• 1 Post By DeV
  • 3 Post By rcannon409
  • 4 Post By rcannon409
  • 1 Post By omniron

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Thumbs down The Chain Debacle (RANT WARNING)

So, I asked you guys recently about chain stuff, and here's the result:

I called up a local motorcycle dealer, and asked if they had a chain for my N1K. They said yup, come on down, $140ish. Okay, I thought, nice chains can easily cost that, it's probably a good one.

Got there, they already had it cut for me (yay) and when I asked if it came with a clip-style link, they told me yep, it comes with both clip and rivet style. Cool. Oh, $85? That's cheap for the chain, is it a good one? Bike Master you say? Never heard of them but I'll take your word for it.

Got home, open box, realize they ONLY gave me a rivet-style master link, which I don't have the tool for. Not a huge deal, someone probably just left it out of the box when they took the chain out to cut to size. I call them back, and see if I can get a clip master link since they told me it came with one. Yep, no problem, swing on by.

Stop by, grab the link from them, all is well. Head home, forget about it for a few busy days.

Finally sit down to change the chain now that I have a clip link. Cut the chain off, put new chain on, clip style link seems not to want to go in. Extra lube. Yup, it's not going in there. Look at bag the link came in, it's a freaking D.I.D. clip link. They gave me the wrong brand.

OK, so now I'm getting a little frustrated, especially now that I have destroyed my old chain and my bike is now un-rideable until the chain is replaced. I call the dealer back and say hey guys, this is getting a little frustrating. The guy I talked to was completely indifferent. He said I'd have to talk to their other location because this one was closing in 2 days. He transfers me over there, where I sit on hold for 10 minutes, then the phone is answered by someone in shipping and receiving, who says that they're really busy and someone will have to call me back. I tell him that I'd like a call back from their parts manager ASAP.

An hour later, their manager actually calls me. She is very apologetic, and wants to sort this out. While we talk, I also mention the chain they sold me is clearly marked as up to 750cc (BMOR O-ring chain) and that I have a 1,045cc engine. She says it's weird they didn't say something about clip vs. rivet style links and that I really should use the rivet style link for a larger/torquier engine, as I sort of suspected. She said they'd gladly exchange the chain for a new, D.I.D. chain with a rivet master link and give me a hefty discount on the price difference, as well as a discounted rivet tool. I mention I'm not keen on driving to their main location (opposite side of the metro area, which is almost 2 hours of drive time during the week) especially after having gone to their closer location several times.

She offered to bring me the new parts and pick up the (wrong) chain and link I'd purchased before, since she lives near where I do. I accepted, and we met up last night to do the exchange. She said it doesn't have the rivet link but she will call me today and then mail it to me ASAP.

So, I finally have the right CHAIN and am still waiting on the right LINK. She handled things well, but everyone else involved was abysmal.

It's really frustrating to have to go through this kind of thing for parts. Clearly the lesson here is that I should have just bought the parts online. Maybe this is why dealerships are closing, and stores are dying left and right. When consumers have a crappy experience like this, are they going to walk into a store and pay the up-charge on in-stock parts, especially when being treated this way? No. They're just going to buy their parts on Amazon, and have them in 2 days.

After working years in customer service and similar positions, it just drives me nuts that these places have such abysmal service. How do they expect to stay in business? I would never treat a customer (even a dickish one!) this way on the phone. You just can't. Especially when it's obviously your company's fault in some capacity. All it takes is a handful of shitty experiences like this to ruin you as a company. This location closed, and now the only other motorcycle dealership that isn't a small shop is further away, and I have heard horror stories about them from a co-worker (brought in on warranty work, they broke his gauge cluster, tried to blame on him, didn't get it replaced properly; called by owner saying they can't keep techs in their shop because they are shitty people, like taking selfies on customers' bikes, etc.) so I'm not touching them with a 40' pole. So, that means the one across the metro is one of my couple of options, and I'll likely never go there because it's too **** far.

I do like working on my own cars and bikes, but sometimes, it's just nice to go to a shop and get something done, right, the first time, by an expert (which I don't claim to be). I'll probably put my chain on tonight, after my bike being out of commission for 2 weeks (2 of the most gorgeous weeks of the year for riding).

------------------------------------------------

On a lighter note, I have been riding my old SV (now my GF's bike) the last couple of days to work and I've got to admit, I really miss the old gal sometimes. I would really like to buy a naked SV650 for my around-towner. Such a great little machine. Well, it's time to get back to work. Lessons learned are: buy the right part the first time online, unless you absolutely don't trust yourself to get/install the right part, and it's probably worth the expense to just get the chain tool and be done with it.

AlsoIwantanFZ10reallybadbutIcan'taffordonerightnow soI'lljustsitonthemintheshowroomandleavelittledroo lstains.
novaks47 likes this.

From the point of ignition to the final drive
The point of the journey is not to arrive
-----------------------------------------------
Please excuse my verbosity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
@DeV
I just accidentally edited your message instead of replying, since the button is in the spot where your reply was.

She wasn't my type anyway.

I have tried SO HARD to be wary of the edit button, since I saw someone else do this accidentally at some point, but I did it anyway. Sorry!

post #3 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM
DeV

Garage
I worked hard on that too.....taking bits and pieces and splicing together.....and you ruined it! I was going to start selling it in the steamy novels section...
adm2204 likes this.

2016 N1K - Spark Black, Metallic Gray

Taylor33 Reflective Rim Tape, Urban Brawlers, Gear Indicator, Shogun Frame Sliders, Passenger Grip, Two-Tone levers, Mo-Door Opener, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, anodized green bolts, Mini Spools, Sargent & Kawasaki Gel Seats, XKGlow LED kit w/smartbrake, optiMATE phone charger, 2-Way Alarm, XK Glow LED headlights, N1K & DeV Inner Rim Stickers, HVMP ex heavy bar ends, RAM mount X grip, Kawi seat bag, Ivan's Flash, BMC air filter, LED signals and relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dang, so much work lost, it was all for naught. :'(

post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 05:32 PM

I'm with you. When I order from one of the big places, Rocky Mountain atv is who I like, the stuff is always fresh, and the package has never been messed with.

I don't even bother to check with the local dealers. As far as pricing and volume goes, Rocky Mountain has a store, and they buy from distributors. The local dealer had the option of building this business, just like rm did. They chose,instead, to sell at full retail, and have les volume..,their choice.

Rocky Mountain also has a motorcycle shop, and it's a good one.

That argument of how we should support that local dealer just does not work for me. If I got some special, magical treatment, maybe, but online works far better, for me.
omniron, novaks47 and adm2204 like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2017, 08:36 PM

I don't even know if rocky Mountain is the lowest price. The kawasaki parts, at times, are more due to having to pay a shipping charge.

Still, it avoids two trips. Local shop won't take orders over the phone. Even with a credit card. 7.99 to avoid two trips, across town, is a bargain.

Also, the person who takes orders often times knows motorcyckes. They would not have let that chain thing happen.

They, or their computer, know enough to ask, "what size, what model, etc." That could have been dangerous. If you want a 190/55, you have to request it. Their system knows your tire should have been a 190/50.

Plus, anymore, you can't even use the excuse of dropping in to see the new bikes. The showroom is filed with 2015, 2016, and a very few 2017's marked at full price.

For me, that was half the fun of buying something. Seeing the new bikes. Fuck them, I'll order my chain lube and enjoy my new ability to use bad words here.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I'm with you. When I order from one of the big places, Rocky Mountain atv is who I like, the stuff is always fresh, and the package has never been messed with.

I don't even bother to check with the local dealers. As far as pricing and volume goes, Rocky Mountain has a store, and they buy from distributors. The local dealer had the option of building this business, just like rm did. They chose,instead, to sell at full retail, and have les volume..,their choice.

Rocky Mountain also has a motorcycle shop, and it's a good one.

That argument of how we should support that local dealer just does not work for me. If I got some special, magical treatment, maybe, but online works far better, for me.
I agree, mostly. In St. George, the local Kawasaki dealer did a very good job building their business over the years with fair prices and good service. It was a family business, with the owner as the head mechanic (is that the correct title?). His sons ran the front end. He preferred to work on the bikes and did/does and excellent job. I even took my Honda motorcycle to them for service until I sold it to buy a 2015 N1K.

Then Rocky Mountain bought the business. At first, I had concerns -- you know, whenever an outside big company buys a small one and things change? But RM kept the same people running the business, including the original owner as the head mechanic in the back. Then they built a new store with a service area to die for. Well things did change ...definitely for the better. I couldn't be happier with this local dealer.

I've never ordered from RM online because the local store has the same prices ...and I always stop to look at the new bikes when I visit. Damn, that 2017 N1K keeps looking better and better. But maybe I'll wait for the 2018 now. My 2015, now with just under 40K miles, is running like new after the last service. I just paid it off, too.
rcannon409 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page