Need advice on a bike I inherited - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Avintage69

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Need advice on a bike I inherited

I currently own a '17 N1K and just got another bike that I inherited from my dad. Its a Yamaha VStar 650 Custom 2003. The bike being 16 years old only has 1,400 miles on it! The bike looks bran new and is in showroom condition, its spotless. He didn't enjoy riding it but kept it really clean in the garage over the years. Putting aside that there is basically zero wear and tear on this bike, you cant get around its age and the years it sat in the garage. The only issue with the bike is, it runs like shit (choke needs to be kept out) and shifiting from neutral to first it gets stuck. The following is a list of things I plan to do and wanted everyones feed back on their opinion what should be done:

1. Remove the fuel tank and clean it.
2. Remove the fuel pump and clean it
3. Replace fuel filter
4. Remove the carbs and clean them thoroughly
5. Replace the oil for the shaft drive
6. Bleed the front breaks (The rear is a drum not sure I would need to do anything here)
7. Drain the oil and replace the oil filter and refill
8. Remove the clutch plates, clean them with brake cleaner and then resoak them in oil before reinstalling them
9. Lube the cables
10. Replace the spark plugs (Not sure if this is necessary with 1,400 miles)

Is it just safe to replace the break lines since the lines are 16 years old and not worth the risk?
Of course the tires look bran new but they are 16 years old and im concerened about them being dried out (I dont see any cracks that I can find on the rubber).

What do you think, anything I missed any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM

Garage
I recently came across a 07 Ninja 500 with 19 miles on it that hadn't been started since 08, preformed everything you just mentioned other than the clutch plate changes. My tank and carbs were the worst. Looked like dried worm dirt. The pitcock was completely clogged and half eaten away.
As for the tires mine were the same way and looked to be in great shape, still had the little vent sips on them even down the middle. So I had to see how they did and took them out to a parking lot. Surprisingly they griped fairly well and even became soft when warmed up. And I almost edged them on the first day. What changed my mind was pulling out if the neighborhood on another day and having to brake and the rear locking up way to easy. Just not worth to me. It's all risk versus reward and we all know the consequences.
Good luck
Kenneth
tford likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Yeah, for sure, change the tires, they would have hardened out sat for so long. Same goes for all hoses, please check and change. Also, check the brake liner on the rear drum brake

Ride hard, ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM

My Bro-in-law has a 2002 Honda Magna (750cc V4) with 4500 miles. It sat in his garage in Lancaster, CA so it's a hot climate. We visit once a year and I've put most of the miles on the bike. As others have said, rubber hardens over time. I started to notice after 8 or 9 years they were really slippery even with my easy going riding style. I'd replace them soonest.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page