Mounting MC tires 101, align the valve stem marks. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So Saturday I mounted a new rear AGT, had a problem though, it wanted 3 1/2 oz. to balance. Yea that shit wasn't going to fly so I took rim and tire in and they spun it at 3 1/4 oz. Then the tire guy came out and asked why didnt I align the valve stem marks? I said In my best Gary Coleman voice "what you talking about". So there were two dots on the side wall. He explained that the factory spins every tire as part of their quality control and all the major manufacturers mark them to help it balance out better. When they were done my 3 1/4 oz job took 3/4 oz. Learn something every day.
RobF likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-16-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
So Saturday I mounted a new rear AGT, had a problem though, it wanted 3 1/2 oz. to balance. Yea that shit wasn't going to fly so I took rim and tire in and they spun it at 3 1/4 oz. Then the tire guy came out and asked why didnt I align the valve stem marks? I said In my best Gary Coleman voice "what you talking about". So there were two dots on the side wall. He explained that the factory spins every tire as part of their quality control and all the major manufacturers mark them to help it balance out better. When they were done my 3 1/4 oz job took 3/4 oz. Learn something every day.
Thanks for sharing thats a new one for me ill have to look for the marks.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #3 of 14 Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 PM

yea, what he said.............thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 AM

Just as you get used to looking for those marks, they will stop showing up. The last two sets of Michelins I bought had no markings at all. Sure enough, a balanced rim stayed balanced, so no complaints, but it was strange..

2012 Ninja 1000
post #5 of 14 Old 12-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Avintage, you know what else was interesting ? Assuming the valve stem was the heavy part of the rim.

On my front rim it was. Or it was close enough to not matter. On the rear it wasn't. If you are doing this yourself, its fun to play around with. Between my tire and rim it was not off enough to even matter.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #6 of 14 Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My bare rim is heavy 3 inches from the valve stem, and they shifted the Mark's in that direction. Only a 1/4" maybe... and not sure that dismal amount helped but it shows they were trying for perfection.
The service writer told me that they try and track what tires take no weight. Said Avon on Harley's had the lead from what he had seen.
FYI it was a Honda dealer.

Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Your rear rim and mine are very similar, if not identical. They did a good job if they noticed the rim balancing the way it did.

Whatever they charged you, it was probably worth it.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #8 of 14 Old 12-18-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Money well spent @rcannon409. I look at it as I not only paid 37.00 to have the tire removed, bare rim spun and Re-mounted properly and rebalanced, but also a lesson on why there were dots on my side wall.
Makes me wonder what else I dont know so... Hell I'll go ahead ask now. What did the yellow strip slightly off center on the tread of the AGT mean? Think it was on the right hand side but not 100%.

post #9 of 14 Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 AM

I always thought the rest of the markings were like barcodes....that sure fits, does'nt it?

Ive found tires to be so good, balancing is really optional. Once you get down to the 1/2oz mark, its impossible to feel any balance issues and truthfully, thats probably closer to 1 oz.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #10 of 14 Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
Money well spent @rcannon409.
Makes me wonder what else I dont know so... Hell I'll go ahead ask now. What did the yellow strip slightly off center on the tread of the AGT mean? Think it was on the right hand side but not 100%.
The coloured stripes on tyre tread are used by the manufacturer to ascertain which tyre size the tread is meant for... the colour will/should be different for a rear of size 190/55/17 vs a, say, 180/60/17. For a given size, a continuous slab of tread rubber compound is produced that's the appropriate width and thickness for the tire size being manufactured. The slab of tread rubber compound is subsequently cut to the length needed to go exactly one revolution around the tire's circumference. The coloured stripes indicate for which tyre size a particular slab of tread has been produced.
rcannon409 likes this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page