Question on Brembo rotors - Serie Oro vs. SuperSport - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Our 2011-2013 bikes have the older style, 2 piece caliper. It's a not a bad caliper at all. The stock pads in it are terrible.

The oem Kawasaki branded Tokiko calipers are usually pretty cheap, on eBay. Bikram, thats whats tough when you hit the end of the line.

Not a bad problem to have,I suppose, but your cost to upgrade are now more $$$$ than $$$.

I have the gsxr brembos. They work ok. Good thing for you, Bikram, is their piston size matches up really well with your 18x19 master cylinder.

2012 Ninja 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 PM

Bikram, I did not mention what probably is the best caliper.

The zx14 caliper is a copy of a Moto go caliper. It uses 4 pads, per caliper, and is an amazing brake caliper. You would need new lines, and odds are some 2 or 3mm spacers. They are a massive step up from what we've mentioned, so far.

The drawback, on this caliper, is it's pad costs. The pads all cost 2x what they would for other 2 pad calipers. That , and the weight. I sort of kick my own ass for not going that way. I spent a lot of money on rotors and calipers to basically match what my stock concours 14 was furnished with.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #13 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 07:34 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post

The zx14 caliper is a copy of a Moto go caliper. It uses 4 pads, per caliper, and is an amazing brake caliper. You would need new lines, and odds are some 2 or 3mm spacers. They are a massive step up from what we've mentioned, so far.

The drawback, on this caliper, is it's pad costs. The pads all cost 2x what they would for other 2 pad calipers. That , and the weight. I sort of kick my own ass for not going that way. I spent a lot of money on rotors and calipers to basically match what my stock concours 14 was furnished with.
@rcannon409, I also tested those Nissin 4-pad monoblock calipers when I tested the GSXR Brembo's and the Honda/Tokiko monoblock's. Kawasaki also ran those calipers on the 2009-12 ZX6R. The only advantage I found with them was more initial bite. I don't like a lot if initial bite on a street bike as there are things that happen that need the ability to emergency stop that you just don't find on the track. I am willing to take a hit on initial bite, to lower the risk of a low side. After the initial bite of the Nissin 4-pad calipers, I found the power and modulation to be the roughly same as the monoblock Tokiko's. There is a lot more to a caliper than the number of pads. My GP4-RR calipers are only two pad calipers, and have almost more initial bite than I can handle, even on the track, and the power/modulation is just nuts. I will say also though, that the Galfer GP brake lines I use with the GP4-RR calipers help a ton with power and modulation. The line runs straight in to the caliper instead of having to roll around through a banjo bolt.

@Bikram, I am running the Carbon Lorraine Street pads. If you ordered Vesrah, stay with them. They are quite similar and you are already on your way. You will be happy. It is a Ford/Chevy thing, and it just so happens that a bike speed shop carries CL Brakes, so it is easy for me. For the track I run Carbon Lorraine Race pads for a lot more additional bite. I have to run Brembo pads on my GP4-RR calipers as that is all there is available. There is no desire to change them as they are fantastic, but also fantastically expensive ...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 08:29 PM

57x, I agree. Bikram said he likes that initial bite, so that zx6/14 caliper might be a good option . That's the other part. If you paid 150.00 for a set, your not trying hard enough.

It's a fun project for a bike in how there are so many decent parts we have access to. If you don't mind digging through eBay, you don't even have to spend much.

Another nice caliper, and the one I'd choose, is the caliper from the newer (2012-2017) zx 636 bike. But, not the 600 asmit has the older calipers. It's a Nissin monoblock. I believe it has 32mm pistons so it would match your master cylinder.

Thats the problem with what you have now. The Kawasaki monoblock use a 30mm piston. That's fine, but that needs a 17mm master cylinder. Your 19 needs to run a caliper with larger pistons.

Very light, and strong. All else being equal, I'd rather have a Nissin branded caliper than Tokiko. I don't know if performance is much different, but the quality level you see is much better, with Nissin.. The machining looks better finished, and the pistons appear to be higher quality.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #15 of 55 Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Bikram, I have used stock-sized Brembo SuperSport full floaters on several other bikes, always replacing Brembo OE rotors. Each time, braking modulation improved without any new complications. Perhaps I've heard them make the odd rattle but nothing bothersome or chronic. I didn't know Brembo had a 300mm SuperSport rotor available, if so that's good news!
post #16 of 55 Old 08-18-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post

RC, like you said, the weight would be a penalty. It would add to unsprung mass, something I have managed to reduce significantly by investing heavily in carbon fibre wheels. I love the flickability too much to mess with that.

You're absolutely right that with the 19RCS Corsa Corta I will need calipers with bigger pistons.

@57x - you're right, the GP4-RR are steeply priced! Given what you gentlemen are saying, it seems that I'll be best served with the Brembo M4 calipers given the brake system set-up I already have... however, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Brembo recommend against using these calipers with an OE ABS equipped brake system?

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #17 of 55 Old 08-18-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
Bikram, I have used stock-sized Brembo SuperSport full floaters on several other bikes, always replacing Brembo OE rotors. Each time, braking modulation improved without any new complications. Perhaps I've heard them make the odd rattle but nothing bothersome or chronic. I didn't know Brembo had a 300mm SuperSport rotor available, if so that's good news!
Ricki, Brembo has the SuperSport in 300mm, that's confirmed! There are plenty of sites selling it in this size. Thank you for your feedback on these not rattling in any significant measure. How about on patched-up road surface? They won't/don't rattle on poor surfaces?

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
BMC filter
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #18 of 55 Old 08-18-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
RC, like you said, the weight would be a penalty. It would add to unsprung mass, something I have managed to reduce significantly by investing heavily in carbon fibre wheels. I love the flickability too much to mess with that.

You're absolutely right that with the 19RCS Corsa Corta I will need calipers with bigger pistons.

@57x - you're right, the GP4-RR are steeply priced! Given what you gentlemen are saying, it seems that I'll be best served with the Brembo M4 calipers given the brake system set-up I already have... however, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Brembo recommend against using these calipers with an OE ABS equipped brake system?
Also, I have HEL steel-braided lines on my bike. I'm not sure if these will be compatible with the Brembo calipers...? I'm under the impression that one needs custom-made brake lines when you go in for after-market calipers. I could be mistaken...

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
BMC filter
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #19 of 55 Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 AM

Unless a company could test their caliper, with an abs system, the smart move would be to tell people "No..hell no" and I think changing tire size throws it off, too.

I did see that on Carpimoto, and whomever answers questions there backs you up on the "No abs" instal.

Even if you stay with the stock calipers, they are not horrible by an means. There were plenty of ninja 650's using them on The Isle of Man races.

The rcs19 you have now, real y is too large. The 17 is better with your current calipers.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #20 of 55 Old 08-18-2018, 01:05 PM

Please forgive my lack of knowledge. Steel braided lines make that big of a difference? I think I need to start studying up, or I can just bother the smart people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page