PSI for Dunlop Q3 Plus, I'm confused - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 06-28-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

PSI for Dunlop Q3 Plus, I'm confused

I just had Q3 Plus put on (190/55 rear) replacing the OEMs after 5k miles. My question has to do with the PSI. I spoke with the head mechanic and he simply said follow what the manual says for the PSI because every bike weighs differently, that made sense to me. So thats 36 front, 42 rear. Whats interesting is Dunlop recommends Q3 plus ~32psi front cold and ~30psi rear (https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...13-fast-facts/) and Dunlop web site states 42psi MAX for front and back. Yet the manual says 42psi cold for the rear. When I ride the PSI is at 46psi (over the max according to dunlop). So which is it for this tires and this is street riding with some twisties)? 32psi seems really low but the rear set to 42psi seems really high when Dunlop stats max 42psi (https://www.dunlopracing.com/product/street-track-day/) Look at those numbers the Dunlop recommendations arent close to what the Z1000SX msnual recommends. Whos right, which one to follow?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 06-28-2019, 05:53 PM

I always follow what the bike manufacturer says: 36/42 F/R on the N1k
tford and kenors like this.
post #3 of 56 Old 06-28-2019, 06:01 PM

Garage
IMO 42 psi way too high for the rear on a Q3+. I'm running 36/36 and get 6000 miles out of a rear Q3+, which is incredible durability for such a sticky tire. Dunlop's recommended looks more like where I'd start out with at the track.
tford likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 Old 06-28-2019, 07:23 PM

If you look at the sidewall of your car tire it will offer some sort of a weight rating and say something like "1500 lbs at 42 psi" , or something like that. Probably much less weight if it's on a small car.

That's all they are doing here. If you were carrying the maximum weight, it's probably a good idea to stay near that upper pressure limit. I would do that on my concours 14, fully loaded, with passenger, on a hot day, making top speed runs.

The manual, or dealer is probably smart to recommend these high as the tire would be ok under the worst conditions, but you just dont need that kind of pressure for real life situations. When you are not near the tires maximum weight rating, you get much better performance and feel near Tyrmeltrs pressures.
tford likes this.
post #5 of 56 Old 06-29-2019, 03:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tford View Post
I just had Q3 Plus put on (190/55 rear) replacing the OEMs after 5k miles. My question has to do with the PSI. I spoke with the head mechanic and he simply said follow what the manual says for the PSI because every bike weighs differently, that made sense to me. So thats 36 front, 42 rear. Whats interesting is Dunlop recommends Q3 plus ~32psi front cold and ~30psi rear (https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...13-fast-facts/) and Dunlop web site states 42psi MAX for front and back. Yet the manual says 42psi cold for the rear. When I ride the PSI is at 46psi (over the max according to dunlop). So which is it for this tires and this is street riding with some twisties)? 32psi seems really low but the rear set to 42psi seems really high when Dunlop stats max 42psi (https://www.dunlopracing.com/product/street-track-day/) Look at those numbers the Dunlop recommendations arent close to what the Z1000SX msnual recommends. Whos right, which one to follow?

Thanks
Kawa recommendation is for 190/50, by changing the profile, there might be associated changes related to that.

Secondly, you should start with the manufacturer rated PSI and then adjust based on your weight, riding style, etc.

Third, if you max rated tyre pressure is below the manufacturer recommended tyre pressure, you are probably running the wrong tyre rating, please check and change to an appropriate one.
tford likes this.

Ride hard, ride safe.
post #6 of 56 Old 06-29-2019, 07:39 AM

Always check them cold for street riding......36/42 is for a fully loaded bike with rider, passenger and luggage and is too high for just a rider and possibly a tank or tail bag. As mentioned by Tyrmeltr, Dunlop's numbers look like track day pressures and are too low for the street. I am 180 pounds before putting on gear and run 33/37 when checked cold. I get decent mileage and excellent performance from the Q3 Plus at those pressures.

Stick with the 190/55 rear. Bike will handle better than with the 190/50.
tford and tyrmeltr like this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #7 of 56 Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all the feedback.

Im 160 pounds with no gear and ride with no passenger nor any luggage. I think 35/37 f/r psi is probably a good start and Ill go from there.
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #8 of 56 Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 AM

Riding solo, 36/36 is just fine. That is my Go-To pressure on my Q3+. If I want a little more plush and traction, I might go 34/34. 42 is only for a fully loaded bike (ie: passenger). Track day pressures.............totally different discussion.

I'm now looking to try something different...........Michelin Power RS...........
tford and tyrmeltr like this.
post #9 of 56 Old 06-29-2019, 10:53 PM
Bc2

I'm not sure what this means...however I have about 700 miles on my new 2017 N1K leftover. I weigh about 175-180 with all the gear. Still on stock tires and have been running 36/38 with the rear shock adjustment (Pre-load) turned up one full turn. If anyone has any suggestions for better traction etcetera, I am all ears. My commute consists of mostly back roads at 45 to 50 mph. The pavement is choppy in places so I try to fly over it.

Bc2
post #10 of 56 Old 06-30-2019, 12:59 PM

"I'm not sure what this means"...........what specifically are you referring to? Tire pressure?

Your weight is ideal for the stock spring, so no need to change that. Nothing wrong with your tire pressure either. What issues are you have with traction?

Also, what do you mean by "preload turned up one full turn"? Turned up from what? Zero preload? The preload setting it came with when you got it? You are better off setting your SAG properly first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page