Is there a rubber damped 16 tooth front sprocket for a 2014? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Is there a rubber damped 16 tooth front sprocket for a 2014?

I have been doing a lot of searching and I want to replace my chain and sprockets over the winter. I would like to use a rubber damped 16 tooth front on my 14 abs Ninja 1000 but I am having no luck fininding a sprocket for my model year?

Would anyone have any guidance or a link to a sprocket that would work? JT or OEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Forget it...I found it on Sprocket Center....had to click on the pic of the undamped sprocket and it was an option in there, lol
post #3 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 12:05 PM

I just got a set of JT sprockets for my 2012. Do I need to have a rubber damped front sprocket? I don't think the JT Kit from Sprocket Center is rubber damped.

I didn't go with OEM because it was convenient to get the set from Sprocket Center and they also shipped faster. My OEM chain is toast at 20k miles. It keeps stretching every 150 miles or so and just keeps turning red like rust even with judicious cleaning and lubing every 150 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM

Does anyone really notice a difference with the rubber damped ? If anything, they cause more problems than not until they break in........
post #5 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Does anyone really notice a difference with the rubber damped ? If anything, they cause more problems than not until they break in........
They come from the factory with the rubber.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #6 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
My understanding is that the rubber damped countershaft sprockets helps eliminate chain whine.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Has anyone noticed increased chain noise with aftermarket primary sprocket that doesn't have the rubber damper on their N1k?
post #8 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 05:45 PM

I've gone back and forth a few times. Usually what is noticed is how much quieter the new sprocket/chain is vs the old chain/sprocket that came off. How much of the difference is old worn parts vs new parts and how much is rubberized vs plain sprocket I'm not sure. My original 2011 Ninja OEM chain had a dry raspy whine with the first 5k miles and only lasted 15k miles or so. My 2014 Ninja OEM chain lasted 25k miles and didn't whine much at all. I do wear earplugs all the time on the bike and chain whine is something I seldom notice unless it's bad. If there is a difference between rubberized vs plain sprocket noise, it's pretty subtle on our noisy engined Ninjas. Never heard of break-in problems for a rubberized sprocket.

I've kinda become a DID ZVMX fan as that's all I've used for the last 10 years or so. Getting the gold one keeps the PNW rust away...

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Last edited by kenors; 11-01-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Thank Kenors.

My '12 chain is a lost cause. I can't keep the slack to last longer than 100 miles and it just keeps changing to a red color. 20k miles on it. I get the impression it's a cheaply made OEM chain. The sprockets look fine though. Go figure.

Nevertheless I already got the replacement. I went with the gold DID VX 525 chain....not the more expensive, heavier duty, longer life ZVMX chain.

https://sprocketcenter.com/street-sp...000-11-16.html
post #10 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 09:12 PM

With any chain, it worth going to their site and checking on the specific chain you are looking at. Many of them are 525 size, and that all look similar, some have cool colors, but a 100.00 dollar 525 chain is usually not not rated for a 1000cc machine. Their rating is telling you its only strong enough for a 600... 750...900, or such.

Seriously, an oem front sprocket (40.00)...The chain Kenors mentioned (150.00) and a good rear sprocket is maybe (60.00)...250, total assuming labor is free. Kenors gave a great suggestion with the DID ZVMX. The chain is strong enough for a zx14, and rated as such.

For low quality, 15.00 for the front, 35.00 for a rear, and even a lower quality, under rated o ring chain is 100.00. You save 100, risk it snapping, and it will be lucky if it lasts 1/2 as long. Not a great place to save money.

I ran the non rubberized front sprocket for a time. Probably more quiet at low, neighborhood speeds. Once at normal speed....whatever. Like Chrispy said, chain adjustment sucks until it breaks in.

If you want different tooth counts, for our oem front, look at the zx10, or older z1000. Kawasaki has used this same spline pattern, and offset , for damn near forever.

Last edited by rcannon409; 11-01-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page