Aftermarket exhaust sound is supressed and bike feels its lacking power - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-16-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket exhaust sound is supressed and bike feels its lacking power

Hi Everyone,

I own a Ninja 1000 2018 I have covered 13.5k Kms on it. It has a black widow full system exhaust.

From past few days I am noticing the power of the bike feels a little less and the exhaust sound suppressed significantly. I thought it might have been something to do with throttle body and valves, and found there were some deposits on them. Hence cleaned them and after this the engine feels much smoother but the power and the exhaust sound is still low. Any help would be much appreciated. Really worried about this.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-16-2020, 09:04 PM

Do you have the baffle in the Black widow exhaust? Honest, this exhaust isnt very good. It's been shown to barely equal performance of the stock bike. If it has the baffle in place, I could see that being clogged with carbon.
w4rlock likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Yes I have the baffle. I will check if it has carbon deposits, what do I use to clean it though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 01:03 PM

If Easy Off oven cleaner doesnt work, at that point, anything you have. Wire brush does well on the hard deposits.
w4rlock likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rlock View Post
Yes I have the baffle. I will check if it has carbon deposits, what do I use to clean it though?
Maybe go out for a test ride once you take the baffle out before you go through the effort of cleaning it. At least if the bike runs as it should, you know you found the culprit. I'm sure it will definitely be louder.
rcannon409 and w4rlock like this.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 04:24 PM

Ya, take it right up in RPM and blow anything in there out,,. Carbon might be built up in the muffler itself,,. I would shine a light down there and see if something has collapsed or come loose inside?
rcannon409 and w4rlock like this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #7 of 25 Old 02-17-2020, 11:28 PM

Garage
It doesn't hurt to run some Techron or Seafoam through your engine. A bit of carbon build up over time is somewhat normal, but a few things could make it worse. If you run short trips on cold starts, the mixture will tend to run rich. Same if you have a fuel map that is on the rich side, especially if you disable the O2 sensor and run open loop.

Most aftermarket cans need to be repacked periodically. 13500 km is a bit soon, but reasonable if your engine is running rich. Some mfrs offer repack kits for their cans. There are universal ones that'll work with most cans. Its basically fiberglass matting to replace old ones that load up with soot and other exhaust contaminants over time.
Darthanubis and w4rlock like this.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)
post #8 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 08:34 AM

You'll have to snap a photo of the baffle after you remove it. When two strokes were popular....well, they are still popular, offroad, and that's where we had issues.

They made us run spark arrestors on any state owned land. Most of these aftermarket units stopped sparks by sending the exhaust through screen that was about the size of window screen. The hit oils would plug these screens often. It took longer, with 4 strokes, but it still happened. Although the baffle has larger passages, they are still fairly small as compared to the size of the exhaust outlet.
w4rlock likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-20-2020, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

This is the condition of the baffle. Also I am noticing there is some blackness near the header joining to engine.

Might be there is a leak in that cylinder, hence the power drop.

I am from India. The only available cleaning materials brands are STP, Liqui Moly, Wurth, Motul (The good ones).

Is there any products which might help in clearing the carbon deposits. I think there might be carbon inside the engine as well. I have already cleaned the valves (the best I can) and throttle body. Which solved the idling issue and bike has become much smoother. But the power drain and the exhaust sound issue remains. Kawasaki service is suspecting it might be the spark plug. But I highly doubt as I cleaned that too, and its highly unlikely that spark plugs would go bad within 13.5k Kms.

Thanks a lot for all your replies, I really appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-02-19 at 15.59.20.jpeg (60.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2020-02-20 at 15.51.57_LI.jpg (80.0 KB, 13 views)
post #10 of 25 Old 02-20-2020, 06:14 AM

Garage
Could it be clogged cats? Might take it to a muffler shop that can check back pressure in the exhaust system. The first catalyst section is right after the collector where the 4 down pipes meet up. So pressure would have to be checked in front of that.
w4rlock likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page