Question on Brembo rotors - Serie Oro vs. SuperSport - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Question on Brembo rotors - Serie Oro vs. SuperSport

I am considering upgrading the brake discs/rotors on my '16 bike. Have checked out the Brembo range and the two options for the Ninja are the Serie Oro rotors and the SuperSport rotors. The latter are fully floating type. I will be sticking to the stock size of 300mm. I have the Brembo RCS19 Corsa Corta master cylinder and HEL steel lines on my bike. Vesrah ZZ compound pads on the way. So that leaves me with the calipers and rotors to work on. I'd like to upgrade the rotors first and then see if I wish to swap the calipers as well.

My question is has anybody used either of the two Brembo rotors and if there is any opinion on both/either. The SuperSport being fully floating has me apprehensive of any rattling they may make under intense braking.

Your inputs and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 10:15 AM

I'm not sure mine are even real Brembos. I have one set of 330mm rotors from the new zx10. The other set is from the 2016 zx14se. Both are round...no idea if they are the real thing, or something made to a Kawasaki price point.

With that said, the sizing comes to mind. If you do the math on it, you gain about 3% more power for every 10mm in disc diameter you add. You not changing the diameter does make sense. There's not a lot to be gained from doing so.

Then again, it's basically free power. The spacers look good, and don't hurt anything. With a 310mm disc, it's a 5mm spacer and you use the stock bolts. I have 15mm spacers, on my ninja, and it's no big deal. You and I have this love for high end parts, I know....

I think going from a stock Kawasaki rotor, to a Brembo (same size) is not really worth it, unless your stock rotors are damaged. I find my fake Brembos to be very smooth, but I really don't know if I could find them if we were having a blind sample with these vs stock. Mine appear to be very similar to the oro, and I really like them.

Seriously, if I had to change something first, I think it would be calipers. I think the high end Brembo rotors may have a racetrack advantage. Maybe they handle repeated stops better than our stock rotors, but not so much on a one-for-one stop.

Your master cylinder is a perfect match for the Brembo m4. It's too large for the gp4rs. I think I would buy the m4's, first, and consider a rotor uphrade when you need to replace due to wear.

If you have to, I think both the rotors you discussed will be excellent.
post #3 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Are the Brembo's a direct bolt up? I've been thinking about switching my brakes over but I'm not a mechanic. If it's just a simple bolt up without any modifications even better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 12:35 PM

You won't get rattling under hard braking with the full floating rotors but you might hear/feel something at low speeds. From my experience with really loose full floaters on friends bikes is it's mostly noticeable when compressing/pumping the front fork at a stand still with the brake on.

As far as which is better, full floating won't give you more power but better feel / more immediate braking.
post #5 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I'm not sure mine are even real Brembos. I have one set of 330mm rotors from the new zx10. The other set is from the 2016 zx14se. Both are round...no idea if they are the real thing, or something made to a Kawasaki price point.

With that said, the sizing comes to mind. If you do the math on it, you gain about 3% more power for every 10mm in disc diameter you add. You not changing the diameter does make sense. There's not a lot to be gained from doing so.

Then again, it's basically free power. The spacers look good, and don't hurt anything. With a 310mm disc, it's a 5mm spacer and you use the stock bolts. I have 15mm spacers, on my ninja, and it's no big deal. You and I have this love for high end parts, I know....

I think going from a stock Kawasaki rotor, to a Brembo (same size) is not really worth it, unless your stock rotors are damaged. I find my fake Brembos to be very smooth, but I really don't know if I could find them if we were having a blind sample with these vs stock. Mine appear to be very similar to the oro, and I really like them.

Seriously, if I had to change something first, I think it would be calipers. I think the high end Brembo rotors may have a racetrack advantage. Maybe they handle repeated stops better than our stock rotors, but not so much on a one-for-one stop.

Your master cylinder is a perfect match for the Brembo m4. It's too large for the gp4rs. I think I would buy the m4's, first, and consider a rotor uphrade when you need to replace due to wear.

If you have to, I think both the rotors you discussed will be excellent.
The M4 would cost a bit more than I was budgeting but you make a valid point. The returns per dollar would be greater with the M4, yes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, RC... Food for thought.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
BMC filter
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #6 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
You won't get rattling under hard braking with the full floating rotors but you might hear/feel something at low speeds. From my experience with really loose full floaters on friends bikes is it's mostly noticeable when compressing/pumping the front fork at a stand still with the brake on.

As far as which is better, full floating won't give you more power but better feel / more immediate braking.
Thank you for confirming that the floating calipers can be noisy in some cases/situations. That was my apprehension too. Bad roads will also likely result in a rattle. I was after Ďfeelí but I guess it will involve a trade-off.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
BMC filter
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #7 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM
57x

The Brembo floating rotors do rattle, but you can only hear it at low parking lot-type speed. I would not get too hung up about it.

Guys, the M4 calipers from Brembo are essentially the same as the GSXR OEM Brembo calipers. I have put GSXR Brembo calipers side-by-side our Tokiko calipers, both calipers having the same pads with properly bedded rotors, using a Brembo RCS with braided lines on the same bike and can find no advantage. The OEM Tokikos are actually a damn good caliper, and with a proper master, lines and pads in them work great. Be careful upgrading further with the Brembo caliper line. Many are race-only calipers without wipers, so you either screw them up with water and sand, or take them apart often to clean them up. I pull my GP4-RR calipers off my race bike every couple track days to clean them up. A PITA, but worth it for the insane braking performance. I am pretty sure the GP4-RX are race, but do not know much about the GP4-RS, and this needs to be confirmed as I am going from a distant memory. If you want the bling on your bike, and I don't blame you, grab a set of GSXR Brembo calipers and enjoy!

I have the same Tokiko calipers on my H2 SX SE, but that bike comes with larger rotors, bigger Nissin master cylinder and braided lines from the factory. I only swapped the pads to Carbon Lorraine and they are fantastic. Good initial bite (in other words, not too crazy) and plenty of power to stop our heavy bikes with great modulation. I typically only have one finger on the brake and it is more than enough.

Something things to think about.
Ishikawa likes this.
post #8 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM

Just to clarify for everyone, your H2 SX has the new monoblock Tokico's, not the older two piece Tokico's.

Kicking around upgrading to the monoblock Tokico's myself this winter......
post #9 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 02:40 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Just to clarify for everyone, your H2 SX has the new monoblock Tokico's, not the older two piece Tokico's.

Kicking around upgrading to the monoblock Tokico's myself this winter......
Good catch @Chrispy! 2014 and up Ninja 1000s are also monoblock

You can also get these Tokiko monoblock calipers from a Honda CBR1000 from around 2012 or newer. Make sure you confirm the year. It just says Tokiko on the outside instead of Kawasaki. I have a set on my Z750. I find them cheaper from a Honda bike since there were so many more of them made.
post #10 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

57x, thatís a good point about possible maintenance on the Brembo calipers...

You say youíre happy with Carbone Lorraine pads - which ones are you using? I have the XBK5 currently on my Ninja and Iím not happy with the bite, feel or progression. Perhaps your bikeís calipers and bigger rotors are doing the business.

Iím waiting on the Vesrah ZZ pads and will swap the XBK5 pads for them even though Iíve done barely 2000km on the XBK5.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
BMC filter
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page