Just another oil report - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Just another oil report

FWIW:

I occasionally get oil reports just to assure everything is OK inside the engine. Recently I did a long trip to So. Cal. and rather than short change the 5k mile intervals I normally use, I decided to let it run and ended up with 7700 miles on the oil so I did a report on it. It's attached.

Basic summary, everything was fine even at 7700 miles. Kawasaki schedules oil changes at 7600 mile intervals and it seems to be about right. I do use full synthetic Mobil 1 4T oil.
---------------------
Summary:
"KEN: Wear metals look great. The universal averages for this type of engine are based on just under 4,000 miles on the oil. You ran longer and got better-than-average metals -- that's excellent. This engine is wearing with the best of them! The slightly thin viscosity is no problem at all, and the small amount of fuel dilution didn't hurt anything, either. No other contamination was found, and insolubles read very low, showing low levels of oxidation and excellent oil filtration. This all adds up to an excellent report! We'll look forward to building trends."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 14 NINJA-Oil Report 62k.pdf (17.0 KB, 18 views)
rcannon409 and Bc2 like this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Last edited by kenors; 07-02-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added the summary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 09:20 PM

Kenors, unless I'm mistaken, this is not as if it's the bikes first oil change, right.....?

Isn't this at least oil change 5 or 7, with at least 5000 miles on each oil change? Not a new engine, by any means.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

The mileage is in the report but for the summary the mileage was 62570 miles.
rcannon409 likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 07:41 AM

Garage
Woulda been interesting to see the TBN to know at about what mileage the base is used up. There's nothing wrong with the viscosity and metals that would dictate a need to change the oil even at 7700 miles. Most people change their oil too early on both cars and motorcycles because the oil co's have brainwashed us into believing the 5k change in the name of profit.

15' N1K - Akropovic, Ivan's Tune, Puig Short for summer, V-Stream Tall for winter, Gear Indicator, Memory Foam Seat
post #5 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM

But fresh oil feels so good!
post #6 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I don't think it's the oil companies at all who "brainwash" us to change oil too often. More often than not it's people like me (old farts) who remember 50 years ago when what used to come out of our bikes after 1k-2k miles was like dirty dishwater. I don't have any reports from back then but I'm sure that oil was full of metals and dirt and it was obvious to the naked eye that the viscosity was way too low. Even more recently with my VFRs running Golden Spectro GS4 semi-synthetic 5k mile intervals was about the limit based on reports. Metals and dirt were reaching the point where higher wear levels were occurring, sacrificial agents were about used up and viscosity was was getting too low. Full synthetic extended that to 6500 miles or so.

As for TBN, I just went back and looked at some of my old reports and TBN use to be included. I see they now have an added fee to get that test. Maybe next time.

Maintenance also depends somewhat on your philosophy. I treat the machine like I'm going to own it forever. I once had an on-line discussion with a guy who *NEVER* changed oil or filters, lubed a chain, or did any other maintenance on a bike other than an occasional wash and *NEVER* had a failure. Turns out every 2 years he traded it in with 10-12k miles on it for a new bike. Hard to argue with that if that's your modus oporandi.

Part of the reason for the higher mileage report was an Alaska trip coming up next month. Knowing the oil will be fine for a full 8k miles brings peace of mind since that oil will probably have >8k miles on it when I get back.

post #7 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenors View Post
I once had an on-line discussion with a guy who *NEVER* changed oil or filters, lubed a chain, or did any other maintenance on a bike other than an occasional wash and *NEVER* had a failure. Turns out every 2 years he traded it in with 10-12k miles on it for a new bike.
That's not too bad of an idea considering how quickly these bikes depreciate with or without farkels or maintenance. It just has to look good on trade in.

Once you have that turn over cycle built into your costs, and you're ok with forking over $3k-$4k/24 months, it's workable.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Kenors, do you have a mileage figure in mind? Some figure where you say, "Thats enough..new bike time?"
post #9 of 21 Old 07-04-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Kenors, do you have a mileage figure in mind? Some figure where you say, "Thats enough..new bike time?"
I sorta do. Usually at ~100k miles I start looking around. But anything new has to do something for me that my current ride doesn't. My '87 VFR700 only had a bit over 70k miles on it when the '90 VFR750 caught my eye as being a bit better for 2 up riding. I had 102k miles on my '90 VFR when the '98s came out. I took the '90 in for service and showed my wife a new '98 they had on the floor. She said "Happy Birthday!" and grabbed a poor salesman!

That '98 VFR had 125k miles on it when a low miles '99 caught my eye on CL. That bike met a left turning car (I did not, phew!) at just under 40k miles. That same week another '99 showed up with 4334 miles on it. It sat in a garage most of it's life. The 9 year old bike looked showroom new. I got it home and went over it and did virtually everything on the lists presented on the maintenance thread but somehow it still felt like old tech. That bike didn't make it to 100k before the '11 N1k showed up. That one was totaled as you know and 2 weeks later a great deal on a new '14 appeared.

So in about 3 years or so maybe I'll be looking for something new. So far nothing that's been added to the Ninja line makes me want to go new. IF Honda came out with a ~500#, 125HP, 75'#, VFR I'd probably be all over it, 100k or not. If the N1k smoothed out the I4 and added a centerstand I'd be on it as well. 6 dimensional traction control? Meh. Smart phone interface? Meh. I read the reviews, I visit dealers from time to time but mostly, I just ride...

post #10 of 21 Old 07-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Kenors, have you ever lost an engine on any of your high mile bikes, or come across anything that appeared to be an oil related failure?

I remember your Ninja getting totaled. I remember it bothering you as you really liked that bike.....something to do with a roundabout?...maybe? I remember it as being something way beyond your control. Anyone would have crashed under the circumstance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page