Dunlop tire deal - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalicke View Post
I just talked to my local shop and they are the Dunlop exclusive dealer for the local race track here in Utah. What that equals is they get huge discounts due to the volume they sell to the local racers at the track. I had them quote me for a set of Roadsmart 3. $166 Rear and $123 Front, Tax is about $20, Install is $40. = $349 - $60 Rebate. I will be out the door for $289

Obviously the bigger discount is on the Q3+ and Q4 but I want a long lasting tire.

It will be about 1000 miles early on my Michelin Pilot Road 2. They have been great tires but with a good deal staring me in the face I can't not try the RS3. It has been over 3 years since I have ridden brand new rubber due to motorcycle changes. I am excited.
I'm so jealous of this price. I can't get this unless I do the tires myself. For the first time in a while I actually had a local shop do my tires because a buddy of mine told me what a "good deal" it was. Rode in with $333 worth of Pilot Road 5s (mail order, mounted by me) and road out with $595 worth of Roadsmart 3s. (But I'll get $60 back, of course!). Back to mail order...

They RS3s feel pretty good to me, maybe a little more planted and a touch softer ride. I'll report back in 10k miles or so to see how I like them.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=kenors;365550

They RS3s feel pretty good to me, maybe a little more planted and a touch softer ride. I'll report back in 10k miles or so to see how I like them.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I would describe them. I got those tires near the end of summer last year. I loved the RS2's, and these are even better. Haven't put enough miles on them to test tread life, but they feel better all around. They seem to work good in 40F and cooler weather no problem. If they need any warming up, they don't need much, they feel grippy immediately. I always get nervous when a favorite tire gets replaced with a new model, but Dunlop went the right direction with these.
Johnmark101 likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-30-2019, 08:22 PM

Purchased the RS3 today. Submitted my info for the rebate. I will let you know how it all works out. A couple dollars more than I expected but still not bad. $294.58 mounted / balanced after rebate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS3 Recipt.jpg (77.4 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Wow, thought I missed out on the Dunlop rebates. Looks like they've added another rebate period from May to June.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 PM
DeV

Garage
I have the Roadsmart 3 set on....I would not get them again. Not sure if it's due to the larger rear tire (which I increased like most others to the 190/55)...but the front end is unstable and even wobbly under hard acceleration or high speeds....

I think my next set will be the PR5 tires

2016 N1K - Spark Black, Metallic Gray

Taylor33 Reflective Rim Tape, Urban Brawlers, Gear Indicator, Shogun Frame Sliders, Passenger Grip, Two-Tone levers, Mo-Door Opener, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, anodized green bolts, Mini Spools, Sargent & Kawasaki Gel Seats, XKGlow LED kit w/smartbrake, optiMATE phone charger, 2-Way Alarm, XK Glow LED headlights, N1K & DeV Inner Rim Stickers, HVMP ex heavy bar ends, RAM mount X grip, Kawi seat bag, Ivan's Flash, BMC air filter, LED signals and relay
post #16 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeV View Post
I have the Roadsmart 3 set on....I would not get them again. Not sure if it's due to the larger rear tire (which I increased like most others to the 190/55)...but the front end is unstable and even wobbly under hard acceleration or high speeds....

I think my next set will be the PR5 tires
There's something else wrong with your bike. I just went from PR5s to Roadsmart 3s (/55 rear on both) and do not have any stability issues. I just did a little 135-140mph run Monday and there is no instability. I do run max pressures (36/42) if that makes a difference. The /55 profile rear does make the bike feel lighter and turn-in is much easier but there's certainly no instability.

The RS3s feel a little softer than the PR5s, a little more planted and stable if anything. There is a thread elsewhere of folks adding steering stabilizers to their bikes so maybe some are unstable.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #17 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM

I think that Dunlop rebate is a lot like a Sams Club membership. Of course, you are honored and very lucky to be a member, its just not THAT exclusive.

Dev the bike shoudl not feel that way. The rear tire is not THAT much taller.

Figure your old tire was "x"...new tire is only 5mm taller. Figure 8....8 or 10mm taller including the new unworn tread. Thats enough to notice but not enough to cause instability. Whats your weight and how is your fork and shock set up?

You might try reducing preload in back..add some to the front too. If this is bad enough to bother you, something else is wrong.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 01:23 PM
DeV

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I think that Dunlop rebate is a lot like a Sams Club membership. Of course, you are honored and very lucky to be a member, its just not THAT exclusive.

Dev the bike shoudl not feel that way. The rear tire is not THAT much taller.

Figure your old tire was "x"...new tire is only 5mm taller. Figure 8....8 or 10mm taller including the new unworn tread. Thats enough to notice but not enough to cause instability. Whats your weight and how is your fork and shock set up?

You might try reducing preload in back..add some to the front too. If this is bad enough to bother you, something else is wrong.

I have never had the suspension set up properly....so maybe that would help....I do have the back preloaded pretty tight since I'm about 250 lbs....

The front used to be wobbly starting at about 116 and during hard acceleration....I contacted Dunlop and they sent me a new front tire, as I had read stories about defective front tires, notoriously with Dunlop....
the new front tire was installed....now the wobble starts at about 128ish....and not as bad as it used to be....but still noticeable and makes me not want to push it any harder....

Tires are run at stock pressure....

important note....when I say wobble, I don't mean a wobble like the crash vids you see where the front end is out of control...but I mean a little jittery in the front end that makes me worried if I pushed it more that it could turn in to the aforementioned wobble....

2016 N1K - Spark Black, Metallic Gray

Taylor33 Reflective Rim Tape, Urban Brawlers, Gear Indicator, Shogun Frame Sliders, Passenger Grip, Two-Tone levers, Mo-Door Opener, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, anodized green bolts, Mini Spools, Sargent & Kawasaki Gel Seats, XKGlow LED kit w/smartbrake, optiMATE phone charger, 2-Way Alarm, XK Glow LED headlights, N1K & DeV Inner Rim Stickers, HVMP ex heavy bar ends, RAM mount X grip, Kawi seat bag, Ivan's Flash, BMC air filter, LED signals and relay
post #19 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 PM

I sort-of got that...your wobble thing is a 2-3 on the 1-10 scale. At 250, the stock suspension wont be amazing. The springs are too soft. Im picturing the bike settling 2-3 inches when you are on it.

On our older bikes the fork is strange. It collapses 2-3 inches then almost locks up. If I were you I would add a bunch for preload to the fork. See if you can keep it out of that "lock up" range. Maybe even reduce the rear preload too. I dont believe you will ever get great but it might be enough to keep it from that wobble range.
DeV likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 PM
57x

I don't see how preload fixes this issue. I'm thinking you should contact a local suspension shop and talk about getting springs. I'm 60 lbs less than you are the springs are about right. Preload could be a temporary solution but you need a fix.

If I remember correctly you have a some miles on that bike. Have you checked if the head stock is tight? This could be loose complicating the problem. Check for a loose head stock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page