Ordered a Sargent seat with customization today... - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-22-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Ordered a Sargent seat with customization today...

So I have been enjoying my new/used 2014 N1K quite a b it and quite honestly, the seat is what holds it back from being perfect. In any case, after reading a lot of posts on seats and trying the Kawi Gel seat, which was worse then stock for me, I pulled the trigger on a Sargent. I ended up calling them and doing a custom set up by having them add an inch of foam and contouring it towards the seating area to eliminate all forward slope, etc. Hoping this does the trick and it can't be worse than stock, haha.

Best part is they have a sale going on with 13% off and free shipping so I got the seat and the rear cover for $366 which is a pretty good deal, IMO.

Hopefully the weather holds and I can get a review on it after I get it.
rcannon409, Bc2 and kenors like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-23-2019, 06:59 PM

If they have not built it yet, consider having them cover it in the dtx material instead of the normal stuff. Their normal material scuffs easy and is slick.

I have their concours 14 seat, too and i will end up sending it back to get the dtx cover. Its not as easy to slide on, but its much more durable.
Chrispy, kenors and CRFan1 like this.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 PM

+1 for the dtx cover on Sargent seats, especially if you ride in textile suits. Standard seat is very slippery.
CRFan1 likes this.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 10-24-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Good information guys...I will call them today! They are on a 1 week backlog. Having had Sargent seats, I can agree they are slippery!
post #5 of 23 Old 10-24-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

The Sargent folks are fantastic....I just called and they had not built my seat yet so they changed the cover to DTX. This will be my 4th Sargent seat and it won't be the last. Great company. I am going to be very curious how this seat turns out (I hope good, haha)!
rcannon409 likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-27-2019, 11:55 AM

This post has me wanting to send in my stock seat or having the Sargent I bought online sent in and reconfigured. I'm 6'1 and weigh 240 lbs so an inch of foam and removing the forward slope would probably be a good thing. Can't decide which I want to send in. Any suggestions?

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #7 of 23 Old 10-27-2019, 12:44 PM

I think the base of the Sargent seat has more going for it than a stock base does. Not much, but maybe worth enough to start with it and not a stock base. I think the base, itself, holds more foam. All else being equal, its probably the one to build around. Especially if you are ordering a Sargent Custom seat.

If you are going full on custom, from someone else, , the stock base fits better. If you were going to hit me with one, i would choose to be hit by the sargent. Less sharp edges, overall, and a more rounded construction.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-27-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I think the base of the Sargent seat has more going for it than a stock base does. Not much, but maybe worth enough to start with it and not a stock base. I think the base, itself, holds more foam. All else being equal, its probably the one to build around. Especially if you are ordering a Sargent Custom seat.

If you are going full on custom, from someone else, , the stock base fits better. If you were going to hit me with one, i would choose to be hit by the sargent. Less sharp edges, overall, and a more rounded construction.
I was leaning towards sending in the Sargent so I think that's what I'll do. Thanks
rcannon409 likes this.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends
post #9 of 23 Old 10-27-2019, 01:32 PM

Dont forget the dtx cover material. Its a no cost option once you choose custom, but its a much better material for a seat cover. I cant see anyone complaining about it. I know Kenors likes it, and hes as tough of a critic as youll ever find, with 100's of thousands of miles of experience. Thats all one needs to know.

Their stock stuff is slick. Dtx is not abrasive, by any means, but they make it sound that way.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-27-2019, 05:48 PM

I only know about the Sargent seat covers mixed with synthetic pants. I wear an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit every minute I'm on the bike. After a few 10's of k's of miles the stock Sargent cover isn't so slippery. I never really noticed it being "sticky" or "abrasive," you just don't get the unexpected slide from time to time. To be fair, I had it on a seat made in 1999 for my VFR. It went from a '98 to a '99 to a '99 VFR (loved that model!) and when I sold the last VFR in 2013 the seat, while not looking new had no wear spots or cracks or tears in it after >250k miles of seat time. If it fit the Ninja I'd still have it.
When you call Sargent, talk to them. The few times I have called a) a human picked up the phone after a couple rings and b) the person who picked up the phone was a biker who knew knew their stuff. The '99 call was when they suggested that since I wore textiles I might be interested in a cover that wasn't so slippery. In 2013 I forgot to ask and they didn't mention the dtx cover material and got the slippery stuff.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page