• 1 Post By calamarichris
  • 1 Post By kenors
  • 1 Post By drumbum
  • 1 Post By kenors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Newbie with Luggage Questions

Heya.

Against my better judgment, I got this BMW F800GT for my girlfriend to ride, and now that she doesn't ride much anymore, I'm stuck with it and want to trade it for something with enough power to pull the string from a cat's bum.

So to my questions:

~Is the top case really not mountable with the saddlebags? That seems like a poor design, as having all available luggage would make the bike much more suitable as a sport-tourer.

~Kawasaki claims this top case rack will only carry 11 lbs. 11--pounds for a 47-liter case?! Is the top case rack really that weak?

I ask, because I need to be able to mount a surfboard rack (like below), and a bicycle rack (also below):

I've experienced some crossover between Kawasaki models in the past. Is it possible to mount the more substantial Versys-1000 rack on the Ninja 1000?

Thanks very much for any guidance and answers. Safe riding out there!
nucleus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 PM

Garage
I think all the weight limits and no top case with luggage is out of an abundance of caution. Weather it be a concern with total weight, or weight distribution... Kawasaki seems to be playing it safe.
Some where on here a couple of members have top cases mounted with their luggage. Seems like they bought a rack that was made to work with them but not a 100%.
Also a couple of members run the top case mounted to a spare rear seat.
Personally I use a tail bag and or tank bag in conjunction with my luggage.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 05:41 PM

You will also find members who have had their rear subframe break or round out the bolt holes enough to become very loose. The connection of the subframe to the frame is the weak point. Check out other threads for fixes.
rcannon409 likes this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenors View Post
You will also find members who have had their rear subframe break or round out the bolt holes enough to become very loose. The connection of the subframe to the frame is the weak point. Check out other threads for fixes.
@kenors I'm looking for this but cant find it. Even checked other forums, could you point me in the right direction with a thread name or on what forum?

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 PM

Here's one thread:

https://www.riderforums.com/threads/...rcement.84364/

The basic problem is that the bolts holding the subframe go into the main frame into holes threaded into the aluminum. They sometimes come loose. Various fixes are presented in thread above. I'd swear I've seen more threads but I can't find them now either. Hope this helps.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #6 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 PM

It is true you cannot run the kawasaki sidebags with the kawasaki trunk, it's one or the other. THere are options of course, you coudl go for osmething like givi/shad v35(33's for shad) and a trunk, its a bit wider though. You can also go oem bags with aftermarket ventura rack https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/fo...109-model.html That's what I have myself.... I'm not a huge fan of the rack, it feels flimsy compared to a givi one, but It hasn't broken with roughly 30,000 miles of use (I always have the trunk on givi v56) and I can't find any forum posts about the racks breaking for anyone else. I'f I ever get around to it I might weld an extra brace on there, but like I said it seems fine.

For me the issue is actually with overloading, the bike handles horribly. Even if I was sure the rack could handle the weight, the bike handles strangely, IMO. I'm not saying the ventura rack is bad, it works fine up to the limits I'm willing to load in it, it's just not as confidence inspiring as the givi stuff.

P.s. older posts on the ventura rack mention its very tall, They redesigned it several years ago so its low profile. No need to try and fabricate your own mounts, spend the money and buy the ventura ones.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 PM

I had both the high and "sport" Ventura racks on my VFRs. I found if I put the pack forward over the seat instead of behind the rack it handled much better. Something about weight high and behind the rear axle destroys the handling. It must be a personal thing but I find a top box on a light bike destroys the handling. 10# in the top box feels like the wife is on the back. I have the Ventura mounts for the N1k but only use them to strap camping gear on the bike. The side bags carry everything I need.
Now that I think about it, several of my friends who have top boxes never put anything in them while riding. They use them to stow their helmet and gear at the destination.
rcannon409 likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 PM

I’ve had the givi rack and top box for 4- years. It has the backrest option. I don’t even know it’s back there on trips. Me and the wife and the box loaded with a weekends worth of clothes sure is nice. No issues what so ever and know loose subframe.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page