Longer clutch cable for riser install. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Question Longer clutch cable for riser install.

Hello there. I installed some parts on my 2018 N1k.

Parts:
N1K Handlebar conversion kit.
https://www.bikermart.co.uk/Kawasaki...ndlebar-Risers

MASO Motorbike Handlebar Riser 7/8" 22mm & 11/8" 28mm Universal Aluminium Alloy Durable Bars Clamp
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You guessed it! My brake line and clutch cable are too short!
They reach, but not in a way that makes me entirely comfortable.

As far as the clutch cable goes, I'm thinking I can get one for a 2018 Versys and it should be long enough to reach and have the extra slack I need.

I'm not sure about the brake line, as I have not yet looked into it.

What do you think about the clutch cable and do you have any ideas for the brake line?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2019, 09:05 AM

The brake line will be easy. I have used a company called Core Moto. They made my line quickly, and the quality is excellent. They were the type of place you could call and just tell them to make a ninja 1000 front brake line set 2in longer.....they answer, "Is that all.?" And you new line set is here a week later. Google "Core Moto" if my link is bad. Lots of places make line sets, but these guys were fast.

The first set I ordered, I just guessed at and asked for a set 3 inches longer. That turned out to be too long. It's really hard to stash extra brake line.

The second time, I was smarter and went to the store and bought some 1/4 clear vinyl tubing. I cut that to the perfect length. It worked much better to be able to say, "make the line 28", from fitting center to fitting center. I hope that made sense? Be sure and do it that way.

.https://www.coremoto.com/Default.asp...xoCDZYQAvD_BwE

I like the idea of using a Versys clutch cable. I think motion pro makes custom cables, but if that versys cable works it will be faster and cheaper.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 PM

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to upgrade to a magura hymec clutch system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 AM

If he's on a 2018, there's no need to upgrade the clutch system. It sounds crazy, but that assist/slipper clutch is so easy to pull...one finger, easily, that a hydro clutch is not really even desired.....

On the old clutch, I'm with you. That would be a great upgrade.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 02:20 PM

It is not just about the clutch pull, but magura is able to customize the length of tube (like if you were to install risers), requires no adjustment or lubing, plus a consistent feel for even after hours of riding. We have a 2014 and a 2018 Ninja 1000 and I have ridden in both, before and after the hymec install, and I can tell you from first hand experience that the amount of force required to pull the clutch on the 2018 does change in the middle of the ride.

In addition, if one is like us where we keep the clutch pulled in and ready for an exit situation when there are incoming cars behind us, the hydraulic system helps a lot.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM

That would be a fun topic to discuss. We should find a way to start a new topic on clutch cables vs hydraulic. It's one of those things that's either awesome, or garbage, and both answers are correct.

I had my magura conversion unit for years, offroad and developed a real love/hate for it.

I cant wait to see the ninja with real handlebars.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

I'll post some pics once I have everything done. I got some bar end mirrors because one of my replacement bar ends fell off somewhere? I also got some block off plates for when I take the stock mirrors off. I actually really like the stock mirrors but all I can see is my hands now sooo... *shrug*
post #8 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histaminium View Post
It is not just about the clutch pull, but magura is able to customize the length of tube (like if you were to install risers), requires no adjustment or lubing, plus a consistent feel for even after hours of riding. We have a 2014 and a 2018 Ninja 1000 and I have ridden in both, before and after the hymec install, and I can tell you from first hand experience that the amount of force required to pull the clutch on the 2018 does change in the middle of the ride.

In addition, if one is like us where we keep the clutch pulled in and ready for an exit situation when there are incoming cars behind us, the hydraulic system helps a lot.
If you have a chance, can you try something?I thought about your post while I was stuck in traffic, having to hold the clutch in.....

If you have one of those fish scales, pull the clutch lever in and see how much force it takes to hold it against the bar.

My concours 14 took 14 lbs. The ninja 1000, with the newer clutch , was at 8lbs. I would be curious what the Magura shows.

Im anxious to see this conversion...
post #9 of 13 Old 08-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Histaminium View Post

If you have a chance, can you try something?I thought about your post while I was stuck in traffic, having to hold the clutch in.....

If you have one of those fish scales, pull the clutch lever in and see how much force it takes to hold it against the bar.

My concours 14 took 14 lbs. The ninja 1000, with the newer clutch , was at 8lbs. I would be curious what the Magura shows.

Im anxious to see this conversion...
LOL. I'm happy you were thinking about my post while sitting in traffic in Utah. I do not have any fish scales conduct this experiment but you do have a magura on your dirt bike. Or you can buy one and return it since you already have measuring device handy!
rcannon409 likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-23-2019, 10:47 AM

Histaminium don’t be such a tight wad, Walmart sells the fish weight scales for 10 bucks then you can start fishing and use them to weigh your big fish lol,

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page