Bulbs are H7s with H4 Bases! - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Exclamation Bulbs are H7s with H4 Bases!

Hey all,
I'm not sure it was explicitly mentioned in the past by anyone, so I'm just going to put this out there now.

Our headlights have a really confusing design: They have an H7 socket/receptacle on the headlight housing, but the connecting wires have an H4 connector.

Wait... What?

The bulbs from the factory have a plastic base that is effectively an adapter from H7 to H4. This piece is also the reason why for a lot of bulb conversions you have to make an adapter or "washer" to get the LEDs (or other aftermarket bulb) to fit.

I'm not sure why they did this, if there's something different about the JDM bikes or some other strange compliance thing but I will now have to buy some adapters for my bike so I don't have to physically pull the plugs apart.

This is just a buyer beware for this sort of thing. If you do replace your bulbs, just keep the old adapters from your old bulbs! I threw together a quick YT video explaining this:

Edit: For those who don't know, The H7 bulbs are single-filament and the H4s are dual-filament bulbs

From the point of ignition to the final drive
The point of the journey is not to arrive
-----------------------------------------------
Please excuse my verbosity

Last edited by adm2204; 08-19-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Replaced static image of bulb base with YT video explaining it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Yes, that's just what the service manual shows?

2012 Ninja 1000
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 PM

Might an h4 fit into its place? Or, would that melt something?

2012 Ninja 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 PM

Garage
An H4 can be made to fit by trimming the base and with a adaptive wiring harness they can both be made to come on at the same time. Dims are much better when you do also but it throws a real scattershot high beam pattern. I figured it was because the high beam filament was in a different then designed for location and hit the reflector at a weird angle. I even tried it with LEDs thinking it would be cooler and I could run both sets of chips low and high at the same time but couldn't get the driver to fire both off. Not smart enough. It's why I went to BiLens projectors.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 PM

I'm sorry, I meant h7....if you eliminate the stock base, would an h7 fit?

I doubt we care about the filament count...if it's more bright, thats good enough.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #6 of 12 Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
@rcannon409 - Service manual isn't the first place I go for information, and even if you *have* this information, it doesn't make sense why they designed it this way. An H7 bulb fits normally in the headlight housing. The pic above shows the adapter that sits on the back of a normal halogen bulb, which, as you can see, has a sort of ring in the shape of the H7 base that spaces it out further from the housing. This spacer means that we have to use adapters like this one that's been mentioned before:

It's just a really strange way of doing things that over-complicates the replacement of stock bulbs with aftermarket ones.

I'm sure if you tried to put an H4 bulb in, you'd have to trim it like @Avintage69 says.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Yeah I just made jumpers for my harness, not knowing there was an adapter like this. The jumpers aren't the cleanest way to do it, but it gets the job done so I left them.
adm2204 likes this.

2011 N1K Black/Green
Custom 3D Printed Designs Here!
Custom 3D Printed Discussion Here!
post #8 of 12 Old 08-16-2018, 12:06 PM

ADM, that makes sense now..thanks. I did order two of those aluminum spacers, but was never quite sure why I had them, or why I wanted them.
adm2204 likes this.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #9 of 12 Old 08-16-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm going to sticky this so any newcomers see it. I might sticky that "Best Headlight Upgrade for the Money" thread, too, as I think it contains some of this info and has some good recommendations for bulbs, too.
Ishikawa and Avintage69 like this.

post #10 of 12 Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Can you also post, in this thread, what bulbs we should buy, for the upgrade, and a source for the metal spacers? I ordered mine from someone in the UK, I believe.
adm2204 likes this.

2012 Ninja 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page