Strong Gas Smell with Full System Exhaust - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Angelo, the block off plates helped? That surprises me. Better enough that you noticed it.....Great sentence, by me. My 3rd grade education comes in handy....

It makes sense, though. All those parts do end up connecting to the fuel system, more or less. At least the vapor system.

I wonder if Jessec63 has a California bike? I know, out went, thats pretty much all we see is bikes with Cal emissions. Im not sure if that extends back to where he is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 08-22-2018, 07:56 PM

I would get on a dyno and try to get some afr readings.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-22-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Angelo, the block off plates helped? That surprises me. Better enough that you noticed it.....Great sentence, by me. My 3rd grade education comes in handy....

It makes sense, though. All those parts do end up connecting to the fuel system, more or less. At least the vapor system.

I wonder if Jessec63 has a California bike? I know, out went, thats pretty much all we see is bikes with Cal emissions. Im not sure if that extends back to where he is?
Oh yeah. It helped a lot for me. Before I did the block-off plates, My etes would get watery then I am stopped or in traffic because of the richness of the exhaust fume. Especially if I had ethanol free fuel in. There are times when ethanol free is not an option, so it is less irritating fumes.

But when I put block off plates (It is a pain! Had I known, I would have just plugged it manually), the smell of unburned gas and fumes improved significantly. Plus no popping on decelaration. I know some people think it backfire is cool (this ain't a Harley Davidson - lol), but it is the sound of an untuned a/f to me and it is annoying.
rcannon409 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 Old 08-23-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the input everyone. I did use new gaskets when installing the exhaust. I have not checked the tank overfill, im sure i have tried to squeeze in some extra gas once or twice

I would really like to get rid of the pop on decel, and if it gets rid of my fume issue... that would be a win win. Anyone have a guide on installing block of plate, or just plugging the hole themselves?
post #15 of 22 Old 08-23-2018, 08:43 PM

You can plug that hole, right in the bottom of your airbox.

With what you have going on, it would probably be best to at least put hands on all those components, and see what you find.

There are a lot of YouTube videos. The good part is those systems are very similar between all motorcycles. Even a guide for a ninja 650 helps. Also, the z 1000 is the same frame and engine, so a guide for that works real y well.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 AM

If you did not remove the PAIR valve system and install the block off plates it likely the source of the popping on decel.

The easy fix is to lift the fuel tank and find the hose from the pair valve that plugs into the bottom of the air box. It will be located at the right rear corner on the bottom of the air box. Unplug that hose and put something in the end that seals it off. I have heard of some using a screw large enough to fit into the end of the hose, or even a marble of the right size. You may also want to find something to cap off the location in the bottom of the airbox where the hose was connected.

If this stops the popping you can leave it as is and it will do no harm.

Personally I prefer removal of the PAIR and installation block off plates, which is a bit of a pain in the butt to do. If you have Ivans most recent reflash you should not get a warning light from removing the PAIR. Otherwise you will need to do a jumper wire in the PAIR connector once removed.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Last edited by Johnmark101; 08-24-2018 at 08:24 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-24-2018, 09:17 AM

rcannon - do you have the link to the YouTube video. For some reason I was not able to find it.

Thx...

Urban Brawlers, Puig Windshield, Kawasaki Sliders (17-18 design), RAM center cell phone mount, Reflective rim tape (add to safety), Motodynamic integrated tail light, Motodynamic fender eliminator, KQR saddlebags (purchased later), USB voltage readout USB, Sargent seat, Ivan's ECU Flash, K&N, Angel GT's (55 rear)
post #18 of 22 Old 08-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_1000 View Post
rcannon - do you have the link to the YouTube video. For some reason I was not able to find it.

Thx...
Just search pair valve block. The easiest method is to shove a marble in the tube from the intake box to the pair valve. You can also find an appropriate size bolt and lather some silicone on it and shove it into the port from inside the airbox. It makes a pretty big difference In killing off the crackle and popping.
Ninja_1000 likes this.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-24-2018, 10:25 AM

I like this guys videos. Obviously, hen not talking about our specific bike, but the idea is the same.

This guy shows how to block it. On your bike, Im not sure I would do this, right now, until you can prove theres no gasoline trapped in the system. Its not in our language, but the video helps.

Ninja_1000 likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-25-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I like this guys videos. Obviously, hen not talking about our specific bike, but the idea is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqSvXDb8GA

This guy shows how to block it. On your bike, Im not sure I would do this, right now, until you can prove theres no gasoline trapped in the system. Its not in our language, but the video helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp1t7nFUhNc
That seat cover in the second video... ah, that seat cover...
rcannon409 likes this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page