accessory recommendations please - GPS tracker, throttle assist, etc. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

accessory recommendations please - GPS tracker, throttle assist, etc.

Hey all. Lately I've been considering doing some longer trips than the current norm. I was curious if you guys had some recommendations on:

GPS Tracking - either bike or cell phone based

I am interested in the bike mounted version as a theft recovery option, however the main goal is that my wife can check in on a whim and see where we are. We currently use Life360, however she's complained several times that she'll call me and it says I'm in one place when I am in fact in another. Generally, it hasn't updated at that point. (one time I was in a bad cell area and it showed me in the middle of a field for a half hour so she got worried because I also wasn't receiving calls) It has also failed to update correctly while in areas with strong cell reception.

Throttle assist - not necessarily the throttle lock variety, more the kind with a plastic loop and shelf that reduces the need to grip the throttle lever so hard. I've found a few on amazon, but many reviews indicate breaking within a few days... One day I may spring for the Kaokao, but I don't necessarily want to drop over $100 for that atm.

TIA!
-Patrick

2016 Ninja 1000 w/ KQR Bags
V Stream tall Touring Screen
Sargent Seat

1990 ZX11C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Also, any comfort or piece of mind accessories not commonly mentioned?

Sargent Seat

1990 ZX11C
post #3 of 23 Old 04-02-2019, 05:32 AM

Garage
I have been using this for a Throttle assist and it works well. It's cheap and easy to take on and off. I use
Universal Throttle Boss™, Black

Multi-Fit: Any Application with a Twist Grip Throttle
EA $13.99

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/26...-throttle-boss

When a man says he will fix something, then he will fix it. There’s no need to keep reminding him every 6 months.
New Jersey Sucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
I have the Crampbuster from Cyclegear on both of my bikes. It can be a little annoying around town but definitely a plus on the highway. The trick to adjusting is spinning it around backwards so I recommend practicing a bit before taking the bike out. It could be a tad smaller but it does what it is supposed to.

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/cram...cruise-control
post #5 of 23 Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM

I'm more interested in the GPS tracking app/devices. Anybody?

I picked up the little "cramp buster" item shown on a used bike I bought 20 years ago or so. It's soft rubber and adds just enough leverage to relieve the hand. It doesn't get in the way, doesn't ding the tank at full lock and, with time, becomes so automatic you only notice your right wrist isn't sore at the end of a long day. I have no idea where to get one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bar end weight.jpg (285.1 KB, 28 views)

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #6 of 23 Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 PM

What kind of hand guards do you have there? I'm thinking of installing some on my ride.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-02-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
REVER works pretty good. Not hard to plan a route if you subscribe, and by the year cost very little, there is a free version also but you dont get all the features of course.
Also use WAZE, it is a social based app that is damn good around here for avoiding performance awards.
As for a throttle lock I use a Go Cruise.
Lag 4 likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-02-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcullum1995 View Post
What kind of hand guards do you have there? I'm thinking of installing some on my ride.
They are Barkbuster Storm S7s.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-threaded-bars

They mount with the single screw at the end of the handlebar. You remove the weight, replace with the Storm mount. All the parts come. I found a bit more vibration in the bars so added the weights back. You have to buy longer bolts to do that.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Last edited by kenors; 04-02-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Throttle assist -- I've been using BrakeAway, which can be tedious to install/tune, but once it's set, it's great.

That being said... I had Throttlemeisters installed the heavy ones. I bought them to help make my hands stop falling asleep due to high frequency vibration I didn't realize this bike has. My hands no longer fall asleep. 110% worth it. If you're coordinated enough to use a twist throttle lock, just use these. I'm not, so I still use the BrakeAway.

GPS -- Garmin Zumo, it's made for the job. Mine's mounted with the bracket that uses the gas tank bolts.

I bought it after seeing that the google maps don't work when there's no cell service.

Rever has new features and claims to be usable without cell service, I haven't tried it. So far just using them to track rides.

I just got back from a 6-day ride, 1800 miles. Enjoyed how the bike is set up.

Let us know what you decide to go with.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-07-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the various recommendations on throttle assist.

To clarify once again, when I say GPS I don't mean navigation. I mean something that my wife can check to see where we're at when I'm on my rides.

Thanks

Sargent Seat

1990 ZX11C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page