For those of you using gas cap ring mount tank bags please show me what you have. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile For those of you using gas cap ring mount tank bags please show me what you have.

Hey all,

Riding up to Laguna Seca for the Superbike races next month and am looking to get a tank bag. Prefer a gas cap ring mount option. For those of you using gas cap ring mount tank bags please show me what you have. Curious to see how they fit on our bike. Currently looking at Givi's offerings, but open to any other brand as well.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.

Last edited by tyrmeltr; 06-06-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-06-2019, 12:31 PM

I'll see if I can pics of my set up using the GIVI.

Right I can say it works very well. Worked on my VFR and it's working on my N1k.
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
I'll see if I can pics of my set up using the GIVI.

Right I can say it works very well. Worked on my VFR and it's working on my N1k.
Thanks for the prompt reply. If it's too much trouble to get a photo don't worry about it, you're credible and I take your word for it that it works well. If you happen to know the model or can identify it online that would be very helpful though.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM

I have a Givi XS308 that was on my previous Ninja 300, then my Ninja 650. I loved that bag ! However, since I now have the side hard bags, I didn't install it yet. The tank ring isn't too obtrusive, and to get the back on/off is quick and simple. Also, the bag doesn't touch the tank, and doesn't block movement when in place. That being said, these comments apply for n300 and n650, as I didn't try it on the n1000 yet.
tyrmeltr likes this.

Ninja 1000 2017 - Candy Lime Green
  • OEM Paniers, Frame sliders, Front Axle sliders and Crank Case protectors. Tankslapper tank protection
  • Incoming Scorpion Slipons
post #5 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 12:55 PM

I'll take photos this weekend because I have the small GIVI bag and large one also. It will give you a very good idea of how they look and fit on the bike. They don't hug the tank they kind of "float" on top of it. When the big one is on the bike, hanging off the bike gets a bit limited.

When you order the tank lock mechanism, you have to make sure you get the two pieces: The horseshoe shaped metal flange that is bike specific, and the nylon ring that the tank lock bag clamps on to. The Nylon ring is universal. But damn Givi does NOT sell the metal bike-specific flange AND the nylon ring together. Then they don't put a bright red disclaimer to let you know you need BOTH below until you read the details below the product description.

Here is the Nylon universal tank lock ring: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WEKFGXEG&psc=1

Here is the bike-specific metal flange: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi...-bf04-kawasaki
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 01:45 PM

Garage
I've been using SW-Motech's EVO tank ring system for the past few years and really like it a lot. My only complaint is the cost. To the best of my knowledge, the SW-Motech system is currently the most expensive option; both Givi and Cortech offer tank ring systems that are a lot more affordable. The reason I chose to go with the SW-Motech system, was their tank ring had the smallest foot print (still does AFAIK).

I currently have the EVO 5-9L Daypack (expandable).

It's not the largest bag that would probably fit a N1K/Z1KSX, but it does fit my needs. Even though, I have hard luggage that I often use (even on short day trips); I still use my tank bag for carrying sensitive items (Electronics, glasses, legal doc's, etc) that I don't want to leave on the bike when stopping for breaks where I'll be away from the bike (restaurant's, photo-ops, bathroom stop, etc).

Here's a few additional picts of the setup on my '17.

tyrmeltr likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the responses. Looking at the SW-Motech set up, a member on the Facebook group posted the City Evo and it's exactly what I am looking for in terms of size without being too obtrusive. Have read some complaints about Givi zippers blowing out and less than exceptional warranty support. Though who knows if it was some dude with the delicacy of a gorilla using it.

post #8 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 02:20 PM

As a side note, if you're looking for a tank bag alternative when you don't want something big sitting on the tank, the best motorcycle back pack I've ever used is made by GIVI and it's called the Easy Range model.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SAAEgLmKPD_BwE

This thing is awesome. Don't let its price & appearance of simplicity fool you into thinking it's some low cost, hipster backpack for coffee shop rides. It can be. But it's extremely well thought out and very functional as a motorcycle backpack.

1) It's compact when empty and hugs your body so it's almost not there.
2) It carries its weight down low near your waist so your shoulders don't ache when carrying something heavy.
3) It has a built in helmet holder.
4) It has a built in sunglasses holder on top of and OUTSIDE the bag.
5) It has a small zipper pocket on the waist band for smaller items you can access while keeping the backpack on your back.
6) It is expandable to a much greater capacity. I've actually used this to carry home two dinner plates plus soup containers before without the need to flip the containers on their side! The bottom expands a LOT!

All for $75! Try finding that with brands like Alpinestars, Ogio, or Kriega!
tyrmeltr likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-07-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That looks like a nice bit of kit. Already have decent Cortech moto backpack so it wouldn't make much sense for me to get another one. My daily commuting I get by with just the official Kawi tail bag. Gonna pack light for this trip, but do want to bring some comfortable shoes for walking around the track all day.

post #10 of 29 Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 AM

I use the SW-Motech setup that FeralRidr uses, in fact have used it for 10 years without issue. Take a look at the side shot above with the bag attached (I have the smaller version of that bag)..............the additional benefit of this setup that people rarely mention is what it does to add to the comfort of the bike.

You can choose how to mount the plate to the bag to have the bag sit more forward or rearward on the ring. I have mine set up such that the rear of the bag aligns with the slope of the tank. What I end up getting is a extremely comfortable and functional platform to lay my body on. I can have my full body weight on the tank and the bag for times when you are slabbing it. I can literally take my hands off the bars and just lay there. In ten years the tank bag never detached. It makes a big difference in fatigue when your day rides are typically 500 miles pr more like mine.

Call me lazy, but when I swap bikes with others, I notice this as the biggest ergonomic difference between bikes.
tyrmeltr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page