. No issues with shifting no matter the outside temperature, no matter the miles on it. Used it on both my 2018 and 2012. I have no plans to go full synthetic either.

Last edited by OCLandspeeder; 08-18-2019 at 07:04 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Filt...a-647174218221

I used this and OEM filter came out without any struggles. I actually used the Honda version and it still worked on the Kawi.

I used the Motul 5100 10w40 Synthetic blend. No issues with shifting no matter the outside temperature, no matter the miles on it. Used it on both my 2018 and 2012. I have no plans to go full synthetic either.

41 bucks?? man, thats expensive...10 bucks maybe!
post #7 of 22 Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 PM

I'm sure you can find less expensive ones that fit. I just used that as an example.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the advise, I knew about the air being in the engine during an oil change and made sure the light went out when I put in the initial amount of oil and when I topped it off after the initial engine start. I'll let you guys know how the motul works out.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-19-2019, 05:31 PM

I had to buy one of those expensive filter wrenches, for work. It's a larger filter than we use, but the idea is the same. The thing is awesome, and probably worth the 40.00. Much stronger than the cheep ones I would buy for myself.

The cool thing I also "had" to buy was a filter cutter. What good is an oil filter if you cant see I side of it, right.? Right...? This cutter works on all sizes of filters and you can open these sealed filters like a can of soup.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 AM

I presume you used the k&n filter with the nut on the end, should solve the problem you had with the original,,.
Contrary to advise Ive received, I hand tighten and then give it another 1/3 of a turn seems to work and sleep better at night,,.
One of the things I like about this bike is you don't normally have to remove anything else to access the drain plug and filter?

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page