Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Mounting MC tires 101, align the valve stem marks.

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Bikram 
#1 ·
So Saturday I mounted a new rear AGT, had a problem though, it wanted 3 1/2 oz. to balance. Yea that **** wasn't going to fly so I took rim and tire in and they spun it at 3 1/4 oz. Then the tire guy came out and asked why didnt I align the valve stem marks? I said In my best Gary Coleman voice "what you talking about". So there were two dots on the side wall. He explained that the factory spins every tire as part of their quality control and all the major manufacturers mark them to help it balance out better. When they were done my 3 1/4 oz job took 3/4 oz. Learn something every day.

Reactions: RobF
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing thats a new one for me ill have to look for the marks.

#4 ·
Just as you get used to looking for those marks, they will stop showing up. The last two sets of Michelins I bought had no markings at all. Sure enough, a balanced rim stayed balanced, so no complaints, but it was strange..

#5 ·
Avintage, you know what else was interesting ? Assuming the valve stem was the heavy part of the rim.

On my front rim it was. Or it was close enough to not matter. On the rear it wasn't. If you are doing this yourself, its fun to play around with. Between my tire and rim it was not off enough to even matter.

#6 ·
My bare rim is heavy 3 inches from the valve stem, and they shifted the Mark's in that direction. Only a 1/4" maybe... and not sure that dismal amount helped but it shows they were trying for perfection.
The service writer told me that they try and track what tires take no weight. Said Avon on Harley's had the lead from what he had seen.
FYI it was a Honda dealer.

#7 ·
Your rear rim and mine are very similar, if not identical. They did a good job if they noticed the rim balancing the way it did.

Whatever they charged you, it was probably worth it.

#8 ·
Money well spent @rcannon409. I look at it as I not only paid 37.00 to have the tire removed, bare rim spun and Re-mounted properly and rebalanced, but also a lesson on why there were dots on my side wall.
Makes me wonder what else I dont know so... Hell I'll go ahead ask now. What did the yellow strip slightly off center on the tread of the AGT mean? Think it was on the right hand side but not 100%.

#10 ·
Money well spent @rcannon409.
Makes me wonder what else I dont know so... Hell I'll go ahead ask now. What did the yellow strip slightly off center on the tread of the AGT mean? Think it was on the right hand side but not 100%.
The coloured stripes on tyre tread are used by the manufacturer to ascertain which tyre size the tread is meant for... the colour will/should be different for a rear of size 190/55/17 vs a, say, 180/60/17. For a given size, a continuous slab of tread rubber compound is produced that's the appropriate width and thickness for the tire size being manufactured. The slab of tread rubber compound is subsequently cut to the length needed to go exactly one revolution around the tire's circumference. The coloured stripes indicate for which tyre size a particular slab of tread has been produced.

Reactions: rcannon409
#9 ·
I always thought the rest of the markings were like barcodes....that sure fits, does'nt it?

Ive found tires to be so good, balancing is really optional. Once you get down to the 1/2oz mark, its impossible to feel any balance issues and truthfully, thats probably closer to 1 oz.

#13 ·
I think Bikram must be the rubber king of India? I picture him in his palace, surrounded by race tires. For me, posts like his make the forums worth reading. There is so much information. A lot of it is half truth, wrong, or dangerous. Repeated by well meaning people who don't know any better. The magazines really are not any better. They all got so scared, they have mostly stopped offering information.

Online, there is the strange question and it's followed up by an answer that just nails it, written by someone who knows. That makes it worth reading through the nonsense. Thanks Bikram.

#14 ·
RC, I have learned so much on this forum, using that information to make my Ninja the kind of motorcycle I always wanted it to be. A lot of it from your posts. To be able to give it back to the forum is an honour.

Thank you for the kind words. And thank you, Avintage, for asking an interesting question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.