Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Bar risers...murph kit or otherwise.

33K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  jbinderxxx 
#1 ·
I'm wondering who here has installed bar risers? I did buy a set of Murph Kit risers but haven't decided if I'm going to use them or not.

For those that have handlebar risers on your ninja.....pros? Cons?

To me it seems they would give me (6'0") a little more upright position as sometimes I feel like I still have a little too much weight on my wrists. But it seems like it would take away from getting my weight into it for going thru the curves.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Don, one odd thing I've noticed.

When you see someone who has a broken clutch cable on a ninja/z 1000, there's about a 90% chance they will have risers.

I wonder if it's possible to source a longer clutch cable?

Otherwise, I'll bet it's a decent mod.

Reactions: Stryker
#3 ·
Thats my other concern. While I haven't taken the stock bars off, it seems the murph risers, even tho saying no new cables needed, would make the cable (especially clutch) too tight/tense. And I sure don't want to replace all the cables for 1.5".

I'll just have to go faster so the wind holds me up better. ;)

#4 ·
no problems whatsoever with any cables with these risers

Reactions: strubes250
#6 ·
Thats my only concern is length.

yeah....i know...its a 10 minute install and I can change it back in a heartbeat.

Just haven't gotten there. It does bug me that the windscreen won't be able to go all the way down unless I get a different one....which I'm looking into. I would like a little more coverage in the mid/upper position. But i don't want it to look goofy.

Reactions: rcannon409
#7 · (Edited)
I installed Murph's Risers almost immediately after I bought my 2015. Never regretted the mod even a moment. It improved the ergonomics for me immensely. The only issue is that the clutch cable gets a little tight with the added height of the grips. But I just moved the clutch cable out of the wire basket (where all the cables and wires are routed down the handlebars) and put it behind the wire closer to the handlebars. Rerouting the clutch cable that way shortened the distance the cable had to go and slackened it just enough that the problem was solved -- 34,000 miles and many shifts later, still works perfectly.

I also changed to a National Cycle VStream Sport Touring wind screen. I works great with the risers in the middle position, which gives the best combination of wind flow and protection. It's getting a little pitted now, but I'll buy another. It's a good choice.

#9 ·
I'm in my early 50's and suffer from idiot drunk driver syndrome. (Bad accy in my car with a drunk driver about 20 years ago - oh and to top it off....she was trying to kill herself.....thanks b*tch)

I'll throw em on! Sounds like just my kinda ride....and took care of concerns!!

Reactions: rcannon409
#10 ·
I just put mine on a few days ago and i bought my bike a couple weeks ago. I came from an NC700x and was comfortable with the upright seating. The N1K isnt bad but i wanted just a little more. Murphs fixed it for me. Yes, cables are tight but works.

Others have suggested or tried to shave them down bit so you can adjust the brake and clutch levers with a lower slope. If you use the Murphs, and want use the pins, the levers are just about parallel with the ground. Not bad and are manageable but i might shave them down a bit later . Some just dont use the pins.

#11 ·
I received my Murph's risers yesterday and I installed them that afternoon. I have a 2011 Ninja 1000 with frame sliders. So to lengthen the clutch cable I had to reroute it through the right side frame slider. The brake line had to be removed from the wire clip that holds it in place. I do have Galfer lines on order. I used the pins to secure the left and right bars to the adapters. I rotated the adapters till I had the levers in the correct angle when seated on the bike. I did have to dremel the brake bracket to allow the adapter to go all the way in. Underneath the bleed nipple for the brakes. Down about 45 degrees or so. I used "removable" threadlock to fill and lock the space where the adapter slides into the mount coming up from the top triple tree. Once I am happy with the angle I am going to drill and tap a 6mm bolt through the mount from the triple tree and into the adapter inside. That will lock it in place and not allow it to rotate. Just through one side as the 10mm bolt goes all the way through the adapter.

Attachments

#13 ·
I can't overstate how much more comfortable it is to ride with Murph's bar risers. A week and 550 miles after I took my new 2015 home I thought I had made a mistake getting the N1K. I thought I was just too old (I'm 58 and 5' 9" with a 30" inseam, 195 lbs. before riding gear) for this riding position. A lot of the pain is because of the 7/8" bar and narrow grips. I'm coming from a Kawasaki Meanstreak with a 1.25" bar and Kuryakyn Iso grips, an extremely comfortable bike and riding position. The N1K in comparison felt like I was holding on to rebar.

When I mounted the Murph's I used a file to shave them down a bit where the parts from either the brake or clutch lever made contact. I went slowly, making numerous checks for fit. The angle of the levers is perfect (my wrist/hand/arm is in a straight line when seated) and both pins are fully seated. It probably took me close to an hour altogether because of the numerous checks for fit.

Prior to fitting the Murph's my hands and wrist were feeling a lot of pain after just half an hour of riding. After installing them I went for and hour and a half ride with no problems. I also installed Grab On foam grips. Those also add comfort, but not in the same league as the bar risers. The other thing that the bar risers did was to change my seating position enough so that the seat doesn't feel so much like I am sitting on a sawhorse. Plus, I'm not sliding into the tank every time I hit the brakes. I've never sat on a bike with such a hard, uncomfortable seat. The Murph's push you up enough that the ridges in the seat aren't always digging into your thighs. And, the neck pain that I would get after about an hour doesn't happen anymore either.

Murph's transformed the N1K into a comfortable bike. Before I put the bar risers on I thought I was going to have to trade it in on an FJR.

#38 ·
Murph's Bar Risers

I'm 71 in 5 weeks. I road 100 miles this morning after installing the Murph's bar risers on my 2017 Ninja. I also thought I had made a huge error in buying this bike. The bar risers and the Moto Werk peg lowering kit have completely changed my mind. Everything is more comfortable about the bike now, except the seat. (The stock seat is out for a custom rebuild at Terry's Custom Seats in TN) Not to mention comfort, I actually like the handling better with the risers and I don't catch my boots on the pegs every time I pull off. Love the looks of the bike and the inline four power. First inline four I have owned in about 17 years. Owned twin dual sports for years. Love the bags with no rack hanging on the back with they are removed. The wife is also happy because I'm not bitching about the bike now. Like Stryker, I'm going to do some modification to the risers so I can roll the levers down for more comfort.

#16 ·
I got them installed. Went in pretty easily with no filing or modifying. After adjusting the angle I have no interference from the windscreen and the brake fluid housing.

Now...I just need a nice enough day to go test them out. ;)

#17 ·
Chrispy, the tape is on the bars where the switch gear mounts (screws) on. Put on by original owner. I will investigate taking off the tape in the future. Job on weekend is to drill and tap for a securing bolt to stop any possible rotation of the adapters in the lower section. Will post photo when finished. New screen coming soon as well. Puig screen. Photos after mounting.

#19 ·
I wish you were closer. Id let you try my v stream touring.

I have such mixed feelings about it.

Yes, it does block wind.

Yes, it sounds like you are shoving your head inside a jet engine, while riding.

It has to be cold before I consider using it. Thats with several different helmets, too. Wont even go near it if Im wearing the modular helmet.

Reactions: trialsguy
#21 ·
There are other things that influence noise....helmet choice is a big one, too.

But as compared to my Puig, the V stream touring is twice as loud, at any given speed. Its probably a me thing, but this wind noise drives me nuts. I long for the days of non vented helmets, too.

For me, i'll take the wind blast over the noise, unless its cold.

Honestly, I dont know whats wrong with it. It looks liek it shoudl work. Maybe we sit too far from it?

#27 ·
There are other things that influence noise....helmet choice is a big one, too.

But as compared to my Puig, the V stream touring is twice as loud, at any given speed. Its probably a me thing, but this wind noise drives me nuts. I long for the days of non vented helmets, too.

For me, i'll take the wind blast over the noise, unless its cold.

Honestly, I dont know whats wrong with it. It looks liek it shoudl work. Maybe we sit too far from it?
When you rode with the V Stream Touring screen -
- Did you have ear plugs in?
- If so, what type of ear plugs did you have in?
- Did you ride with the shield in each of the 3 positions?
- If so, were any of the position(s) better than the others?

Thanks.

#22 ·
Sitting too far from it may have something to do with it. I know my Memphis Shades Batwing is much less noisy and offers far more protection than the full Memphis Shades Windscreen. The windscreen mounts over the headlight where the Batwing is closer to the handlebar. Even the little Slipstreamer handlebar mount flyscreen works better and is less noisy than the much larger fork mount windscreen.

My Shoei RF-1100 is a fairly quiet helmet. There are some whistling noises at certain speeds/head positions, but nothing that will drive me crazy.

#23 ·
My Shoei RF-1100 is a fairly quiet helmet. There are some whistling noises at certain speeds/head positions, but nothing that will drive me crazy.
I've tried a few full faced helmets over the years and I've always come back to the RF series. My last was the RF 1000 (that I still wear) and I just received my RF1200 about a month ago. Comfortable, quiet, lightweight.

They make great helmets and I'm a big fan of Shoei. Currently looking at their modular series for our Goldwing. Been using Scorpion 1/2 and open faced helmets for the touring bike but we've been migrating towards more armor and better protection.

Like everything else, not because I'm worried about laying my bike down.....more about the other morons on the road.

#24 ·
Back to the Murph-kit risers....got a good test run of about 160 miles today. Defintely more comfortable riding. Takes a little getting used to in the curves but over all I like them.

Two things I noticed today.

1. At 1400 miles, its even more snappy. It just keeps getting better.

2. (In relation to #1) Since I'm more upright I've noticed I have to hang on more when I twist it. :)

#28 ·
I put the Murphs on, and I don't think they are enough for me. My wrists still get sore very quickly. I am wondering if Convetibars would be better, with thicker grips on them.

As for windscreens, I highly recommend people check out the Madstad windscreen. The current plate they are selling does fit the 2017, but you can't have it in the most "upright" position without it hitting the front fairing. Since the windshield has it's own adjustments on angle and hight this doesn't really matter, and it's nice to have the two "presets" from the built in adjustments you can use.

I went with the 20 inch shield, and even without the shield as high as it could go I sit in a pocket of calm quiet air. The difference is night and day from stock. I can hear how incredible the engine sounds too now. With the adjustability of the Madstad I can make the wind hit me anyway I want, or not at all. I think it looks good too, but that is subjective.

It costs more than the other windscreens out there, but it offers so much more. For the money it is one of the best mods you can make for touring comfort.

#31 ·
Has anyone tried ape hangers?

;) You have to admit that it would be a sight to see.
That might be kinda badass seeing a knee dragger on a ninja with ape hangers. HAHA.

Bet you’re using the stock mirrors then eh??

#30 ·
So update on the winter long project to get the Convertibars on.

Just picked the bike up 2 days ago when it finally got nice here, and I love the Convertibars. I did go with longer cables as well, so it was not a cheap project. But it fixed the horrible angle of the stock bars, and now I can have them anywhere I want. They might be more buzzy than stock, I have not sure on that yet. But the road feel is actually great.

The Russel Seat is being done at the end of the month.

#35 ·
True. I installed the Murph risers about a month after I got my bike last April because my wrists and forearms were in extreme pain. Now after a year of riding (6,000 miles) I am thinking of taking them off. My riding position was all wrong. I was supporting my weight with my hands and wrists. The past few years I've had several cruisers and back in the eighties and nineties I owned Japanese standards ('80 KZ1000, 82 CB900f Super Sport, full race Seca 750). I had no idea how to ride or sit on this bike. Now as my riding is getting more and more aggressive as I gain confidence I'm finding that I want to be positioned lower and further forward: basically back to the stock position.

The very twisty, hilly back roads where I live are perfect for this bike. Of all the motorcycles I've owned this one is hands down the most fun. Initially I thought I would be using it for longer trips, most of them 2-up, but I've scrapped those fantasies. I'll keep this and get a cruiser/tourer for that kind of riding.

The engineers and marketing people designed it for a certain kind of riding and I think they nailed it. Now if they could just do something about those terrible headlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.