Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Hat’s of to Sargent Cycle products.

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  jbinderxxx 
#1 ·
I bought my 2016 ninja zx 1000 last summer. Let me also mention that I have owned 4 Harley Davidson . 2 sportster’s that I sold and a 92 fxr and a 2012 wide glide that are in my garage as we speak. I was on the highway last spring on my wide glide which is at 102hp 112 Torks stage 3. I was doing 85 in the left hand lane passing cars but keeping an eye in my rear view because sometimes that’s not fast enough in ct. all was clear so I thought when I heard this scream of a jap bike , he split the lane right next to me nailed it and was gone. He treed and startled the $hit out of me lol! I could almost feel the laughter. I went to work the next day and told a fellow mason I work with I am buying a rice rocket. I always liked ninjas and the touring sport description of the ninja 1000 abs caught my attention. I looked at a new 2018 at a local dealer. The bike was last in a row of bikes so I could only mount from the high side and of course I kicked the passenger seat climbing aboard. Once on the bike felt really good. I figured before I went all out I would take a look at used. I was surprised that there was not many ninja 1000’s around. A couple weeks later on Craig’s list a 2016 that was bought the year before as a leftover. 1800 miles like new. He wanted 7800. He just bought a jet ski and did not want 2 toys. I figured if I am going to pay that much I mise well buy the 2018. I offered 6500 he said no. A couple weeks and a couple text’s later he let me have it for 6700. 2 towns away done deal. The short test ride it felt great. When I drove it home I felt probably felt like girls do when there thong travel’s were the sun never shines. The seat was brutal. I then bought the air hawk. The air hawk made an improvement but the over all results were not for me. I said to my wife if the Sargent seat does not cut it I am selling. Long story longer I recived my Sargent seat with the 1 inch of foam mode. They messed up my order by not covering with dtx. I put the seat on went for a 2 hour ride and all I can say is problem solved. A couple hours again yesterday and I am sure this bike is not going anywhere.as far as the dtx I wear jeans when I ride and the carbon fx is perfect for me. I called Sargent and talked to bob . He was going to send me a return slip and with his apologies fix the mistake and get the seat right back . I said this seat is not going anywhere. I told him to send me the rear cover no charge and we are good. He no problem. I know that the cover is not that expensive but I am good! I have my v stream windshield coming today. Next is ivan’s Flash then bags . Loven this bike. Oh went out ride shortly after I bought the bike last year, it had rained the night before so I was doing the speed limit. I then hear a Harley bagger trying to pass on the right (swear to god lol) nailed it story over!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ozzy, the dtx is nice, but not a deal breaker. I've got to send mine back and see about adding the extra foam. I bought those chinese rearsets. I had to do a lot of the detail work, myself. I had to find bolts as well as build a stronger shift linkage.

After I did that, they are awesome and it dropped my foot position enough to be comfortable. The taller seat would be a good way to finish this off.

#3 ·
good to know about the rearsets as another option. With the Murphy’s risers, the Sargent seat and grip puppies ( yes I know the slang for the puppies lol!) looking forward to a lot of comfort and fun. Thanks for the info on the rearsets. I am gonna look into that.

#4 ·
If you go with rearsets, let me know. I'll show you which ones I bought.

They are only 140.00 and I know what it took to make them strong and reliable. I can help with the parts that needed to be upgraded. All in, figure 160-175.00 .

#6 ·
Those rearsets have been one of the most surprising products I ever bought. The quality level is way higher than their price point. Its these.They dont send hardware. I suspect the z1000 hardware would transfer over. Ours wont because we have the rubber mounted rearsets. Even the anodizing looks good, and appears to be durable. They also did a great job on the rear brake light. No need for a pressure switch.

The shift rod they send is garbage. They tried to make one out of aluminum. That works, but they tried to cut the threaded sections into the aluminum, and it's way too weak.

Someone else, on ebay, makes the perfect shift rod from stainless steel. Its 10 or 12 bucks, no big deal. Once you buy that, its all good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rider-Rear...a=1&pg=2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

#7 ·
FWIW, I rode on the new-to-me Sargent seat today, and wow! What a difference. It is definitely more comfortable, which was immediately apparent even in a relatively short 26 mile commute. What's more, I used to feel the dreaded inline4 buzz through the seat starting at around 4-5k RPM. With the Sargent seat, it is largely buzz free until past 7k PRM.

The only thing I didn't like was the CarbonFX seat insert. With me wearing my Olympia mesh pants, it was slicker than wet snot. If I were wearing leathers or other grippier fabric materials, it might not as bad, but this being Houston, mesh is likely what I'd be rocking most often. The DTX/grip zone combo would work better for me, I reckon. Oh well.

Reactions: trialsguy
#9 ·
Yes, looked it up on their website. It's not that expensive to recover, but it basically negates the cost savings of getting it new-to-me instead of ordering a custom seat.

I rode all day today with a pair of hybrid pants with leather "bottom", and it is a perfect fit for the Carbon FX. Just the right amount of grip. I had no problem transitioning side to side, without having to lift my weight off the seat, but it otherwise holds me in position quite well. I think I'm gonna sit on this one for a bit - pun intended - before deciding.

#10 ·
When I bought my Ninja 1000 back in 2012 I actually bought a Sargent seat for the bike before I even bought the bike. The seat was sitting in the garage when I got home from the dealer with the bike.

I’ve lost track how many Sargent seats I’ve had. Two of my bikes have them now. They sent me the wrong seat when I got my Concours 14. I wanted a low seat and they sent me a high one. I called them and they told me to hang on to the one I got and they would send me a low one. They told me to ride them both for a week or two then send the one I don’t like back. Incredible customer satisfaction!

Reactions: kenors
#14 · (Edited)
[/QUOT just tell them when ordering that you want 1 inch of foam added with the elimination of all forward slope with the DTX. That’s about 100$ extra if I remember right. They will know what you are requesting.[/QUOTE]

Oz,

Nice pics! So, does this new seat shape still allow you to shift your sitting position forward when you want to? Or are you "locked in" to sitting in one spot, in the back area of the seat?

In other words, is it comfortable to sit on the the front half of the new seat? I'd like to be able to shift my position on the seat forward or back a couple of inches every once in a while, on long rides.

Thanks.

-Dave

#16 ·
Got it. Thanks!

My riding "over pants" are nylon, so, I know that they slide way too much with their standard seat covering.

Since its 40 degrees here, I'm thinking that I'll likely order at the end of this month, so I can have the seat when the weather, hopfully, warms up in May.

#19 ·
Can't believe our seats are wearing so differently. I wonder if it's heat or what we wear or different materials from different years. You're right, your Connie seat is seriously worn.

#20 ·
Seriously, I dont care...its a good seat, and its comfortable......I do wish the cover looked better, but I'll live with it before ill use the stock seat.

#21 ·
So, it's been a month since I complained ed about my seat cover wear. Just after posting this, I realized the cover looked bad. Nothing could make it look any worse....

I decided to fix it. I tried a heat gun. Sometimes that can make vinyl look new. Nothing.

As a last resort, I tried something strange. Years ago, they sold a product to restore motorcycle plastic. I thi k it was called, "Plastic Restore". Clever.

Anyway, I bought the stuff. It worked. All my plastic looked brand new. Good product, but expensive. I finally realized all the product was is re-bottled mop-n-glow floor polish.

So, with that said, heres the seat cover after a months use after I used the mop-n-glow flow cleaner. It's as good as new. A small blotch shows up, under a flash, but you cant see it in real life.

Reactions: Riv and kenors
#22 ·
After reading many posts is the 1 inch extra foam needed in the seat? I called Sargent and was told people add the 1 inch only if they want to sit higher and does not increase seat plushness?

So I am not sure if I should order the seat with 1 inch extra foam.

Thanks Jed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.