15k Mile Service - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-01-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

15k Mile Service

I finished the 15k mile service on my 2012 N1k. I bought the bike used with 13.5k miles and I put about 500 miles on it before I opened her up. Judging by the coolant crust all around the filler neck, and the black matter that came out of the brake fluid, I don't believe this bike has ever had any service done except for oil & filter changes. Oil and filter looked recently changed but the oil that came out of it was REALLY thin but not black. My guess is, dealer changed the oil and used regular dyno oil.

Here's the air cleaner and spark plugs. I'm really surprised the plugs needed to be replaced at 7.5k miles. The plugs I removed look like they had twice that. The air cleaner was definitely dirty.
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Close up of the spark plugs.

Both front and rear OEM brake pads were ok. Looks like they had about 30% life remaining. The inside pads for both F&R pads were worse than the outer pads. I replaced both ends. The brake pad pins where pretty dry and dirty so I had to clean and put a slight bit of lube on them.

I plan to do the valve inspection at 20k miles (in between the US and Rest Of The World recommended interval). Bike is running fantastic; smooth, responsive, starts quickly, idles smoothly, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

After the service I rode it 75 miles. Couldn't really tell the difference until I went WOT. Damn! I felt like it was pulling harder above 7k RPM! Could just be my imagination but it just started stretching my arms as I held on! LOL! I guess the bike is happy it's breathing better, running with fresh coolant and oil.

The Vesrah sintered metal pads....damn! They were beginning to bed it better after about 60 miles of stop and go riding. Suckers are strong! Thanks for the recommendation RC!
Schalicke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-02-2019, 06:35 AM

The Vesrah pads are pricey but worth every penny.

I have 30,000 miles and will be getting the first valve inspection done very soon. None of my other bikes needed any adjustment at the 15,000 mile mark so I skipped it on this one. Will share results.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2015 30th Anniversary ZX6R.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Oc , I think we forget just what we are trying to accomplish when we complete these 7500, 15,000 service milestones.

Hopefully, the coolant comes out clean, the plugs look good, and the brake fluid looks nice. The abs pump is a 1200 part. Hopefully, we change all the pieces we are supposed to change, before there is a significant performance drop from any of them.
The only other option is to wait until it's too late. Not good when "too late" includes spark plugs or brake fluid. .

Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 AM

I think I should drag my bike into your SanClemente beach house next time it has the service due. I'm old. senile and tried.

Dont forget to have Ivan flash your 2012. His flashed 2011-2013 engine is one of the nicest engines you will ever run across.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

RC bring it in. LOL! This bike is one of the easier bikes to service when compared to my Hondaís. Thank you Kawasaki.

In my personal experience, fluids are #1 in importance and the air/filters a VERY close second. But I also found that, like you mentioned before, cleaning the brakes, makes them feel really nice again. Iíll bet doing just these basic things regularly will help the bike achieve reliability and longevity most people donít realize is possible.

Like you, Iíve personally seen and experienced more engines get ruined after valve inspection done wrong than anything. Not by my hand. Checking them is not hard and can be satisfying. Adjusting them is VERY stressful when working with tiny little shims & camshafts removed. Iíve done it. I donít like doing it. Iíd rather not adjust. Iíve known quite a few VFR owners with 100k miles on their bikes...still running reliably...with no valve inspections! Go figure. Iíll inspect mine at 20k and/or before 24k just to put my mind at ease.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM

You said, "I’ll bet doing just these basic things regularly will help the bike achieve reliability and longevity most people don’t realize is possible."

I agree, and I always concentrate on the linkages. Grips, too. Thats pretty hard to deal with if you want heated grips. The aftermarket heated grips look silly, and the original oens are too expensive. Clutch and brake levers, throttle tube, and shift linkage. The beariged shift kit from Murphs, is 28.00 or such and makes shifting more positive.
You just tell him its for the ninja 1000, and he will hook you up.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_i...roducts_id=463

I always hated wobbly throttle tubes. Its seriously easy, and cheap to fix them. Sure, you can get the 80.00 aluminum tube, but for maybe 2.00 you can get a small sample of the 3m paint protection tape. Cut a 1/2 x 3 inch section and wrap the bar, under the throttle tube add or remove material until its a perfect fit. Like this.....and, if you get a shitload of it, its awesoem for paint protection, and a 3 yr old can install it.

The 2017 clutch perch,and lever is a serious upgrade.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-04-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

I plan on upgrading the headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra for $45 for some improved lighting before winter returns and Iím riding at night during my commute.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
I plan on upgrading the headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra for $45 for some improved lighting before winter returns and Iím riding at night during my commute.
Any experience with this bulbs at all? I'm also interested in getting some brighter halogen bulbs but you never know what's actually brighter vs the 200% improvement BS manufacturers state on their packaging
post #9 of 13 Old 06-05-2019, 01:38 AM

Garage
I installed the silver stars and it helped a little but nothing worth writing about. (Your eyes may be better at the reception of the color they produce though) I then tried a fairly good set of LEDs that had a surprisingly good beam pattern that produced a noticeable improvement in brightness for me, especially up close but down the road where I really wanted it not so much. I then decided it was time to quit wasting money and do a projector installation. Worth every penny and wish I'd not waited.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Iíve used the Silverstar Ultras on my VFR800, low and bright beams (it had four headlights). It helped. A bit whiter light gave me more color definition of whatís ahead. It also shined light a bit further down the road. Iíd say about 20%-30% better. Finally, it did give the headlights a whiter look with a blue center so it looked cool. For $50 it wasnít a bad investment. I had it on for about 3 years with no failures, and the bike had them until I traded the bike in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in