OEM pad wear - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 06-03-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

OEM pad wear

Just curious what kind of mileage folks are getting on the OEM disc pads, front ,,,,,&,,,,back,,. I just changed the backs out at 13,000 Miles yesterday, fronts are fine,. Does that sound about right!!

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-03-2018, 02:30 PM

That sounds pretty good. Plus, pad wear is a little strange since you only start with about 4mm of pad material, right from the start.

If you add in the thickness of the backing plate, and it's closer to 10mm....but the pad material is just 4.

The minimum thickness is 1mm, so it's entire service life is about 3mm of useful lifespan.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #3 of 45 Old 06-03-2018, 05:20 PM

On my 2015 I replaced front & rear OEM pads @ 18,700 Miles with Vesrah's as Recommended by @rcannon409. The Vesrah's now have 20,000 and the fronts still look good, but the rear will need to be changed soon. The rear actually gets used some now with the Vesrah rear being so good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 06-03-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Ill look into Vesrah's when the fronts need doing,,. Were your fronts done at 18,700?

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
S21's with the 55 rear
post #5 of 45 Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 PM

The rear Vesrah pads are only 35.00....for that cost, dont even bother wearing the stock rears out.

Like Holoquest said, it makes the rear brakes work and you can feel what they are doing. It's a shocking difference.
Darthanubis likes this.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #6 of 45 Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 PM

Garage
If you enjoy having brakes that you can feel what their doing, know you have plenty left and are a big.... no huge improvement over stock. Spend 120 over the next month and you'll think you spent a grand... and in this case sooner is better. Bang for the buck if you like it sporty one of the best mods.
Darthanubis likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #7 of 45 Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 AM

The ninja rear brake always freaked me out. It's huge. 250mm and most sportbikes use 220mm. We use the same rear rotor as a zx14, for crying out loud.

The stronger pads are actually more safe. I know people worry about locking the rear, but with good pads, there is so much more feel, you can more accurately judge when this will happen.
Avintage69 and Darthanubis like this.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #8 of 45 Old 07-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Hi RC,,,, If you see this and get a chance to comment I would appreciate it,.
I'm not quite out of pads yet but I was thinking of sourcing this Vesrah pads that you spoke so highly of, do you have an idea wheres the place to order them,.
&
How are they for durability when compared to the OEMs,,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
The rear Vesrah pads are only 35.00....for that cost, dont even bother wearing the stock rears out.

Like Holoquest said, it makes the rear brakes work and you can feel what they are doing. It's a shocking difference.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
S21's with the 55 rear
post #9 of 45 Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Hey @Lag 4 I'll chime in.

I'm just now ordering my second set of Vesrah's

I got 18,700 Miles on my stock pads.

I now have 21,500 on my Vesrah's and need to change the rears soon, the front still has some life left! By the way, my rotors look GREAT with near 41,000 miles on my bike.

I'm using the VD-355JL Front & VD-434JL Rears and Amazon and eBay both have them.

Can't go wrong, I love em too!
Lag 4 likes this.
post #10 of 45 Old 07-26-2018, 08:19 PM

I agree with Holoquest. Durability is decent.

I can't say, for sure. The pads cost, what, 125.00 for front? 35.00 for rear..? So, oit back I will save 10.00 trying to get that last few thousand miles ...a litle more, out front, but not even close to a tires price.

Much like tires, these fit into that "safety" category. I've never ran a safety item untilmot was actually worn out. At 2mm, they go into the trash.

I'm not sure you will match the durability of stock pads. The stock pads are really hard and are made to get a bike through an extended warranty, and hopefully stop the bike. They don't want customers in there hitching about pad wear. So, they probably will outlive a performance pad, but it's not really something to be proud of.

So, even of you don't buy the front Vesrah, for sure buy the rear. You will shit when you push the rear brake,and feel it working.

Once you try them, I don't think you will care if they might not last as long, although Holoquest sort of shot that idea in the ass.,,,that's great mieliage.
Lag 4 likes this.

2012 Ninja 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page